McGregor Range Youth Hunt

nmhunter88

My son has a hunt coming up at the end of the month and we just rec an email from the G&F. Rules and a bunch of other stuff. Says all non hunting members must have a FBTC access permit but it shows they are only available down south in El Paso. Is this right. Has anyone on here hunted this hunt? Any info would be helpful.

Thanks

nmhunter88

First year in awhile we are not involved in a hunt on McGregor.

Yep, you will have to get a range pass and I think the only option any more is by the airport in el paso. Used to be able to get it at the BLM office in Cruces.
Have all your ducks in a row. Even if you have everything we have spent hours there if the person behind the counter does not know what they are doing.
Last year was not to bad.

I assume it is an antelope hunt. Can be very very tough if you have not been on the range before. Strongly recomend try to scout a sometime between now and then. Maybe same day you get your pass.

Gas up, have spare tires, and plan on spending some time out there. They have goats, but, it is not thick with them.

+1 paul!!!

Add to that, 2 spare tires and be SURE you have your sons hunters ed card with you to get the gun permit. Read through the 10,000 pages that Brian sent you and like paul said have all your ducks in a row to get access. ITs not a easy hunt like it once was! I would stay on the mesa you can camp right at the top of the hill on 506 on top. Park and glass once McG had a ton of goats but not anymore a friend was on that hunt last year I want to say they killed maybe 40-50% IF you were looking for help might talk with Jordan Christenson a taxidermist from LC his might be able to help. Have fun and good luck

Chris Guikema
www.compasswestoutfitters.com

I got all my access permit stuff about 20miles(??) south of the gate you go into hunt on the range. Got it on the base... I dunno it has been a few years but never needed to go to El Paso.

LAST EDITED ON Aug-03-13 AT 04:25PM (MST)[p]I would recommend doing it as ASAP and not wait until the day before your hunt. It may change from year to year but our experience last year was that it has to be in El Paso now.

Just remember to walk in with the right attitude--you're going to be in line with a bunch of contractors, and you're going to be their lowest priority. Every time a serviceman/women walks in, they are going to be bumped to the front of the line ahead of you and your son. Just expect it and don't get upset when it happens.

You'll need a pass for youself too. My buddy's dad thought he didn't need the pass because he was active duty, and was pretty bummed at check-in when they made him go all the way back to El Paso (90 miles) to get his pass if he was going to accompany his son on our oryx hunt. One trip is bad enough--don't make it two...

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom