Meeting in Laramie

godeep

Wyoming Backcountry Hunters and Anglers is inviting you
Wednesday, February 25 at 6:00 p.m.
Roxie?s at 221 Grand Ave.
Laramie, Wyoming

Come and join us for a gathering and discussion on issues facing our hunting and fishing heritage and future. We'll have Lee Knox for Wyoming G&F will be there discussing our mule deer decline; Frank E. Romero with the USFS will present ways to manage our forests, trails, and off-road areas. How has the legislature affected us? What were the positives and areas of concern? We'll provide snacks, a raffle, and ask for your ideas on how to help improve game management and hunting opportunities.

Thanks for the info. I will be a couple of thousand miles away but hope you will give us a report. Checked your website and looks like an organization I should look into

Wyoelkhunter

>Thanks for the info. I
>will be a couple of
>thousand miles away but hope
>you will give us a
>report. Checked your website
>and looks like an organization
>I should look into
>
>Wyoelkhunter

Got any question about the group shoot me a pm be glad to talk to you about it.

>Wyoming Backcountry Hunters and Anglers is
>inviting you
>Wednesday, February 25 at 6:00 p.m.
>
>Roxie?s at 221 Grand Ave.
>Laramie, Wyoming
>
>Come and join us for a
>gathering and discussion on issues
>facing our hunting and fishing
>heritage and future. We'll have
>Lee Knox for Wyoming G&F
>will be there discussing our
>mule deer decline; Frank E.
>Romero with the USFS will
>present ways to manage our
>forests, trails, and off-road areas. I
>How has the legislature affected
>us? What were the positives
>and areas of concern? We'll
>provide snacks, a raffle, and
>ask for your ideas on
>how to help improve game
>management and hunting opportunities.

Any report on what happened at meeting?

Sorry for the delay on the notes from the meeting, just been a little busy of late.

We heard from Frank Romero, USFS District Ranger for the Laramie Ranger District. Frank talked about the importance of collaborative work with local groups like BHA. He also expressed concerns over the resources vial illegal user created trails and how our work on Pole Mountain was having a very positive impact. He also stressed that as these areas close, he has instructed his LEO's to strictly enforce the closers. Frank also said that when groups like BHA step up with financial help for things like the signs we are paying for, that it almost always attracts matching funds from other Sportsmen's organizations. He then pointed out again, that he really values the partnership with local groups like BHA.

Next up was Alex, the USFS biologist. He believes that the signing is the first step in the education process of how important winter range as well as fawning/calving area closures are to wildlife. He is really thankful as well for the money that BHA is kicking in to get the ball rolling on the Pole Mountain area as well as the Snowy Range proper. He said he is thinking of many more projects that he needs volunteers for and is really looking forward to the continued partnership with BHA.

Next up was Lee Knox with the Wyoming Game and Fish Department. He talked about the Sheep Mountain Mule deer herd and how its doing and where its going. The current population is estimated at 5600 mule deer with an "objective" number of 15,000 deer. Currently hunter success on the Sheep Mountain herd is about 23%, but this area has always had low hunter success even in the 50's and 60's during the "good old days" of mule deer. Harvest success in the 50's and 60's was around 30-40%, much lower than many surrounding areas. The reason for low harvest success has a lot to do with the country, thick trees, and hard to hunt compared to more open areas. Fawn recruitment was discussed in length. First of all, Lee stated that 66 fawns per 100 does is considered the minimum number for herd growth. The past 4 years have been lower than that with the exception of this last fawn crop. There were 80 fawns per 100 does observed in the Decembers flight survey. Of further note is that the fawns were way larger in stature than the last 4 fawn crops. Lee made note that buck fawns, were about the same size as the yearling does from last year. So, there is guarded improvement in the herd coming, and if we can get favorable weather again this spring and fall...and for many falls and springs to come, we may see a nice rebound and improvement in this herd. Lee is very knowledgeable about mule deer. Lee also added that the season dates have changed, right now it's a Oct.1-11 and not all to long ago the season use to be Oct 15- Nov 15 making it easier to find those bucks during the rut. One contributing factor also that was mentioned was in that 50's through 70's era there was a substantial amount of logging in that area that allowed more ground forage to grow and sustain a larger population of deer.

Finally, we had a Legislative update on what happened/is happening in Cheyenne. We discussed the WYSA reception, the transfer of public lands bills, and many others that would have impacted hunters and anglers in Wyoming. Several of the really bad bills were killed after much effort, some were not. There was also some good legislation like Senator Hicks' round up for wildlife bill that is likely going to pass. BHA is still taking the lead on the banning of aircraft for scouting/hunting and just last week Jeff Muratore and Buzz Hettick talked with Brian Nesvik to make sure everything was progressing. We are on track to tighten flight rules, including drones, within a few months time.

In general, Wyoming BHA is having great success in Wyoming and that only happens through the efforts of the membership. Many of our members are actively engaged on a host of important issues. For a chapter that is only a couple years old, we are making our presence known and doing positive work for sportsmen/women, wildlife, and wildlife habitat all across Wyoming.

Cool, I wish I weren't so burnt out with politics, keep up the good work, I'm going now and renewing my BHA membership before I forget.

>Cool, I wish I weren't so
>burnt out with politics, keep
>up the good work, I'm
>going now and renewing my
>BHA membership before I forget.
>

Appreciate it Piper!

LAST EDITED ON Mar-06-15 AT 05:49AM (MST)[p]Correct me if I am wrong, some of the Wyoming Backcountry Hunters and Anglers board/members were behind/ or supported the 10% non-resident tag grab...

Yes, I am sure of it. To bad...so sad....our group was about to sign up for life time membership...

In all reality, we don't blame residents for supporting the bill.

Its the fact WBHA would associate / nominate board members who out of the blue, will intentionally discriminate against Non-residents.

We will not support a group, with board members that plans to stab a guy in the back. Our money comes to hard, and you never know if it will used against us.

>LAST EDITED ON Mar-06-15
>AT 05:49?AM (MST)

>
>Correct me if I am wrong,
>some of the Wyoming Backcountry
>Hunters and Anglers board/members were
>behind/ or supported the 10%
>non-resident tag grab...
>
>Yes, I am sure of it.
>To bad...so sad....our group was
>about to sign up for
>life time membership...
>
>In all reality, we don't blame
>residents for supporting the bill.
>
>

> Its the fact WBHA would
>associate / nominate board members
>who out of the blue,
>will intentionally discriminate against Non-residents.
>
>
>We will not support a group,
>with board members that plans
>to stab a guy in
>the back. Our money comes
>to hard, and you never
>know if it will used
>against us.

I'll correct you on that, Wyoming BHA never took a position on that subject period.
If a member or board member voiced THEIR opinion it was just that their opinion.
Wyoming BHA is strictly to preserve public land and maintain access for everyone.
The Wyoming BHA actually wrote a letter to the house/senate stating that we were NOT in favor of the bill that would have changed the 60/40 split to 40/60.
So you are incorrect we actually stood up for the NR instead of your statement that we may stab you on the back.
You have any questions about BHA feel free to pm me I've got nothing to hide
Trevor

LAST EDITED ON Mar-09-15 AT 05:01PM (MST)[p]Junior,

Godeep did a pretty good job of explaining your accusations.

But, to clarify, I'll just tell you what really happened/happens with the BHA and how we function.

I am one of 4 co-chairs that we have across the State. We have found that having local member/board members dealing with local issues is always the right way to do things. We are all 100% volunteers and not only does local expertise make sense, it also eliminates travel expenses that would be paid for out of pocket by our volunteers.

As to the issue you're having with the 90/10 bill, WYBHA took "no position" on the bill. I personally called (as I always do before I represent BHA) the board and there was not unanimous support for the 90/10 bill.

However, as with all issues related to hunting, we encourage our members and our board to voice their opinions on any and all things that impact them as hunters/fishermen/conservationists.

We realize and appreciate that on any given issue, there will be differing opinions/positions, but BHA doesn't view that as anything but normal. Its what makes BHA and America great, that we can still support the over-all cause while still maintaining our personal views/opinions on issues we may not agree on.

So, with that said, I did testify in public testimony as a Resident Hunter of Wyoming, representing myself, in support of the 90/10 bill. I firmly believe that Wyoming Residents have every right to what every single other Western State has, and that is keeping 90% of their moose, sheep, goat, and bison tags for Residents.

If you disagree, that's fine. Its something that Wyoming Residents are going to continue to pursue until it passes.

However if you think that your lame attempt to keep me from testifying on my own behalf, by using my affiliation/volunteer position with BHA as a tool to do it, isn't going to work out for you.

If you cant differentiate between testimony on behalf of an organization and public testimony of a Resident hunter, then that's a personal problem of yours, not mine.

BTW, just for the record, WYBHA was one of only 2 sportsmen's groups to testify in support of NR hunters with public testimony opposing hb149. Not to mention the letters and behind the scenes efforts by many BHA members to kill that horrific legislation.

WYBHA will continue with our mission to ensure that public lands, public wildlife, the North American Model of Wildlife Conservation, and the places we hunt and fish are there for future generations.

This reminds me of what WYOGA did to Randy Newberg after he voiced his opinion about HB149. Real class act.

Also, how the Pres of the Wild Sheep Foundation was attacked by individuals on the floor of the Sheep Show because a member voiced their personal opinion about SF69. Another fine example of classy individuals.

Now we have Mr Class himself, junior, trying to silence someone by attacking them through an organization they belong to.

Last time I looked junior, we all still have free speech in this country as individuals, whether we are affiliated with a sportsman's group or not.

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom