Montana Bison Hunt

FamilyMan

Very Active Member
Ok, first forgive me for such a general question. How does the Montana Bison hunt process work for Montana residents? I'm starting to become interested, but don't know how the tag draw or season structure works. Also, is the process different for bull and cow Bison?

Any help you can provide will be appreciated as I try to figure out if there is any hope for me.

Thanks.

Mark
muledeer.jpg

My hunting spot is so secret, not even the elk have found it yet.

Anybody have any information?

Mark
muledeer.jpg

There's two separate units. Its a permit system for bulls, ran the same way as moose/sheep/goat. If you put in for a cow, you're assigned a number. They start at one and go up to wherever there quota is that year.

The 2008/2009 season was a flop, the only bison were killed on opening day, and that was only one or two if I remember right.
I haven't heard how it went this year, but I gotta imagine with the light snow pack it was much of the same.

This year was a flop as well. Don't waste your $ unless they extend the season for sportsmen instead of allowing the DOL and National Park Service to slaughter hundreds after the public hunt is over.

Thanks guys. Sounds like a no go unless things turn around.

Mark
muledeer.jpg

What area/season has the best chance of a harvest if you are lucky enough to get drawn?

Gardiner or West Yellowstone? Season 1, 2 or 3?

Sounds pretty dismal...

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Montana Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Bearpaw Outfitters

Mule deer, whitetail, antelope, buffalo, and prairie dogs on private ranch leases totaling about 100,000 acres.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, whitetail and antelope and manage our ranches for top quality.

Vargo Hunting

Top quality bear, antelope and free range bison hunts on the Crow Indian Res. Turkey and cougar as well.

Back
Top Bottom