MAX Points

banker

I see several post that mention .. I have MAX points. What is MAX points ? I don't see anywhere that there is a limit to the number of points a person acquires. I have 16 for moose and 17 for elk, it keeps going up every year I don't draw.

It means that no one can have more points than you, only equal. To have max points you would have started to acquire points on the first year they were offered and every year since.

You can have max points for the species or you can have max points for a given hunt code in the draw. The two are different.

Max points for moose and elk are in the 22 to 23 range. Not sure exactly. But in that area.

With your points, not to be a negative person, you will be A LONG time before you draw the moose tag. There will be several thousand people ahead of you in the point pool. YOu can draw that random tag, but again, you have SEVERAL thousand going for the FEW random tags. Its a TUFFFFFF game.

Elk now, depending on what you are looking for, you could draw several units or tags. You are near the top, but not there yet.

It is a little confusing but if you combine all 3 of the above great posts you'll have a better understanding of the value of points and what it means.

Example: let's say you have 16 elk points, which is nowhere near the maximum points possible, and you apply in a top-tier unit, you would NOT draw from the "points pool" but would draw against the random pool.

Now, if you had those same 16 elk points and applied in, say Wasatch archery, you'd be in the max points pool for THAT species in THAT unit with That weapon because you'd have max points in THAT drawing.

Is that clear as mud?

Zeke

One more attempt to define...
"Max (Maximum) Points"

Two kinds of Max Points:
The first is:
The highest number of points you can have for a species in a specific state. In other words, you have been accumulating points since the state started to award them and you still have not received a tag. Nobody has a higher number of points. Some might have the same number, but nobody has a higher number.
The Max Points can go down once everyone in your point pool has been awarded a tag or drops out.

The second is:
The highest number of points used to apply for a specific tag in a specific unit.
As Zeke says, if you have 16 elk points and you apply for a Wasatch Archery tag AND nobody applies for that tag with a higher number of points, THEN you have "Max Points".

Most state's draw systems (not all) look at everyone who applies for a specific tag and then awards a percentage of the available tags to those who applied with the highest number of points (max points) Some also refer to them as "Top points".
Then the remaining percentage of tags are awarded to everybody else that applies on a random basis... "Random Draw".

Hopefully I didn't muddy the water!

assuming you mean max points in Utah, however each state is different cause they all started at different times.

Mntman

"Hunting is where you prove yourself"

LAST EDITED ON Jun-20-16 AT 02:19PM (MST)[p]Banker,
You're also correct that there is no "cap" on points and it (max) is only a description of the "draw pool" in which an applicant finds himself.

Yes, they continue to grow until you draw but as you can see, "max points" has many meanings.

Zeke

PS: I think the most points a resident COULD have is 23 but I don't think anyone is left in that pool unless they're just buying points and not making application. I still believe none remain.

LAST EDITED ON Jun-20-16 AT 04:38PM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON Jun-20-16 AT 04:36?PM (MST)

You could also say it this way-- e.g.- Unit X has 20 deer tags available in the draw. 10 tags(50% of the available tags) will go to the applicants who have the highest number of bonus tags-- Lets say that there are 5 folks who apply and have 16 bonus points each-- every one of them will draw a tag. Then there are 3 applicants with 15 bonus points-- every one of them will draw a tag. Then there are 10 people with 14 bonus points-- only 2 will draw( the ones that have the 2 lowest numbers) for the remaining "Bonus Point Tags" Of the 10 applicants, 2 of them will receive a tag, the other 8 that were unsuccessful will then go into the general pool ( folks with 0 to 14 bonus points) for the remaining 10 tags.
That is why some folks will sometimes draw a tag even though they might only have 0 bonus points.( the number of bonus points you have, is the number of times you are entered into the draw. Its like a giant wheel (only in a computer) with a million numbers painted on the outside edge and a pointer that is spun and wherever number it ends up pointing to, then that becomes one of your draw numbers. In this example, the 10 applicants with the lowest numbers after the pointer is spun for every applicant according to the number of bonus points they have, will then receive a tag. Some that were in the "Bonus Pool Draw" but were not successful could be lucky enough to draw in the randomn draw pool .

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom