LRAB Or Berger VLD ?

LAST EDITED ON Apr-05-15 AT 08:57PM (MST)[p]

Really ? ya think ? I know the guy who started this thread.

Gee you wouldn't ever try to start a pizzing match would you sage? and If Buzzed wants to comment that's what a forum is for, but if he's going to take cheap shots I'll return them.

Buzzed, doe rhymes better with dink than calf does. I bet I've killed more elk than you have, unlike you I've lived in elk country my whole life and own land with depredation tags. my could I impress you with all those cow pictures if I had taken any. how many bulls over 360 have you taken? how many over 380? maybe you're the one who needs an outfitter .

Glad you brought outfitters up, thanks to your inspector Clouseau incompetence with your legislation the outfitters kicked your azz and the NR quota went unchanged. your attempts to control politics are as feeble as your shooting advice, and for that we thank you.

I could go on this is fun, but I'm too good for that.

Stay thirsty my friends

im a long ways from self destructing muley.
i do thank you for at least spelling your sub par attempts at smack talking correctly. we are finally making progress.

@sage, believe it or not, there was only slightly more meat wasted from that deer in the carnage shot than would have been w/ perfect heart shot. (maybe 4 pieces of jerky) the bullet entered behind the rib cage and exited the sternum. neither front quarter had any blood shot meat in it. believe me, there was no undue suffering involved in that hit, it was over as quick as anything ive ever seen.

at the end of the day, im just trying to sanity check my own decisions. if i get a 5" group w/ the bergers 200 yards farther out than i do with the AB or ABLR, do i have a good reason not to use them? i havent seen a convincing argument yet (especially the 210, 300g version) the only consistently repeated argument against them seems to involve a shot misplaced far enough to hit a front leg bone on an elk sized critter.

LAST EDITED ON Apr-05-15 AT 09:04PM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON Apr-05-15 AT 09:00?PM (MST)

LAST EDITED ON Apr-05-15 AT 08:59?PM (MST)

crap. im a complete hipocrite. i have shot a critter in the hind quarters w/ a berger before. i spaced it, but the evidence is still on my iphone. i had this slightly below ave doe jackalope quartering slightly away at 510 yards. i had a dead rest and took the shot. something went horribly awry and the 210g berger drifted 2" down and 1" left and hit it square in the hind quarters. the bullet obviously failed to expand and the carnage wasnt at all like what ive seen before. most of the meat was ruined and the bullet clearly failed. anyone have any pics to compare vs a 200AB in this scenario? one shot, cold barrel 300rum, jackwabbit at 500 yards?

http://www.monstermuleys.info/photos/user_photos3/8888img_3027.jpeg

Careful, you're going to give Buzz an inferiority complex if you post bigger stuff than he does.

Stay thirsty my friends

I'll level with you, elk aren't my thing, never have been. On my personal scale, they're not a top 5 animal that I care to hunt.

Just to clarify your confusion on "elk country", I've lived in 2 states, Montana and Wyoming. Last I checked, both are "elk country".

Not sure how many states you've lived in, but when counting, don't forget the states of denial, drunken, and confused...

I hunt elk because they're handy, decent table fare, and I can get 5-6 tags a year. Filled 5 tags in 8 days and 3 hours this past season. Helped 5 other people get theirs too.

Frankly, I'd sell my rifles and take up golf before I hired an outfitter for an elk hunt, even with the best elk tag in the country. I care so much about elk hunting, the last rifle bull tag I drew in Arizona (2012) I donated to Arizona Hunt of a Lifetime.

Killed my first elk in Montana in 1981:

buzzelk13.JPG

Killed my 60th this season, all on public land, all DIY:

DSC00598.JPG

Like I said, elk aren't my thing and I don't take it very serious.

AZ_Elk%20056.jpg

575.JPG

IMG_3300.JPG

A guy who doesn't give two chits about elk but you take pictures of cows and you keep count? you either care a lot or you haven't killed 60 , or both. and you hunt out of state for elk but you don't give a chit if you hunt elk or not. you're a disingenuous blowhard.

I have no idea how many I've killed , but I've been shooting them off hay stacks and out of hay fields since I was 10. it's a lot, but I didn't keep count or take pictures because I'm not proud of killing cows its just damage control.

When it comes to bulls in the forest I do keep track because I care a lot just like you do. if I could only hunt one big game animal it would be elk.

I know you think outfitters and hunters who hire them are losers but that's just another of your useless opinions. 90% of my bulls have been DIY but my two biggest were guided. maybe you should try it and you might get that book bull you're dreaming of.

Stay thirsty my friends

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom