looking for new ground pad

blazingsaddle

Any one want to sell me on a back packing ground pad they really like?
As of now its between the thermarest pro lite plus and the exped synmat 7.
Of corse pack size and weight are important, any other "must haves" out there?

LAST EDITED ON Oct-19-10 AT 04:03PM (MST)[p]Thermarests all got leaks. I like the z-lite pad to carry while I glass, makes a great seat and is light but not enought to sleep on(even with 2 stacked). So I tried the Big Agnes Insulated Aircore. AWESOME, other than the fact you blow it up. Two nights at 25 degrees and no problem with cold, and very comfortable and I just had a 3rd degree seperation of my AC joint in my shoulder 5 weeks ago. Actually used the pad the night after I did it. HIGHLY RECOMMEND and only like $80 and 24oz for 2.5" pad.

I have been using thermarest self inflating pads for going on 20
years now in the worlds stickiest, prickiest, thorniest terrain and never had a leak. Neither have any of my partners.

So if you have gotten leaks in all of your thermarests then I guess you can expect to get them in the big agnes air core as well because they aren't any tougher.
All inflatable pad vulnerable to leaks.

Wade
www.HardcoreOutdoor.com

Cats and thermarest pads don't get along. Keep them where the damn cat can't get to them. Other than that I've never had a problem in the 25 years I've been using them.

LAST EDITED ON Nov-14-10 AT 04:43PM (MST)[p]>I have been using thermarest self
>inflating pads for going on
>20
>years now in the worlds stickiest,
>prickiest, thorniest terrain and never
>had a leak. Neither
>have any of my partners.
>
>
>So if you have gotten leaks
>in all of your thermarests
>then I guess you can
>expect to get them in
>the big agnes air core
>as well because they aren't
>any tougher.
>All inflatable pad vulnerable to
>leaks.
>
>Wade
>www.HardcoreOutdoor.com

Hey Wade the tone of your response to my post seems like your are calling me out a bit. That's kind of silly given the nature of the post, we aren't talking politics, religion, or even football. Let me clarify that I am speaking about the FACTS of my experience with this product. 3 seperate Pro-lite's, two reg length and one 3/4 length, all 3/4". Never even used one more than 3-4 times. Never used on any surface but my back packing tent. Two pin hole and one seam leak to be exact. Even worse is that before they leaked, on most nights the 3/4" thickness was not enough to offset the cold air deflation that left you feeling the rocks. I have two of the folding Z-lite pads I use mostly for sitting on while i glass, but they are very very light, durable, and economical and I recommend them to all my friends. I considered trying the Thermarest Neoair, but the cost did not seem warranted and there where too many feedback sources that commented on the seams giving way. SO, are you doubting that I am stating my honest opinion, because you have a habit of starting arguements over these kinds of things. All you had to do is state your opinion about your experience. It's funny because if you read your post it sounds like you are saying I was exaggerating, but if you and your MANY friends have never had a leak in 20+ years of use, when as you clearly stated, these things are all subject to leaks, that doesn't seem logical now does it, especially in prickly thorny areas instead of in my tent.

Next time feel free to state your opinion and avoid stepping on mine unless you have a good reason.

Tone of my message? I think you're being oversensitive and that is what is silly. You sound like someone with whom I definately would not want to discuss politics or religion and certainly not football.

You posted a negative comment about Therm-a-Rest pads. If I thought you were lying or making it up I would have said so explicitly but since you know something about me you already know that. I have had a very different experience over a long period of time with Therm-a-Rest pads as have the people I have worked, hunted and backpacked with. Not one leak in all that time. That was the message of my post.

Maybe we are lucky, maybe we are more careful, maybe you are unlucky or careless or both. Who knows but I will keep using and recommending Therm-a-Rest inflatable products until they prove unworthy.

Again, all inflatable sleeping pads are vulnerable to leaking. That is a fact and there can be no argument with that statment unless you just want to argue for the sake of arguing.

Wade
www.HardcoreOutdoor.com

I really like the thermarests and have had great luck with them.
I love the big agnes pad I used this year.
It is light, warm and VERY comfortable.

I would rate the big agnes number 1.

Sleeping pads are my biggest issue backpacking, can't seem to get a decent night sleep no matter what I try. Tried thermarests Neoair this year, it is very comfortable alone, however I beef up the padding with egg crate foam, two layers. Combined this system only weighs a little over 2 pounds and it's as good as sleeping at home, the egg crate is a little bulky, but worth the space to me. My grandfather backpacked all over the high sierras, with nothing more than one layer of egg crate foam, he gave it to me some 30 plus years later, now I use it every trip. As for glassing, I have a 2" piece of fairly firm foam about the dimensions of the bottom of my backpack that weighs next to nothing, it's the ticket for glassing all day long!

Fly
I had the same issue, always packed tons of pads. Now that I have the big agnes I do great. I love it.

NeoAir is the most comfortable sleeping pad I've used. Add a Z lite in cold weather.

I have the green middle grade thermarest and the exped 7. The exped is almost 3 times as thick. Its not really comparing apples to apples but I can actually get a good nights sleep on my exped. The exped is more comfortable than the thermarest but also double the price.

I didn't start backpacking until I was almost 40 and I admit I don't do well on any of the thinner pads, at least not after a few hours. My Big Agnes does the trick, but I notice that all three of my boys(19,16,12)think a z-lite is like having a Beautyrest. I'm starting to think the difference between their opinion in mine is age :(

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom