Missing person found in Mountains of NV

I am assuming the husband got off the road looking for help if they cannot find him??? I can never figure out a good reason for doing that, just stay on the road and head down the mountain...

7 weeks is a long time on trail mix. After I got stuck I would have walked out and been lost for 7 weeks hiding from the wife at the bar surving on beer and burgers...

Mntman

"Hunting is where you prove yourself"

That story is totally worthless. It doesn't say where the van was "logging roads", a lot of people would be on the look out for the husband if they had a clue where to look.

wow that must have been a huge!! bag of trail mix!!!!! i dont see how the heck he could have got lost. walk down the dang road...

Are they sure it is Nevada with logging roads??? what kind of van were they in most vans I see are not 4x4 and i wouldnt take them off road. well maybe all of us on here better make up a search party and head to the nearest "logging road" to the area and check it out. oh wait they just say north eastern nevada but I am assuming they were headed down 93 and took off around jarbidge.

i agree its pretty dang hard not to find your way out of almost anwhere in Nevada. Stay on pretty much any road, head downhill, or just head out for that matter. The latest article i read said he had a gps and was headed for a highway 10 miles away. So you gotta figure just a couple of things could of happened, he got turned around...with a gps, decided to take a shortcut instead of staying on any kind of road, which if he overworked himself he possibly could of had a heart attack. Or...who knows. 7 weeks is a long long time to be by yourself stuck in the back country, I think i would go insane!

News article said he was headed for SR225 which is NE of Tuscarora, looks like he was taking the backcounty roads. Wrong time of year to be on those roads....in a van.

LAST EDITED ON May-08-11 AT 09:50AM (MST)[p]The van was near the bruneau river past rowland. They came in through Idaho. Not a place to be with a van.I bet it is a two to three day walk out in good conditions, if he backtracked the way they came in. If he decided to go cross country,well I dont know.

Remember the Stolpas? People do crazy things. I was a Park Ranger stationed at Wild Horse for many years, and was involved in more than one odd "rescue" mission on either the Brunheau River road or the Charleston route to Jarbidge. I remember one Thanksgiving where some German tourists in a Datsun or Hyundai were travelling the route to Jarbidge... they actually were in there more than 12 miles in deep snow! There was also one time a frostbite victim who had actually removed his socks walking in snow... had to cut frozen leather shoes off the feet...trying to make Thanksgiving eve into Jarbidge...he made it as far as Charleston! There were a few others, thankfully did not end in tragedy!

Maybe he took off walking and ran into Claude Dallas, and is happily living off the land now.

Eel

Just kidding.

LAST EDITED ON May-13-11 AT 09:53PM (MST)[p]ok. 3 days no food nearest highway according to gps 10 miles streight line to closest rout. city person no out doors experience. twice as far following road you just came in.
Just trying to put myself in their place from what
i have read in the paper ?
where would you expect a desperate person to go?

Nevada Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Big Bucks & Bulls Timberline Outfitters Guide Service

Customized and high quality eastern Nevada trophy hunts for mule deer, elk and antelope.

Western Wildlife Adventures

We offer some excellent mule deer and elk hunts in northeast Nevada.

Currant Creek Outfitters

Nevada, big bucks and big bulls! We hunt for quality not quantity.

Nevada Outfitters & Guides Association

Find guides and outfitters for mule deer, elk, sheep, chuckar, fishing, & more!

SilverGrand Outfitters

Successfully guiding in Nevada for many years. Mule deer, elk, antelope and bighorn sheep hunts.

Hidden Lake Outfitters

Specializing in trophy mule deer hunts along with elk, mountain goat, antelope and mountain lion.

G&J Outdoors

Full time outfitter with 20+ years hunting mule deer, sheep, elk, antelope, lion and chukar.

Mountain Man Outfitters

Offering world class mule deer hunts in some of the most productive units in Nevada.

Nevada High Desert Outfitters

Rocky mountain goats, desert, rocky and california bighorn, mule deer, antelope and elk hunts.

Urge 2 Hunt

If you want an unguided hunt but can't draw your tags, you need to call us.

White River Guide Service

50 years of guiding experience! Mule deer, elk, sheep and cougar.

Back
Top Bottom