Looking into 16E for next year

Trad Bow 1979

So I might be proactive or overly obsessed but I am already trying to plan for next year. I see that 16E has a great success rate with very good odds of drawing a tag for archery. That kind of makes me wonder why so few people put in for that unit. Looking at Google Earth makes it appear to not have a lot of elk habitat. I also see there is a bit of private land in there as well. But can anyone give any real reason why not very many peopel put in for that unit?

Aaron,
We should put in for a unit together. Gather my dad, granddad, your dad, and us and go for an elk unit together see if we can all tag out. I'm sure you would be a great teacher for my dad and I lol seeing as how we never really have much luck.

I have thought of this unit over the years but never have applied...a lot of what i hear is "access" into the public that holds elk...there are two huge ranches (adobe ranch is one and can't think of the other) there that block off anything that touches their property...there are ways in but it's quite a hike from what i hear...maybe i just need to go out there and hike it for myself...

The reason for less applicants/better odds is that one cannot camp in the majority of the eastern half of the unit (state land). So camping on BLM or Forest and trying to access in/out of that portion every day is simply not feasible.

Carl

LAST EDITED ON Oct-02-14 AT 02:01PM (MST)[p]Low numbers of elk. Rut usually hits late. 400 ft deep canyons and tough to chase them, a lot of open land. Rough roads.....6 trucks got stuck last year for half the hunt. Very little water which would equate to low numbers of elk. The other 16's are much better units. Yes paddys hole is somewhat close if you want to ride and atv on a rocky a@# road for 14 miles that takes over an hour. Pelona is better to hunt.

the above posts are why i am fond of 16E, there are great bulls and it is pretty much impossible to road hunt. if thats what you want to do apply for 15 or 16C. 16E is going to require some work.

Thanks for all the feedback guys! I think it sounds a lot like unit 48. Unit 48 has very limited camping areas, and according to the Game Biologist in that area he said you aint getting a trailer down those roads. It seems like many of these units that are primarily state land have nasty roads. I do not know about the posts saying that there are low elk numbers. Its hard to imagine that when you look at the success rate in 16E last year for archery. I know it is not the best 16 hunt there it is, but I think its worth a look. Thanks again for the info guys. Jonathon, the only rifle hunt I am putting in for next year is Barbary sheep, everything else will be archery. What are you putting in for?

We will probably be putting in for our usual. More than likely it will be deer and elk for rifle or muzzle loader. I would like to do a archery hunt but who knows what we will do.

Last year success rates were an anomaly look at previous years to get a better feel for success rates for that unit (there is a reason no one puts in for that unit). It is a brutal to hunt, but if you want to hike in some nasty, rocky, steep, and rattle snake infested country have at it. Better bring your rain gear too, the rain never stops there during archery season. Finally I didn't see or hear about one bull being killed there this year on any archery hunt.
Oh yeah enjoy camping at Paddy's Hole with 20 other hunters ridding ATVs in and out all night long.
I realize this makes me sound like a whiner, but I am just trying to help. Go down there now and check it out if you don't believe me, don't wait until you have drawn the tag to learn the hard way.

Ha ha WOW!! A couple posts look like alotta B.S. HA HA I think somebody may have even created a second account to tell some fibs ha ha.

Hunted it hard 1st archery season. Saw a few cows here and there and that was it. If I were to hunt it again which I want, I would hunt it late when the bull are on the move.

Tough hunt with limited access. Most easy access is thru private,if you want to call the ranch roads easy....hence no access. The few roads in and thru are poor at best,and everyone goes in that way.
Nice elk country believe it or not.Peaks above and the San Augustine plains going on for miles. Not many places left like it.

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom