low recoil cal and model for girlfriend

Dave32g

i tried to get my girlfriend to like my 300 win mag but she just cant shoot it. she shoots the 22-250 great with no problem but the 300 is a different story. i have been looking at the remington 700 vtr in a 308. but i was just wondering what every body else might suggest.

thanks....
dave

My wife shoots a Remington rifle in 270 winchester and has no recoil problems.

There are some good choices here and all of them will work for deer sized game and if you make the right choice for that ocassional elk if that's in the cards. Most women love the .243, .260, .7mm/08, .308 and the .25/06 and all of them are light recoiling, with good accuracy using light bullets. Now that Remington has reduced loads in a variety of calibers that opens up many other options. Just make sure you start with a shorter length of pull that fits her, and a good recoil pad like a decelerator or Simms etc, in any caliber. There are some excellent womans/youth models out there from some quality companies for you to choose from that come set up with this in mind. Make it fun for them and they'll enjoy it more and want to shoot with you. Just don't make the classic mistake of trying to think you know just how much recoil they like (everybody's different) and over gun them and you'll be fine.

I'd set her up with a .257 Roberts or a 25-06. Lots of good ones out there and certainly they're not limited to woman's use. Next level up might include the 7mm-o8, 270 Win, and 280 Rem.

I've been thinking about getting a nice little light weight 7mm-08 for myself.

Joey

buy her a stevens model 200 in .243 and if or when you need more power buy a 7mm-08 or 308 barrel and swap it on.used or new barrels sell for about 40-60 used, 50-80 new takeoffs. tell someone with a tc single shot you bought a new barrel for 70 bucks and SMILE.............ce61

270 wcf, in a featherweight ,rem mountian rife or the like.

Most of the other calibers in this class just screw around with gimmics trying to be about the same thing as a 270.

try looking at a rem. model 7, or a ruger fronter, in a .243, or better yet, a .260 rem. short&light handling and easy to shoot.

Try to find someone who will let shoot one of the calibers mentioned see which one she likes. My friends wife shoots a.243 no problem. My wife can shoot 25-06 it is a nice easy shooter with mild recoil when compared to magnums.

That rem vtr is more of a varmint rifle. Way too heavy to be packing around the hills......nothing will end your hunt faster than an old lady bit<hin about a heavy rifle. Go with a short action (308,7-08,260,243,etc) with a typical barrel contour.

"A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed."

Look for a Remington model 7 .260 for deer 7mm-08 for elk

"Let's keep things in perspective.I mean for Peet's sake there are kids in Africa that don't even hunt....hello" Jimmy Big Time

I bought my wife a 7mm-08 in the Savage 116, stainless. I love that trigger so much I may buck my Browning trend and get a Savage as my next gun. It's light, short, mild-recoilin and shoots as good as I can.

I reload 139 gr SSTs for deer/antelope and will begin work on 140 gr Barnes for elk this spring.

I also have a .280 that i started both my son and daughter with and now my step-son. On the daughter I downloaded 120 Nosler BTs for her to shoot and when we hunted she used either 140 Partitions or X-bullets. My son at 13 went right to the 140 gr huntin loads. My step-son at 15 has problems with those loads. And the gun is ported. Recoil affects folks differently.

I love the selection of 7mm bullets, the 7mm-08 is very mild recoiling and is versatile enough to use for most game at reasonable distances.

But before you spend money, borrow a .270 or .280 and if she handles that well I'd go with one of those. I believe in as much gun as you can handle COMFORTABLY and can shoot accurately.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom