MOOSE/ELK/HYBRID... LOL!

elks96

Long Time Member
Got this today and had me laughing. Coworker is dead set that this is a hybrid. But I am going with a moose that never have the palmation gene. What do you think?

Anyone know more on the story? Hell moose and elk and not even in the same genus.

4889moose_elk_cross.jpg

cool!
You arent serious that he thinks its a hybrid though are you???

Mntman

"Hunting is where you prove yourself"

Let me guess, you drive a 1 ton with oak trees for smoke stacks, 12" lift kit and 40" tires to pull a single place lawn mower trailer?

One of the widest bull moose I've ever seen had a typical 4 point muledeer like antler on one side. I was beauiful and if scored like a deer would have been like 110 4 point without eyeguards. I wanted to find it bad.

Yelum

Theres logic, and theres women. They don't go together.

Yes I had a hard time not laughing. But I work at a college so go figure.

>cool!
>You arent serious that he thinks
>its a hybrid though are
>you???
>
>Mntman
>
>"Hunting is where you prove yourself"
>
>
>
>Let me guess, you drive a
>1 ton with oak trees
>for smoke stacks, 12" lift
>kit and 40" tires to
>pull a single place lawn
>mower trailer?

Well.......he is black, so I am guessing he stole that rack!

I know, but I couldn't help myself.

"If you get upset or offended by ANY website forum
post.....especially mine, you need serious
intervention!"

>Yes I had a hard time
>not laughing. But I work
>at a college so go
>figure.
>
>
>>cool!
>>You arent serious that he thinks
>>its a hybrid though are
>>you???

holy crap and think that co-worker has the right to vote, drive a car etc...

Mntman

"Hunting is where you prove yourself"

Let me guess, you drive a 1 ton with oak trees for smoke stacks, 12" lift kit and 40" tires to pull a single place lawn mower trailer?

And......just to keep the chit stirred, don't say that a moose and an elk could NEVER create a hybrid.

There are many examples of hybridization and genetic manipulation, both in nature and in the laboratory.

When it comes to animals......"Never say Never"!

"If you get upset or offended by ANY website forum
post.....especially mine, you need serious
intervention!"

Back about 25 years ago or so I went to one of the first hunting shows put on in Salt Lake. They had a mount there that when you first looked at it you seen an Elk. But when you got closer and looked at it the antlers went out to the side and were palmed a little bit. The weird thing about it was it had an rounded nose like a Moose. The color was a little dark too. It had a tag on it that said it was shot near Vernal Utah. Did anybody else see that thing or hear about it. Somebody has it mounted and has pics of it. I would like to see it again. And it did not look fake!!

"Anyone know more on the story? Hell moose and elk and not even in the same genus."

Genus would have very little to do with it. Many species of animal hybridize with others that are not in the same genus. Taxonomy is a man made organizer and the animals and reproductive matter do not take it into account. I can not off hand think of any inter-family hybridization so Genus may be as high as it goes up the taxonomic ladder. Many bovids of different genus hybridize quite willingly and easily and many antelope also. One of the strangest hybrids I have run across has been eland/kudu hybrids. Strange because there is almost no physical resemblance with a weight difference of close to a thousand pounds between sexually viable individuals.

I can tell you what I learned this year from my buddies Utah Shiras moose hunt. This info was given to him by the State Biologist over moose.

Moose have a tendency to pick up worms in both their brain and their jugular veins. Both impact the moose negatively as you could expect. My friend shot a very old mature bull. He looked exactly like the pic.

In Utah you have to take the head in and a piece of the liver as they are testing them and doing a study.

Anyways, when the moose is infested with worms in the jugular region it impacts the blood flow to the head. This reduction in blood flow leads to stunted antler growth and has the most impact in the "paddles" as they develop.

These worms are THE reason moose grow antlers like this and you will see a lot of them as you scout and look them over. These worms can eventually cause the moose to go blind which I imagine would lead to a bad end.

Anyways, that is what I have been told???

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom