Mid Range riflescope

Randy11

i have a remington in .257 weatherby on order and am still trying to figure out what scope i wanna go with.

ive got it narrowed down to either a bushnell 4200, nikon monarch, zeiss conquest or vortex viper.

i have experiences with both the bushnell and nikon lines and know that theyre quality products, but have never owned zeiss or vortex.
any opinions or suggestions are appreciated.

I have a couple zeiss conquest 3.5-10 and really like them. I have one nikon monarch and its nice as well. I've had a couple of the latetest bushnell scopes and sold them. I don't know anything about vortex.
BUT if I were to have one scope or one scope brand only it would be Leupold. Dollar for dollar I am convinced that they are the best thing out there for the money. Their customer service is incredible. I don't see how you go wrong with a leupold. I called Nikon one time to see about getting a recticle changed out and after 5 different phone calls and 10 transfers I finally found someone that spoke english and knew something about rifle scopes and he told me they don't do that kind of thing. The same call to leupold would take 2 minutes. I've bought/mounted/used/sold tons of different scopes over the years. I've tried almost everything and I always seem to sell the others and keep the leupolds.
Another great thing about leupold is their resale value. I assume it has part to do with their incredible warranty but they resell better than any scope out there. Look on ebay.
BUT, with all that said, leupold was not one of your options. SO of the choices you gave I would go with the Zeiss conquest. I really like there recticles,eye relief,focus ring, clarity. I really like them but know nothing of their service.
Now for spotters and binocs I'd like the swarovski.
Just my two cents.
P.S. The .257 WBY is a flat out awesome round. If you never used the caliber before, your going to love it. Its a bang flop
round.
Good luck.

I would go with the Monarch especially as they have been redesigned in 2007.

LAST EDITED ON Jan-17-08 AT 02:00PM (MST)[p]i compared a conquest, monarch and 4200 today in the store and it really seems like a tossup for image quality, they all looked pretty good.
i really liked how lightweight the conquest was but not sure if i wanna pay as much as i would need to in order to go more powerful than 3-9, id really like to get either a 4-12 or 3-12.
the bushnell and nikon weighed quite a bit more and the bushnell just seemed really bulky.
i need to go look at leupold though, had a real lemon quite a while back and have never gave the company a chance since, maybe its time i do.
also plan on going ant looking through the vortex line tomorrow, maybe something will fit my fancy there.

and yeah, im extremely excited for the gun. ive been saving up for a mark v for a while now but with remington offering the caliber i can get the gun and a nice scope for cheaper than i would a mark v, and i personally like the remington set up better.

It's hard to beat a remington 700 action, I agree. The only thing I do not like about the remington is the high bolt throw. Do yourself a favor and get the dual dove-tail bases. I started doing that a couple years ago and do it with all my magnum rifles. I was elk hunting once and found that my windage screw was super loose. I mount all my own scopes now and do dual dove tail when ever possible. I've heard of lemon leupolds but never seen one or had one. Regardless my experience has been that the company will make it right.
What config of remington 700 do you have? Stainless/syn or blue/wood? I have a couple used leupolds sitting in the gun safe. I know I have a 3.5-10 and a 2.5-8. Personally with the .257 I'd go with a 4.5-14 and I have an extra one but its a 50mm. They are all matte. A really nice scope for that rifle would be a Leupold 4.5-14x40 LR with the 30mm tube. I put one on my .340 wby and really like it. Nice to scabbord but good magnification and bright.
I have a 3.5x10 ziess conquest on my mark V ultralite .257 and a leupold 8.5-25 LR on my accumark .257. One for the mountains and one to reach out and touch something(It almost seems like cheating with that set up). I do love to hear the flat landers I hunt with say "you hit that son of a #*$(%...!!!!!
But with all that said I really want to kill a nice antelope with my bow next year.
I know a guy very very involved in the optics industry. He won't really go into a lot of detail about any brands. But he has access to almost anything he wants and he has leupold scopes and swarovksi spotters/binocs. He is also really impressed by the latest nikon but is not willing to jump on that band wagon yet. Good luck.

i really appreciate all of your advice.
the rifle im waiting on is a laminate stainless.
what model and price range would the 4.5-14x40 with the 30mm tube be in?

I would imagine you could find one on ebay for 400-475. I buy most of my scopes used now or a friend of mine can get me wholesale. But new they are 550ish-600.
Look on ebay. Awesome scopes.
Again just my two cents. Pick whatever you feel is the best scope for you and your hunting situation. Your going to love that gun and caliber.
Matte black leupold rings and bases and matte scope would be very fashionable. You can not over emphasize the importanance of ones cordination in accessorizing. Man I love the .257 wby. Gets me fired up just thinking about that rifle.

You might also want to check out luepold's pwr (weaver style) rings. They are heavier than the dovtails but far stronger. JMO Believe it or not, I use them on my light weight backpackin rifles. The weight is worth the insurance of not getting knocked off zero. Although most people dont have any problems with the dovetails.....Its all in my head!

If huntin is a sport.....Well your lookin at an athlete!

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Great Deals at Camera Land

Camera Land - Optics, Cameras, & More

Camera Land - The Place to Buy Optics

Camera Land - The Place to Buy Optics
Back
Top Bottom