Moose Hunter Needs Your Help...

O

Outdoorcrazy

Hi,
I am down to 4 days left in my once in a life time Wasatch bull moose hunt. I have seen many moose and a few small bulls during my hunt. If I could please use your help if you or someone elk hunting or anyone out there knows where a respectable bull is hanging out on the Wasatch unit I would greatly appreciate your help.

Thank You,

Dan,

801-318-5335

Dan, Your not the only one in this situation. My dad is hoping to find one before the end of the hunt. The Wasatch Moose hunt has been the worse hunting tag my family has drawn. I never dreamed moose hunting would not be any fun. We have spent 13 + days and have yet to see a moose over 32" wide. We have only seen one bull bigger than a first year bull. We have hunted 2 areas that had Boon and Crocket bulls shot out of them last year and saw 0 bulls in those areas. We have covered most the unit except the tree hugger zones above Salt Lake. If given the chance again we would have turned the tag back in and bought an out of state deer tag. Then we would have enjoyed the hunt. The DWR reps. that checked us had 0 Knowledge about the moose herd and could care less about us having success. They sure higher some winners at the DWR. Good luck we are hoping for some luck to come our way.

"We have covered most the unit except the tree hugger zones above Salt Lake."

If you're avoiding those spots you are shooting yourself in the foot! Swallow your pride and hunt those tree hugger spots!

Traditional >>>------->

I could give you a place to look, pm me with your phone number and I'll give you the low down. Have seen 3 fair bulls hanging in same area for about a month.

I know of a 53 incher that came off the tree hugger zone by Brighton ski resort with a bow. A guy I know guided the shooter. I would start considering taking a yearling at this point, but then again maybe not. Good luck to both of you, on your hunt.

LAST EDITED ON Oct-15-13 AT 01:34PM (MST)[p]>Hi,
>I am down to 4 days
>left in my once in
>a life time Wasatch bull
>moose hunt. I have seen
>many moose and a few
>small bulls during my hunt.
>If I could please use
>your help if you or
>someone elk hunting or anyone
>out there knows where a
>respectable bull is hanging out
>on the Wasatch unit I
>would greatly appreciate your help.
>
>
>Thank You,
>
>Dan,
>
>801-318-5335

I have a friend on FB that is looking to help people with this tag. I will get your info to him.

Edit- OK just so everyone know Dan was the guy that got helped to get a nice bull. So he no longer needs help.

I want everyone to know what a great guy Goldberg is. He took me to a place where some bulls hung out, spotted one for me, helped me get in range, and helped pack out the meat after it was down. All for free, and he was very good company at the same time. I didn't know guys like him existed. He is a natural born hunter and a great guy.

The bull was a nice 40 incher. Not huge, but nice. The meat is tougher than buckskin though. I gave a piece to my 90 year old dad and he said his teeth weren't sharp enough to chew it. My wife cooked some in a crock pot for 8 hours and it tasted good, but I had the same problem trying to chew it. My wife cooked it for another 8 hours and it was a little better, but still tough. So, I ground it all into hamburger with my 1hp grinder from Cabelas. That should fix that problem.

LAST EDITED ON Oct-23-13 AT 02:37PM (MST)[p]Congrats...sounds like you got a good one...pics?

Well done. Sounds like Goldberg is a class act. Any photos of the bull?

Hawkeye

Browning A-Bolt 300 Win Mag
Bowtech Destroyer
Winchester Apex .50 Cal

I say congrats to Goldberg...and all should remember his name if he ever posts a request for info...

The hunter, OP, too! Good ol MMuleys, not such a bad place!!

Joey

"It's all about knowing what your firearms practical limitations are and combining that with your own personal limitations!"

LAST EDITED ON Oct-23-13 AT 06:23PM (MST)[p]A Special thanks to Goldberg. He showed my dad to this 40" moose and helped him pack it out. My dad said it was just like a guided hunt. So thanks again to Goldberg.

Also a big thanks to ARROWHNTR who gave me a KML of a great spot that he had been seeing nice moose in the area. We didn't find them, but I am sure they were in the area.

7781moose_1.jpg

Congrats to your dad roadless hunter! Great bull! Nice to see hunters helping hunters! Thats what makes this site so great!

Just got back to town from my deer hunting. Road less hunters dad is the guy who needs an old fashioned "atta boy". He is 64 and still gettin it done. Packed the head and both fronts up a pretty steep hill, beat me up every time!! He is my hero. Hope I can still get after it like that! When I'm in my 60's!!!!
Not often a guy like me gets to participate in an OIL hunt. Thanks for the memories!!

Hey Goldberg,

What a stand up thing to do. A great example to all of us. I hope I can do something like this for someone some day.

Congrats on the Moose. Love seeing success, especially on an OIL hunt. I hope I can get around like you can when I am in my 60's.

Thanks for sharing your adventure with us.

"The problem with quotes on Internet Forums is that it is often difficult to verify their authenticity." - Abraham Lincoln

Cool Story. Glad that everyone involved made it out with some long-lasting memories and new-found friends.

Gaetz

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom