McGregor Oryx

muley505

I drew the January hunt, and this is my first oryx hunt that's on-range. Does anyone have any input on gaining access to the McGregor range (do I have to go to El Paso, etc.?) and the difficulty of locating animals? Also, if I want to take someone with me, I'm assuming they have to jump through the same hoops to get on the range? It's only a two-day hunt, and it looks as though the success rate has dropped some in recent years, so I was curious if anyone who has done it recently could give me some pointers.

I realize I'm probably jumping the gun here a bit and that someone along the line is going to be sending me an email or packet or something of that nature that will have some of this information in it, but I thought I'd get some valuable information from all of you highly-experienced and highly-skilled gentlemen. :)

Thanks in advance for any assistance you can provide.

I drew the white sands and got an email today saying they will be sending out info in May, good luck on your hunt.

Shoot me a pm or better yet call me 505-73o-7943. I had the hunt this last january and drew again for next january so ill be out there with you.

Ryan

I shot a pretty good one there a couple years ago: http://www.monstermuleys.info/cgi-b...78&forum=DCForumID34&archive=yes#.VULkH5MYOao

I think Ryan knows as much or more about this hunt area than I do, but I'll be glad to share what I learned. I went back the following year to guide 14-year-old twins. Got them within range of a nice herd, but both missed their shots.

I would recommend that you get yourself and your buddy down to El Paso earlier than the day before your hunt to get your base pass. Otherwise, you're in for long day of sitting in that office being the lowest on their priority pole. Guests need a base pass too.

Good luck!

980020150110_122423.jpg

Mozey,
Thanks for the kind words! It was actually Mozey that helped me out prior to my recent hunt. With that said, I did travel on about the entire hunting area first to familiarize myself with the landscape. Also spoke quite a bit with Brian Locke about all the hunting opportunities that are on McGregor. I found 1 lone Oryx bull and that's the one I took. We left the base at 430 pm the first evening as #6 with an animal. It's not the normal Oryx hunt like White Sands where I shot a nice cow (little shy of Mozey's awesome cow!). I think road hunting is a mistake there and you need to put boots on the ground. Shoot me a text or give me a call, I can help quite a bit, I still have my packet from this last year too, might not be exactly the same because things change depending on what operations are being conducted but it will sure save time and give you a good idea. Like I said, I drew the hunt again and will be back down there next January so maybe we can set up a camp or something together and make a weekend of it. I think I'll try and find a bigger one next year but things sure do change when you get there!

Ryan

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom