Moose Mount

backpackin

In 2013 I had the privilege of hunting and killing a moose. Even though the unit was down that year, it was a blast. I learned a lot about hunting moose and wish I had another shot at it with the knowledge I gained. I hunted 16 total days and shot this bull on the second to last night of the hunt. I had hopes for something bigger but it wasn't in the cards for me. This bull ended up being 46 inches wide and I got to kill it with a long time friend of mine by my side which made it awesome. I had always planned on shoulder mounting my bull moose since it is a once in a lifetime hunt, but I am curious to hear from those that have mounted a moose before, so I wanted to pick your brain. What is your experience with a moose you had mounted? I don't live in a big house nor does it have vaulted ceilings. So I'm a little worried about the size. This is one concern of others I have had. Any thoughts regarding mounting a moose would be appreciated. For example, is the size a pain, did you wish you had never had it done, do you wish you had it done but didn't, do you love your moose head, hate it, etc,.

5425wp000845.jpg

7800wp000852.jpg

4598img20150614152809.jpg

I was lucky enough to have a moose tag in 2010. Not knowing if or when I'd ever get that chance again, I was planning to have it shoulder mounted regardless of how big it was. Like you, I hoped for something bigger, but it wasn't in the cards for me either. But with all that I learned about moose that year and the memories that I made on that hunt, I've never once regretted having it mounted. And we have the same problem with low ceilings, so my bull currently hangs in my dad's hardware store. The sneak pose that my taxidermist used cut down on some of the overall height, but it's still a big mount. My opinion... you hunted hard, had a great experience, and shot an awesome bull. I don't think you'll regret having him mounted.

2652moose01.jpg

510moose02.jpg

8407moose03.jpg

7602moose04.jpg

I ended up doing a pedestal mount on a bull just a tiny bit bigger than yours. I figured I would probably never get another opportunity to shoot a moose so I went for what I wanted the most and I don't regret it at all. Mine sits darn near 8' tall. It would work without a vaulted ceiling but the room he is in does have a vault. You could make a shoulder mount work if you go that route but work with your taxidermist to make sure that what you want will work in the space you are planning on using. Here is a picture of mine so you have an idea of what you'd be working with. It takes up about a 5'x5' space in the corner of this room. Not really sure what to expect with a shoulder mount only but you know as well as I do that they are extremely large animals.

1089moose1.jpg

5761moose2.jpg

congrats on the bull.
I have one mounted in my house and it is TOO big. Wish I had a euro instead. Yes I like it and it looked great in my parents house who have vaulted ceilings. Now that I have it, don't like it. They are HUGE and take up a ton of space no matter how you get them done.
I have a 1500 sq foot basement (8' ceilings) that is my trophy room and there isn't enough room for it.

Mntman

"Hunting is where you prove yourself"

I shot my moose and euroed it. Loved the look. It happened to be a state record bull so I succumbed to peer pressure and mounted it-- pedestal, custom pose, looks sweet. I will be tearing the mount apart and making it into a euro mount again. That is just me though. Congrats on your bull.

I LOVE my Alaskan moose mount. I have 10' ceilings, and a wall just for it. I like seeing people's jaws drop when they see how big that animal is. It does make the 40" tv look awfully small though...

20160123_200946_zpsn1pcqw4e.jpg

20160131_100937_zpsgoz4xzsc.jpg

Mounting any animal begs the question, where to put it? An elk mount can really take more space than a moose, depending on what you do. At any rate it's a hard decision.
I killed a Shiras bull nearly 20 years ago and felt I just had to mount it so I did. Then for over a decade I struggled with where it would fit. It wound up in the basement where it was too large. Then it went into the garage but that didn't seem right either. Eventually I added on a new family room with vaulted ceilings and my old bull has finally found a proper home.

Whatever you do, try to preserve the memories in a fitting way, because you won't likely get to relive the experience again.

When my wife drew her moose tag in 2002, I had no plans to mount one, and planned on a euro mount. She killed a book bull, so we shoulder mounted it, but it hangs in her kitchen, only place with high ceilings. Your bull would look awesome on a skull hooker or skullmax, just like it is.

Yelum

YBU

7019yelumlogosig2.jpg

This my British Columbia moose. As others have had said it's shorter and not any wider than an elk mount but it is the elephant in the room, it has an ominous presence.

Mine is in a trophy room with ten foot ceilings and overwhelming is the look I was going for.

One of these in a 15 X 15 foot room and nine foot ceilings would be pretty overwhelming.

LAST EDITED ON Feb-02-16 AT 11:20AM (MST)[p]Hey backpackin, outta curiosity, what'd ya figure that head/cape pack load weighed?

I wasn't going to head mount my moose, but my wife( yes-you heard that right. MY WIFE)insisted that I did. My ceilings at that time were regular 8' ceilings, so I had him done in the sneak mount( similar to the one shown above). He fit in the living room just fine. Now I have 10' ceilings, and he looks even better!

Never regretted the decision. Of course, he is above the fireplace!

I say go for it!

I have 11' ceilings in my house, it was built in 1895 and all the rooms are small, plan on doing some renovations to make a game room,My moose is nearly 67" and a real pain to move,I like that pedestal mount of that moose.

You guys have posted some great photos of your moose trophies, thanks for sharing.

I would like to know what that pack weighed also, I'll bet it weighed 200 pounds.

I thought my cape weighed more than 100 pounds, it took me and the guide both to just get it on a horse.

LAST EDITED ON Feb-03-16 AT 08:09PM (MST)[p]Great bull!! I opted to do a shoulder mount. I was is in the same boat as you at the time. I only had 8' high ceilings so space was very limited as well. my mount ended up needing a 4' wide by 4' high by 5' out area of space. I now have a man cave in the basement and only have 90" high ceilings but it works you just can't walk under him. my bull is 40" wide. Here is a comparison next to a 31" wide wall pedestal muley shoulder mount.
6412img1392.jpg

3804img1393.jpg

Thanks for the input guys! And thanks for sharing the pics of your mounts, I thought every one was awesome and it gets me excited to get mine finished. As for those wondering how heavy that pack was, I bet it was well over one hundred pounds, I only had to pack it a half mile and I didn't want to go any further than that. The terrain looks all nice and clear where I took the picture but I had a nice uphill climb through a sea of chaparral brush too. I ought to post the whole story, it was kind of crazy how it all went down. By the way, the bull ended up being 46 inches wide. My favorite hunt so far.

LAST EDITED ON Mar-04-16 AT 01:34PM (MST)[p]Congrats on a great bull

Joe

"Sometimes you do things wrong for so long you
think their right" - 2001
"I can't argue with honesty" - 2005
-Joe E Sikora

LAST EDITED ON Mar-04-16 AT 01:41PM (MST)[p] Dack77, I really like that mount. I also like how you incorporated the hardwood with your tile on your flooring, looks good. I'm a carpenter by trade so I look at things like that LOL!

Joe

"Sometimes you do things wrong for so long you
think their right" - 2001
"I can't argue with honesty" - 2005
-Joe E Sikora

This is a good thread for a few reasons. I have quite a few game mounts including a 350 elk, but I think my New Hampshire moose is my best trophy and will take priority. It may be my last moose hunt. Been living in an apartment since my divorce, but got remarried last month so I have 18 months to shop for a proper house to display this guy. I am glad I did the shoulder mount, and my wife doesn't mind it, so I'll be looking for a home where I can display this guy and others. One thing to consider is you can display it in the garage if you need to if you just get the euro. I want mine inside though. I want either a big basement or a game room with vaulted ceilings. Ya right, the way my ex wiped me out, I'll likely end up with a townhouse. There is a glut of them in our market and I are quite affordable in my situation.

7057img2925.jpg

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom