Memorial Day

2buckridge

Just thought I would sincerely thank all of those who have served this country. Thank you for your service. And to those that have lost loved ones, thank you for your sacrifice, and the ultimate sacrifice of your loved ones. God bless.
"And there is none greater, than he who lays down his/her life for another" Amen.

Some things I did not know about Memorial Day. I knew it was to honor those fallen who were serving our country in the Armed Forces. But, I did not know who started it.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Memorial_Day

The practice of decorating soldiers' graves with flowers is an ancient custom.[6] Soldiers' graves were decorated in the U.S. before[7] and during the American Civil War. A claim was made in 1906 that the first Civil War soldier's grave ever decorated was in Warrenton, Virginia on June 3, 1861, implying the first Memorial Day occurred there.[8] There is authentic documentation that women in Savannah, Georgia decorated soldiers' graves in 1862.[9] In 1863, the cemetery dedication at Gettysburg, Pennsylvania was a ceremony of commemoration at the graves of dead soldiers. Local historians in Boalsburg, PA, claim that ladies there decorated soldiers' graves on July 4, 1864.[10] As a result, Boalsburg promotes itself as the birthplace of Memorial Day.[11]

Following President Abraham Lincoln's assassination in April 1865, there were a variety of events of commemoration. The first well-known observance of a Memorial Day-type observance after the Civil War was in Charleston, South Carolina on May 1, 1865. During the war, Union soldiers who were prisoners of war had been held at the Charleston Race Course; at least 257 Union prisoners died there and were hastily buried in unmarked graves.[12] Together with teachers and missionaries, black residents of Charleston organized a May Day ceremony in 1865, which was covered by the New York Tribune and other national papers.

These folks placed flowers on graves in observance of the day.

383418_10151398028325493_647870032_n.png

KNOW YOUR HISTORY: Memorial Day was started by former slaves on May, 1, 1865 in Charleston, SC to honor 257 dead Union Soldiers who had been buried in a mass grave in a Confederate prison camp. They dug up the bodies and worked for 2 weeks to give them a proper burial as gratitude for fighting for their freedom. They then held a parade of 10,000 people led by 2,800 Black children where they marched, sang and celebrated.

Yes indeed, this is a special day to honor those that gave their all. Daddy made it through WWII and used his GI Bill for a degree in forestry from Georgia Tech. Moved to SE Texas and married my Mother 64 years ago and it's all history. Since I was the only one of 3 sons to serve (26 years USAF) I got the honor of carrying his "short snorter" a 1935 Silver Certificate in my wallet. A "punk azz" kid tried to steal it this past fall and found himself on the wrong end of a Kimber .45 Take every last dollar to my name, but I'll be damned if I part from that piece of heritage! RIP, Arthur Ernest Green. You were an awesome man and a great father!

http://www.monstermuleys.info/photos/user_photos/663255530_1541152147555

181005.jpg

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom