Marlin 1895

Whiterock

Very Active Member
LAST EDITED ON Jun-01-15 AT 04:52PM (MST)[p]Latest addition to my gun safe.
Marlin 1895 in 45/70 with Leupold VXIII 2.5-8X36.
Used but looks like it was never fired.

Whiterock, is that the LTD-V model. If it is I have one and I hope your's is accurate as mine. 3 shot 1" to 1-1/4 inch groups at 100 yards with the Hornady 350 gr. flatpoint and my cast lead 350 gr. RNFP loaded with 43 gr. IMR-4198 at 1850 fps velocity. Great buffalo and wild boar load for one shot kills.

RELH

I loaded some 300 grain Hornady HP over 55 grains of 2015XMR Tried some at 50 yards and I could touch bullet holes. Great shooting gun. Love this rifle.

Those 300 gr. HP are fine for lung shots on deer. Just do not use them on anything larger as they will fail to penetrate and blow up if bone larger then a rib is hit.
The Hornady 350 gr. RNFP is a great bullet for larger game and does not kick that bad when loaded to 1800-1900 fps.
I used that bullet to take one wild boar, about 275 pounds that was facing me at 65-75 yards. Hit him at the junction of neck and shoulder, drop him dead in his tracks. During skinning found the bullet just in front of the left ham expanded to 73 caliber. About 27-30 inches of penetration.
Taken 3 buffalo with that bullet and all were one shot stops and only recovered one bullet after going though both lungs and breaking far side shoulder and bullet was lodged just under the hide. The other two exited and were never recovered.

LOVE mine. Been my go-to gun for years now.

I load 300 grain Nosler Partitions to about 2,300 fps. It's a stout load and packs a whallop, but it'll take down anything on this continent...and maybe any other.

So many folks got "scope eyebrow" from my gun (not me) that I finally removed my scope. Gonna install a red dot and see how she handles.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom