Marine Corps or US Army?

MichaelJ

Very Active Member
Title says it all. I'm going to be a senior this next year and am not sure which branch of the military I want to enter. My buddy just left for the USMC a week ago so I am looking forward to picking his brain when he gets back. I figured I could ask my hunting brothers what they think!

A little bit about myself, my average GPA over the years has been a 3.5 +. I'm doing "Running Start" so I will graduate highschool with my AA DONE! I am athletic and scored an 82 on the ASVAB when I was 15 two years ago.

I want to go in for infantry. I want to be up on the front lines with my buddies that I go through bootcamp with. I don't enjoy the thought of them being on the front lines and myself sitting at some desk somewhere. Since I will be entered as an E3 (because of the AA degree), I have no doubt that I will be on the fasttrack in whatever branch I enter. Something that I've also given A LOT of thought (4-5 months) into is applying for Sniper School. I want to be on the front lines, but I want to be doing something a little more "high profile" than going door to door or disarming IED's.

My PolyScience teacher told me to join the USMC (Try for the Marine Recon Unit instead of a Army Special Forces Unit), as they are less political in their missions/objectives. For that reason I'm leaning towards the Core. Ever read Oliver North's book "Mission Compromised"? Try it, you wouldn't want to be a "Political Soldier" either after reading that book.

So, whats your advice? I can't wait to leave this town and get out and feel like I'm doing something (Wenatchee WA). I love it here, but it's full of "Has Been's, and "Never Will Be's" and it's a good place to come back to but you got to get out of here and go do something with your life (military or college seems about the only two options). I see some guys at our parties that are living the exact same way they were when they were my age.

Michael

"What I could do, I was doing, and that was simply putting my butt on the line for my country, the country that I loved, so that all the protestors and the academics and the liberal intelligentsia back home could enjoy the right to protest against people like me, the hated middleclass." --Gary R. Smith, US Special Forces

First of all let me salute you for being so eager to get into the fight. i've been a Marine for 21 years now, so I may have a little bias. What you get when you enter the Corps is a chance to prove yourself and win the title of US Marine, nothing else. You will not enter the Marines as an E-3. You can get contract PFC which is E-2. If you are graduating with a 2 year degree, you could redo your ASVAB and get a higher score, and maybe attempt Officer Candidate School. You can volunteer for infantry as an officer as well. If you don't want to be an officer, the Marines will take you for enlisted infantry as well. You will get no promises of extra pay, or bonuses. You will get a chance to be part of the most elite fighting force in the world. The Marine Corps has that respect from all nations. Many countries model their military training off the Marine boot camp.

Who's the best? Well I'll say Marine Corps, but any Soldier will likely tell you the Army is best. We all have our pride. But being out here in Iraq working around both, I can tell you all are doing a phenominal job. I would say the Marines have better discipline though and tend to carry themselves with a more prideful air. I have a nephew who was a soldier and was part of the unit that got Saddam, and didn't like it. I have a nephew who was Marine infantry and was shot in Fallujah. He liked it alot but for his wife and kids, he got out.

Whatever your choice, good luck.

Go Army. I went in right out of highschool at 17 years old. Had a great time and went to some cool places.

I went Infantry, Airborne Ranger. And after all my training I came back to Ft Lewis, WA and spent my time in 2nd Ranger Batt. Hard but fun.

What ever you pick good luck.

My hunting buddies oldest son just graduated from UNV and left for the Army at Ft. Benning, GA for Basic. Then from there he will go to Ft. Bragg, NC for Jump School, even though he has been skydiving since he was 16. Got a headstart on the others there. Then back to Ft. Benning for somemore training and then somewhere else for Jungle Warfare. He will be in training for 2 years before he sees action, if there is anything going on then.

He is going in as a enlisted as he didn't want the OCS route like his close friend.

Brian

What is it that you are after? If it is something that you will be able to make a career of down the road you might want to think about the Air Force. I had a brother that joined the AF and one that went into the Army. So hearing everything that they had to say it was a no brainer for me. I did 4 years in the AF. I learned electronics and have had a great paying job since I got out. And I didn't have to pay a penny for my education. Plus I got to see the whole world and wasn't in a single war zone. Not that that isn't great or anything but it wasn't what I was after. I was in the first Gulf War and was sent to Turkey. We would watch our jets take off with a full load of bombs and come back a few hours later empty. That was my extent of the war. Plus the last selling point for the AF is the girls in the AF are hands down better looking than any other branch. Just something to think about. Good luck with your decision and I commend you.

Marines all the way, less politics, best training, can be more enjoyable with less "Headgames" to play, right now there is a war going on, but serving in peace time I think the marines is the way to go for a career as opposed to the Army. But like some others have mentioned I am bias as I served for 16 years before a medical discharge sent me back to the civilian world.
You can go on Sea duty, Embassy Duty, DI Duty, Recruiter duty... just generaly have more fun.

A little Joke for you...

Why do they issue Marines swords????

To deal with those not impressed.

Simper Fi

Nate

Michael, I wasn't in the military so I can't speak personally. My best buddy joined the Marines out of high school back in Viet Nam era. We didn't win that war, but it wasn't his fault. Lord knows he tried.

Anyway he ended up retiring after 27 years.(at age 45!) He lives in Montana and works part time for Fish and Game (or what ever it's called). Come hunting season that's all he does is hunt. Alaska, Canada, Montana, even South America last year. So a career is something to think about.

Good luck on your decision.

Steve

What ever branch you join, I am sure you will do very well. I just want to say i am proud that there are young men in this country that are willing to join the armed forces and be defenders of freedom. Thank you for that.

Good luck I whatever you choose.

P.S. I hear there is an Air Force base in Alaska. That wouldn't be to bad.

elkantlers

LAST EDITED ON Jun-13-06 AT 10:31PM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON Jun-13-06 AT 10:30?PM (MST)

MichaelJ,

You sound like I did 15 years ago when I was 17. Good Asvab score (If I remember correctly the same as mine), physically fit and wanted to go infantry, and then sniper. I did all those things, so I'm going to give you the straight scoop on what your about to do:

Boot camp will be very motivating and almost seem too easy, especially if your fit and understand what your about to get into.

MCT and SOI, you'll kind of start to wonder why you enlisted. I think they combine MCT with boot camp nowdays. Anyways SOI isn't all that much fun.

Fleet Marine Force Infantry. It won't matter what rank your promissed, Your a boot, almost worse than being a recruit. Plus most of these people you are supposed to look up to can tell you how many days they got left until they are discharged, even if its 2 years away.

Being a grunt, you mostly clean weapons, barricks, stand in formations, and hurry up and wait. And sometimes you'll be in the field for weeks at a time (and its not as fun as it seems). While you spend your time their, especially with your intelligence level, you too will most likely be dreaming about ##### (your high school girlfriend will be long gone by now) and counting the days until you get your DD214.

Now for the good:

You actually are sacrificing something(because like I said earlier, it's not all camping trips and shooting guns) for your country while your buddies are smoking dope in college. Half of them will probabbly drop out.

You will meet the best friends of your life, some of them will be better friends than you had in high school within a few days. And when you get out you will probabbly never speak to them again, but you'll never forget these friends' names.

You will most likely visit some awesome places and have stories and memories superior to most.

Get the GI bill, it's an awesome deal. You'll breeze through college when your out.

Even though it will suck most of the time, after your out for a few, you'll be glad you did it, and appreciate things more. And you'll be proud to be a Marine.

As for becoming a sniper, when I was in you could not even do the indoc. until you had a pump under your belt, which means you got at least a year and a half with a line company. They most likely will not send you to the Quantico school unless you agree to reenlist (the battalion or division schools are pretty good though).

Good Luck, and if you decide to serve, the most important thing you can do is to keep yourself and your buddies safe.

If you have any questions, PM or email and I'll be happy to answer them.

Great posts guys! I honestly can't wait to get out and git 'r done! Here's a very nice response I got at another forum where I"m a member....

"Quote from: thorman944 on Today at 06:44:25 AM
Army Rangers is not equivelant of Marine Recon. Marine Recon = Navy SEAL= Delta Force, etc...

they may think that they are, but they are simply elite infantry, just like Marines. "

I wouldn't say that... You may make a case against the Rangers being the equivalent of the Delta Force, Seals or Recon. But they aren't a straight across the board equivalent of the basic Marine Infantryman.

I'd say Go Army all the way. I'll admit that the Marines have somewhat cornered the market on the whole Image factor, but there is a lot more to it than that. I was also torn between joining the Marines or the Army, but once I made my decision to become a Solider I realized that there is so much history and legacy in the US Army.

If you choose the Army and depending on where you get stationed you'll realize pretty quick the pride and history behind some of the most highly recognized divisions in the US Army.. For example; Any of the Cavalry Divisions (such as the 7th Cav), the 101st and 82nd Airborne, the 75th Ranger Regiment and many more too numerous to name. However, there is a sense of pride when you're wearing that Unit's/Divisions patch on your shoulder and it's recognized almost immediately.

I strongly believe that US Army is a far better choice, not just for the prestige, but also for the opportunities and advancement. I'm sure it's changed quite a bit in the past 6yrs that I've been out, but if given the half the chance to do it again, I'd GO ARMY ALL THE WAY.....

However, don't just base it on Image alone. I'm sure there are hundreds of people on this site and other's that you'll talk to who will all brag to no end about their own branch of the military. But when it comes to pride there are no real winners, just men/women who love what they do or did in the military. So whatever branch you choose you can't really go wrong, so just weigh all the pro's and con's of each branch and make your decision. Don't cave into the pressure of those who tell you the Army is too easy or the Marines too controlling with no opportunities.

Just go where it will make you happy and give you what you feel is the best chance in life....

"What I could do, I was doing, and that was simply putting my butt on the line for my country, the country that I loved, so that all the protestors and the academics and the liberal intelligentsia back home could enjoy the right to protest against people like me, the hated middleclass." --Gary R. Smith, US Special Forces

First I would like to say that whatever branch of service you go into my hats off to you for making that decision and defending our country and freedom. It is something that will stay with you for the rest of your life and the pride and knowledge you will gain from it will be unsurpassed.
I must admit and some will agree or disagree with me, but my military experience has had more of an impact on my life than anything else, including my father's death or the birth of my children.

If you want to pursue a career in some type of law enforcement or security in the civilian world then go Army or Marines and serve in a combat related MOS. Sniper would be an excellent choice and one I tried to get into.
If you want technical then go Air Force or Navy. I know serveral people in the telecommunications world(my current job)who had technical training in the Air Force and Navy and now make big dollars.
I would definitely go for something that will benefit you in the civilian world when you get out, whether you do a short hitch or stay in for twenty and retire. Make sure you use your college fund when you get out.

Here are some examples.

My youngest brother was EOD(Explosives Ordnance Disposal)in the Air Force and he has a nursing degree on top of that. He got his degree using his college fund from the Air Force. He worked as a nurse at a couple of hospitals for ten years and has had multipal opportunities in the civilian world to make big dollars(six figure income)using both fields together as a EOD nurse. There is a call in law enforcement for that type of technical work and training.

My middle brother has been in the Army for twenty years now and will retire next year as a 1ST. SGT.
He spent five years with the 3rd Ranger Battalion in Ft. Benning. He won the "Best Ranger Competition" in 1989 and then spent four years at Ranger Department as a Ranger School Instructor. He has a background in Tae Kwan Do and has taught all kinds of self defense to law enforcement, including FBI along with weapons training and Ranger tactics.
With his training and plenty of combat experience,he has had different agencies knocking down his door wanting him to work for them. For him in the world of security or law enforcement the opportunities are endless.

Myself, I spent seven years with the Army in Artillery. I was involved in PRP(personal reliability program)and worked with artillery nukes.I did some EOD work too.What a blast!
I also was an armorer,(small arms weapons repair) and worked the unit and depot maintenance level.
A back injury forced me to get out because I was not able to perform the job I wanted to get into after requesting change of MOS.

"RKBA....ALL THINGS CONSIDERED"

Thank you for the encouragement. I appreciate it. As far as I know, the Marines rarely give out signing bonuses and benefits from the beginning. With my ASVAB score I could get up to $20K if I went Army Infantry. However, after talking with many others (see this thread for more info: http://ramchargercentral.com/boards/index.php?topic=78295.0) I'm leaning more towards the USMC. Mainly because of the better training (for entry level jobs), better comraderie, and for all the other great stuff I've heard about it. That and I've heard some negative things about the Army over in Iraq and about a bunch of the stupid stuff they've done (talked to a marine last night that's been in for 2 years and is being deployed next weekend).

Well as an Army Vet you know which service I'd pick.

I looked into the USMC as well, but they only have a handful of bases. If you go Infantry in the USMC you can choose pretty much between California and North Carolina. In the Army you can serve in Washington, Colorado, Germany, Alaska, Hawaii, Kansas, Georgia, Italy, to name a few.

I currently work for the Air Force and would not recommend that service to a young man looking for a little adventure. They are very Corporate and back-stabish to each other. But if you want a safe and boring job, they're your service.

MichaelJ, remember no matter where you go you are going to hear negative things about the Army from Marines and vice versa.

If you are leaning toward the Marine Corps, then do it. If it's the Army, try that one. You have to make the decision for yourself. Don't let anyone make that choice for you. Do what feels right.

Either way you go just make sure you get some of that government money for college when you get out. And by all means, don't be one of those pansies and say the only reason you joined was for the college. Those are the a$$holes that eventually flee to Canada.

"RKBA....ALL THINGS CONSIDERED"

I salute you for going this route, I haven't been in any service but wish you the best of luck in serving our country, its great to see someone who desires this. Think long term of what you want to do when you get out too.

I know you & your cous. don't like me or my humor much, but I would like to apologize & say best of luck in whichever move you make, considering the current issues to have the fortitude sufficient to consider any enlistment is courageous to say the least, either way I consider your decision admirable & would like to thank you in advance.

Either one is honorable, Im glad I did my time and I miss those that stood beside me, alot. ... COSA gave you the straight scoop for either branch. Good luck, keep your head down and your rifle close.

BFE, I think you got me confused with someone else. No cousins of mine frequent this board at all so no apology needed. Thank you though it means a lot.

A couple guys that I know just got back from afghanistan (both signed up for Marine Infantry) and are going to be at the recruiters office tomorrow so I'm deffinately stopping by. I want a combat oriented job and want to be doing the most activities. Not just doing guard duty (I know that most likely won't happen, but hey, you can always try right?).

What questions would you suggest I ask tomorrow? Thanks.

On a personal note I just read some other posts and I want it to be known that I'm glad I'll be going in under the Bush Administration. Helluva lot better than Kerry ever would've been and I wouldn't have it any other way!!!!!

if you want to go with a combat MOS there is always combat engineer. You have to learn and know the infantry side because you will often be out with them on patrol. I came in a combat engineer and loved every minute of it. You work with explosives alot, mines, booby traps and such on the combat side of it. On the other side, you get to also learn alot of construction. Currently in Iraq, the combat engineers are seeing almost as much action as the infantry, regardless of which unit they are with. That MOS will also give you something to use for a job when you get out.

It's a great job.

MichaelJ,
Speaking from experience I would seriously reconsider the infantry and take huntFX4's advice. Odds are your not going to make a career out of it so you might as well get some skills while your there. With your asvab score, the infantry won't exactly challenge your intelligence. But, your probabbly as strong willed as I was when I was 17, so good luck and keep yourself safe whatever route you take.

Cosa, sounds like we do have a lot in common. I'm just about to head to the office right now and thought I'd get online for a last minute check. The thing is, I really want to do Sniper I just think I could handle the mental stress and I'm a huge problem solver. I think I'd be good at it. And I can't get into sniper school by going Combat Engineer, only infantry.

Here's a question, when you reenlist for a second 4 years, do you have the same MOS or can you switch?
You'll be getting a PM tonight when I get back as I would really like to get ur phone # and give you a call. BTW, whats ur real name? lol

MichaelJ, my phone # is (775) 623-4545 or 304-5028. You should not even be considering reenlisting right now. Please do not sign any 6 year contracts for guaranteed promotion to LCPL. There is no difference between a PFC and a LCPL in the fleet, in fact you'll have solid privates that got busted for some reason or another that will be "above" you. It's great to be all "Gung ho" now, but that's most likely going to change in a year or two. You will see in a year or two about keeping you and your buddies safe is what is the most importarant. The best thing you can remember is that your sacrificing for your country, because I can almost guarantee the Marine Corps Infantry will be a sacrifice. Try to keep a somewhat positive attitude or the 4 years will drag on forever.
Jerry

Well, I went in today but the Marine Recruiters were all out of town at a different office. So I went into the Army office to talk again. Had a really great discussion about possibly being a Crew Chief on either an Apache or Chinook helicopter (Chinook only because their off duty time is pretty well spent. Talked to a guy on the phone that flew I believe the Comanche and the guys that were flying the chinooks had all sorts of cool stuff in their bird... such as a bigscreen TV, X boxes, internet connections, fold down pingpong table..etc
I asked him if he could do it over again what bird he would fly. He recommended the Apache because it's a simple 2 man crew, and you get some of the highprofile missions (roof top drops, long range attacks..etc), that and you get a chance to be a door gunner.

I'm not sure if I'll have time tomorrow to go back to the Marine office, but I hope I do.

I think I've made my decision though. If I decide to go into ground forces then it's the Marines, if I do something more technical like flying a helo or such, I want the Army. I'm guaranteed my MOS in the Army while in the Marines I'm not.

LAST EDITED ON Jun-20-06 AT 10:15PM (MST)[p]Being a crew cheif on a helo is probabbly a much more exciting way to go, plus you would not have to participate in the games of the Marine infantry. You'll also aquire more useful skills for your future. Maybe I'm a little paronoid, but being in a helicopter for 3 years definately ain't the safest thing in the world, but at least you get flight pay. And there's probabbly a reason or two the Marines don't guarantee every high school kid a sniper MOS before they enlist. Whatever route you decide, once you think you made a decision, don't sign any papers for at least a month or two. Make sure your confident in your commitment. The recruiters will have all kind of reason's to sign up immediately and to join there service. Whatever your promissed make sure the i's are dotted and the t's crossed on any contract your about to sign. I'm in no ways trying to talk you out of serving our country. But take a few weeks to think about you options and your decision will probabbly be easier.

I understand what your saying about not guaranteeing a Sniper MOS to highschool kids, but it happens to many more than you think. That same guy that I talked to who scored a 99 on the ASVAB (he's also breezed through the ranks in only 2 years. Not sure what rank he is, but I know it's high) signed up to be a combat engineer. He got out of basic and they put him in for Artillery! He's deffinately one of those guys that has it all and if anybody deserved the MOS he signed up for, it was him.

I'm looking at the GoArmy.com site and it seems that I need to attend WOCS (Warrant Officer Candidate School) to see if I qualify for Warrant Officer Basic Course (WOBC)where I will learn specifically how to maintain/operate whatever helo I do. I was under the impression today at the recruiters that I could just go in and qualify with my test scores but it doesn't look that way. Looks like I'll have some more questions for the Recruiter.

At least when I was enlisted, the chances of becoming a warrant officer within the first 4 years, or ever, were worse than drawing a tag on the strip, maybe the army's different. Now a crew chief on a chinook is probabbly likely.

Again today I was under the impression that I could become a crewchief on a helo. However looking at their online site, the only place that says I'll be able to "operate" a helo is under the warrant officer section. I need to call the recruiter and check it out.

What is the difference between a Crew Chief and a Warrant Officer? Thanks.

Another good job that goes with helos is a flight medic. Pluss there are a ton of good jobs in the medical field that you could get into after your service ( lifeflight for one ). There is a flight medic unit at Ft Lewis.

LAST EDITED ON Jun-20-06 AT 11:52PM (MST)[p]A warrant officer is a an officer from the emilsted ranks. Technically they rate below a 2nd leutanant, but since they usually served quite a few years as enlisted, they are respected much more. A warrant officer also actually flies helocopters. A crew chief is enlisted, they basically are in charge of the cabin of a troop carrying helos such as the chinook, they also man any weapons out the side door such as a 50 cal or M-60. I'm just guessing its the same in the army as in the Marines, and I'm no expert on the way the air wing works. Next time you talk to the recruiter and he talks about flying apaches, ask him to guarantee being a warrant officer in your contract and see what he says. I'd stay away from any recruiter feeding you half truths, go talk to a different army recruiter.

I served in Avaition in the Army so I know a little about it. A crew chief is a mechanic and the helicopter is his bird. The only nonflying crew chiefs are AH-64 Apache and OH-58D Kiowa Warrior crew chiefs. If you want to fly you need to sign up to work on UH-60 Blackhawks or CH-47 Chinooks. My MOS as a Aeroscout has vanished in the mid-90's but I flew on OH-58C Kiowa's.

Avaition is the best branch in the Army IMO. The folks that are in army avaition have a brain, unlike a lot of folks you'll meet in other MOS's.

Very few pilots come straight "From High School to Flight School", but the majority of our pilots were crew chiefs first and then applied to be a flight warrant, and the majority of the guys that I knew that applied got picked up.

Give Avaition a whirl, I bet you'll love it, and you still get your weapon to play with as a crew cheif (on Blackhawks & Chinooks), and man is that FUN!

Okay, I should've specified this earlier. When I first told him I might be interested in being a door gunner for a helo he suggested the crew chief position. I did not ask to fly them only be a door gunner. So he was telling me the truth, however in my inexperience on the apaches I thought that by being a "gunner" I would also get to fly the bird. I understand now, and it don't sound like to bad of a job and has lots of opportunities when you get out. As far as seeing combat I would love to see action from the door manning a .50 cal or minigun!

Michael

I didn't have time to get into the office today, but here's what I"m thinking...
If I still decide I want to go in as some sort of ground force combat related MOS then I want the Marines. However, if I decide to do some other combat related job (like avionics) then I want the Army. Guaranteed ur MOS and better advancement opportunities... etc what do you think? Thanks.

Also, I wouldn't mind doing what COHunter did, being crewchief for four years, then possibly re-enlisting and applying for WOCS. Plus there's lots of opportunities when I get out.

I have to tell you that if your recruiter told you he can't guarantee your MOS, he is not quite telling the truth. I came in guaranteed. The recruiter and MEPPS tried to tell me if i wanted to be an engineer i had to wait several months to ship. i told them i would go engineer and i would ship by a specific date of my choosing or i wouldn't go. I got what I wanted. The recruiters have quotas to fill. They will tell you whatever they need to get you into one of those quotas. But if you stick to your guns, you'll get what you want.

Good Luck

WOW to be that young, dumb, and full of......entusiasm again! LOL Just jerkin your chain some.

First of all let's get a few things straight. Your not comparing apples to apples here. Each one of the highly trained and respected units you are describing here have different missions, and specialties.

In fact I've tried out for a few of them.

The Rangers (1st Bn, 75th Rangers is what I enlisted for) is a unit that will be deployed to rapidly changing situations. They will perform various tasks such as recon areas, capture objectives and hold them, specialized raids, and general small unit tactics. They will also assist fellow units in their missions as well (ie. Delta) when needed. Great pride in this gang, but can get old in a hurry.

Special Forces is a unit that will train other people to take the fight to their enemies. You will receive a lot of specialized training. Highly motivated inviduals here, good peoples. I was TDY with the 10th SF Europe during the cold war, they did real world missions behind the lines everyday!

Delta, well what can I say. I wanted in, but didn't make it. Very intelligent, very motivated, very demanding, and they will be there until the last man is down. Train a lot for anti-terrorist type scenarios. You will learn to take down trains, planes, buses, and buildings. After the debacle in the desert years ago they are finally getting the equipment they need to perform their duties.

Navy Seals. I have met one or two years ago. Same can be said for them that goes for Delta, exept they spend a lot more time on water training, amphib insertions, demolitions, and other things as well. VERY tight knit group.

Almost all of the units will require you to be in service for a certain length of time before you can try out, or be assigned to them. To enlist for the Rangers I had to enlist for a specific MOS, and had a bird Colonel call Dept of the Army to get approval for me. There's never any guarantee's.

I don't remember the pre-req's for Special Forces, but Delta required 4 years TIS, E-5 or higher, and must be willing to re-up BEFORE they even let you tryout.

You have received some great advice on here. Your enthusiasm is bubbling forth right now, but believe me you WILL find someone in any of these branches of the service that will try to make your life a living hell just because they have the power to, or they are jealous of your ability, or they are on a ego trip. You've been warned. Good luck on your decision!

Keith

PS "Rangers lead the way" (sorry couldn't resist! LOL)

All military soldiers who are serving or served our country should be applauded.
Having served in the Marines I can say I do have a (slight) preforance as to who is trained best.
One thing that will give you an idea is that if you go through Marine bootcamp and later want to change to a different branch say Army or whatever it is no problem.
However if you joined any other branch and wanted to go into the Marine Corp you would have to still go through Marine bootcamp.....Guess that may give you an idea of who gets trained a little better IMO.
Everyone kids and jokes with each other branch to branch but in wartime no matter where you decide to join we all become brothers.
If you decide to try out or are selected to try out for Recon you will be trained more than any Ranger or Airborne as far as difficulty. IMO only the Navy Seals are trained at an even higher level....(Kinda hurts saying a squid could be trained more but then again they are not normal sailors).LOL
Not all men are equal in what they learn and grasp in the training they get. You could hand pick some guys from any branch that are the best and they would all stack up equally well to be completely serious.
Good luck no matter where you go and thanks for taking a huge step in defending our country.
All of us that have feel proud and you will too.
Best of luck.
Semper Fi
Jerry

Go and finish College first

You sound like a really intelligent guy. Go and finish college first. You could probably get a military grant or loan or something.

After graduating college, then go in as an officer. The college degree is something you can fall back on if the military does not work out, or would help your career in the military.

Other than that in theory it would be really cool to join some special outfit and do the stuff they do.

FYI
Bill

RE: Go and finish College first

Jerry, thanks for the encouragement.

Bill, Since I have my AA I could go finish college but I am not ready for that yet. After visiting my sister this last winter at WSU I'm not sure that I would survive college much less get my $$$ worth. I need to go "grow up" and get some dicipline first. After the military college should be a breeze. Plus I have ZERO idea what major I would like to be and dont' want to change 2-3 times until I find something I like. Thanks.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom