Looking for new 30 cal

dmick33

I am looking for a new 30 cal rifle that will shoot well at 400 yards. I am thinking 300 wsm or 300 win. Also was looking at the remington 700 or a savage. What are you thoughts?

The nice thing about the Remington 700 is that there are so many after market parts and accesories that are available if desired. Lots of people build off the action, so odds are the Remington will maintain it's value over the Savage.

As far as caliber, you really couldn't go wrong with either. They are very similar in performance. The biggest difference is one is long action and the other is short action, so take your pick.

I would get a savage long range hunter in 300 win mag. Savage or Rem will shoot well. Try both on and decide from there.

Yeah it would be nice to shoot them all but don't have tht option. I have heard good things about the savage and always have heard if the Remington. As far as caliber I do like the short mag just worried that it might die out someday and cost a ton for shells.

I have a Remington 300 WSM and love it. That said if I were to do it all over again I would just get the 300 WM due to more ammo choices. As far as performance they are virtually the same. The 2 barbary and one oryx I have shot with it didn't know the difference.

I think that savage is making the most accurate out of the box guns today. Remington has always had a good reputaion though. I would get the above-mentioned savage long range hunter. I too would go with the 300 win mag, but thats just my bias.

Well I placed the order for a remington 700 sps in the 300 wsm. I looked at the savages and I just like the fact that I can get the remington at a good price and can easily upgrade it later. And I picked the short mag cause of what I'm told is less recoil and if i can't find some ammo I like maybe ill just have to get into making my own. Thanks guys.

I can't believe guys are still falling for that bullshit that a 300wsm kicks less then a 300 WM. If you are shooting the same weight bullet at the same velocity, the recoil force is the same.

Stock design and rifle weight will have a factor on the recoil feeling lighter.

RELH

I have the same gun and have really liked it. I just barely traded the SPS stock for an aftermarket one and had the action bedded. It is a great gun for around 500yds.

}}-SLIVER-->

Silver what scope do you have on it? What stock did you go with and how much did it cost to get it bedded? Have you shot much at 500 or beyond.

>I can't believe guys are still
>falling for that bullshit that
>a 300wsm kicks less then
>a 300 WM. If you
>are shooting the same weight
>bullet at the same velocity,
>the recoil force is the
>same.
>
> Stock design and
>rifle weight will have a
>factor on the recoil feeling
>lighter.
>
>
>
> RELH

Newton - more than just a cookie.

My gunsmith had me buy a Boyds laminated stock. I wanted something lightweight for hunting and so he advised me to steer clear of the bigger tactical looking stocks, as they are heavy. He charged me $150 to do the bedding job on it. I have been using a Swarovski 4-12, but will be switching to a Vortex 6.5-20 scope. Thus far I have taken one deer and one antelope right at 500yds, and have shot elk out to 400yds. I would like this gun to be a 600 yd gun.

}}-SLIVER-->

300 WSM!!! Farthest shots to date are cow elk at 610 yards and last years buck at 642. I have reached out to targets at 900 plus without any problem. LOVE LOVE LOVE the 300 shorty!

9657shorty.jpg

LAST EDITED ON Jul-04-12 AT 10:44AM (MST)[p]Anything a 300 WSM can do a 300 win mag can do better, a chronogragh can prove it. the recoil deal is BS , I'm surprised Billy Mays didn't make that pitch.

I can get safe 3200 180gr loads out of my 300 win mags, so I haven't stepped up to the 300 RUM but if I wanted a different 30 cal that would be it.

Stay thirsty my friends

I have to agree with 440 here. I have packed my 700ss w/ Leupold vx3LR 30mm 4.5-14 & custom knobs for 15 years and it has been a tack driver from day one. I handload 165 gr Nosler BT's for deer and still dont know how to track wounded deer because I never have to.

Having spewed all that however, rifles and calibers are like pickups. Everyone has their own idea of what is the best and why so make your decision based on what you like and don't look back.

LAST EDITED ON Jul-04-12 AT 08:02PM (MST)[p]440SixPack

> I can get safe 3200
>180gr loads out of my
>300 win mags...>

How long is your barrel? What powder are you using?

24", RE-22

The 300 win mag is capible of 3100 with many 180 gr loads. 3200 is streching it I'm not going to say there aren't pressure signs, but not dangerous. my pre-64 m70 chronographs 3175 and my custom lightweight breaks 3200 with the same load.

Stay thirsty my friends

Maybe, maybe not, 1.5 grains over the listed max load. I've seen worse pressure signs in factory Weatherby loads many times.

No sticky bolt, no brass flow, average case life, no problems.

I can get 3100 with a max loads anyday , I'm not suggesting anyone exceed max ( a little ) but if this is going to catch up with me it better get with it I've been doing it for 35 years and I'm not getting any younger. it's all wrong but it's alright.

Stay thirsty my friends

I gotta agree with 440. Just because a load is say 2gr over book doesnt mean its over pressure. Every rifle and chamber are different. Most factory wby ammo is loaded well over US book max.

Chamber pressure is not linear. The only way to get 3200 fps from a 24" barrel and a 300 Winnie case is to be pushing ~70K psi. Reloader 22 is not a high energy powder, so you are well in excess of the SAAMI 62.3k psi max average pressure limit to get that speed from that short of a barrel. Was your barrel melonited?

Factory Weatherby ammo can show pressure signs in non weatherby guns as the throat may not be to Weatherby's specs. Since you can not buy ammo manufacturers powders how do you know what it's loaded to? Just because you can not duplicate the factory speeds, does not mean the ammo is over pressure. Have you attached a calibrated pressure trace system to a barrel that was chambered for the Weatherby ammo?

I use the TSX and Partition with the same load, the TSX is a little faster.

So bambi you're saying my 1.5 gr overload takes a load Nosler knows is safe in any rifle with a margin of safety and turns it into a IED ? I doubt it. you know well even though Nosler says to work up with caution they stay below the redline for obvious reasons. just for the record I shot the same load in a 26" barrel and gained 40 FPS.

I understand what you're saying and you're correct powder charges are not linear, but the facts are no pressure signs means you're not doubling the pressure with a grain of powder.

My tight chamber no freebore custom WBY rifles would have to have the bolt pounded open with a big hammer if I fired factory ammo in them, but I'm talking about factory MkV's .
I've seen factory WBY ammo cause a tight bolt lift , very flat primers and brass flow into the ejection plunger hole. no I haven't hooked up measuring devices to them to see what the pressure is but it's more than my 300 loads are running I'll bet on that.

I have a range on my ranch and friends have come out for years, I've seen every redneck stunt you can think of. loads so hot they have to take the rifle home and get the brass out, guys who say if the bolt opens easy that means add another 2 grains, primers falling out on the first firing you name it. with all that crap I've seen a couple pierced primers but never anything that hurt anyone. this has made me feel comfortable that as long as I stay at or near the loading manual and don't accept any pressure signs that even might be serious I'm golden . and it's worked fine.

Come to think of it have you hooked up measuing equipment on my rifle?

Stay thirsty my friends

That handy little disclaimer on every single box telling you it's only safe in Weatherby Rifles speaks volumes. 440 has it right they loaded their ammo to the upper end of the pressure curve knowing full well that the freebore in the chamber would reduce chamber pressure and they were safe in their guns giving excellent performance. Bambi you may want to go look in some 20 year old reloading guides and you'll see that many loads listed above maximum were safe then. Liability issues have caused all companies to be more conservative. You're certainly not wrong telling folks to stay at reasonable pressure levels but there's more to pressure than just grains of powder and throating and that's why many guns exhibit higher pressure signs well below the maximum powder charge.

LAST EDITED ON Jul-08-12 AT 08:03AM (MST)[p]440 why don't you shoot a bullet that has a little better BC? You will gain more of increase in speed and energy over a broader range. My slower (2821fps) Accubonds out perform those bullets starting at around 300 yards. I shoot the 200gr with out a problem in my shorty. They group very well and are devastating on animals. I used to shoot the TSX but they just didn't perform the way I had hoped. I don't want to start a war or anything I'm just curious and I would like to know if you have any suggestions on how to increase my speed.

The country I hunt elk in most shots are under 300 yards, or over 800 which I'm not interested in. I can get better accuracy from the partition than the accubond, I've tried it in several of my most accurate rifles and I'm just not happy with them.

For long range deer and pronghorn I use the Hornady or the ballistic tip in my 264 and 270 WBY. I've had good luck with the TSX but I wouldn't say it's the best long range bullet, not due to BC but expansion. the TTSX should cure that but I haven't tried them.

I had a 300 WSM for my wife and I couldn't quite get to 3100 ( 180 )with a load I was comfortable with. if you've reached a point you don't feel you can go any hotter going to a lighter bullet is about all you can do . I'd try a 165 in a TSX or TTSX you're going to get top speed and more retained weight than most 180's.

Stay thirsty my friends

Try the Hornady Superperformance 180 Interbond. They claim 3130 FPS. I haven't tried any in my 300, but other cartridges I have tested matched their claim. I like to roll my own, but that's not too shabby for a factory load.

That's only 70 fps from an atomic explosion but it does sound awful good for a factory load.

Anyone know about the interbond for accuracy?

Stay thirsty my friends

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom