MM survey for Best Big Game caliber top 10

Lameduck

I guess I was the only one bored enough or interested enough to go through the replys to Mywifeshotterthentiffany's post and add them all up. I was a little surprised at the out come and I guess the old 30-06 is still one of the top calibers today.
First I need to put my votes in. I along with my brother inlaw are 7mm mag guys, while my dad and wife are 243, and brother is 30-30. Ok here is the top 10 from most votes on down.

1. 7mm mag--21 votes
2. 30-06----20
3. 300RUM---14
4. 300Win---12
5. 270Win---12
6. 300WSM---10
7. 270WSM---10
8. 308Win---8
9. 25-06----7
10.338Win---6
So there you go if you were wondering.

THIS IS FUNNY......I JUST READ IN ONE OF MY HUNTING PUBLICATIONS (I TAKE SEVERAL) THAT THE 7MM IS THE WORST RATED CAL. OF ALL TIME.......I HAVE SHOT IT FOR DECADES SO I DID NOT BOTHER TO READ THE ARTICLE. ON MM IT RATES AT THE TOP OF THE CHARTS.......IRONIC.........YD.

Ya the 7mm doesn't get a lot of praise from tv shows or magazines but a lot of the people I hunt with shoot them. I would have figuired the 300RUM would have been at the top. And thanks Hornkiller for the shooting tip of the week.

Hunting Illustrated had a similar survey. It was was caliber by species. Very interesting to say the least. The 300 Win was at or near the top for most species.

However, the 7mm was very popular as well. I would sure like to hear the reasoning as why the 7mm is not a good caliber. I think it's a great caliber, almost as good as the 300 Win!!!

>...THE 7MM IS THE WORST RATED CAL. OF ALL TIME...

Seems to me that they don't know what they are talking about. There are many reasons the 7mag is great.

1. Flat shooting
2. Great stopping power
3. Available almost anywhere ammo is sold
4. Many different bullet choices
5. Inexpensive (compared to similar calibers)
6. Relatively low recoil

I would recommend it to anyone hunting big game in North America, as it is suitable for anything from whitetail to buffalo IMO.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom