Looking for help (digital to print format)

mtmiller

I am fairly new to the digital world. I have a camera and love it, but recently when I had some pics printed they were cropped and it screwed up the pic. Here is an example--

P1030887.sized.jpg

This is how it looks as a digital, but when I had a 4x6 print produced, half of my melon was cut off. The photo tech said there is nothing that can be done to fix this because of the different format. Anybody have any suggestions. I have quite a few pics that I would like to print, but many will be negatively impacted by the auto cropping process that I am seeing with the local K-Mart (not many options in this town).

thanks folks for any help...

Make sure your pictures are proportionate to 4x6. The picture you posted is not. At 6 inches wide it is 4.5 inches tall which will crop the picture right at the brim of your hat when cropped from the bottom up. Size your original file to 12x18 inches then when they reduce it down for prints it will the 4x6 format. Most pics off digital cameras are not proportionate to standard print sizes...

Thanks DK. I am not to sharp, so I must ask, can I do this on the camera or do I need some software like PhotoShop? I currently do not have any software for editing. All my pictures are raw.

If I do need the software, which I assume is the case, do you have any recommendations for someone shopping on a budget?

MT
Your camera may have come with some photo altering program to load on your puter you could resize photos with but not sure. I don't like the program that came with mine, I'd much rather use Photoshop.

For someone on a budget such as yourself, I can send you a free copy of Photoshop that would do everything you need...

MtMiller, hey nice pic and nice goat!
I have my prints done by image station. They have a check box for either 4X6 or original digital sized. The digital sized pic will have white on the ends but you will get the full pic maybe just a touch smaller. I haven't tried winkflash but they are the cheapest that I have found at .17 or .18 a pic.
Imagestation is .19. Wallyworld is like .20+
The online sources are pretty fast at getting them out too.

Miller, if you push the goat a little closer to the camera, or put the camera a litter closer to the goat and put your body a little farther from the goat the goat will look bigger and the picture will crop properly.

you blow-hard. . .

Get your dead-ars out of the bars, put-out out the cancer stick, get your lung back into shape and kill a monster buck this weekend so I dont have to come over there and put you to shame by shooting the one you've been chasen all year and then have you pack him out for me -

Finalshot

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom