Moose Needed

AspenAdventures

Very Active Member
After a very very long wait.....I finally drew my North Slope Moose tag. I know that the population is down but I am determined to find a bull. I have been extremely busy this summer with new assignments in my local Boy Scout program and have not been able to get out until this last weekend. I went looking for moose in a few of my favorite drainages on the North Slope. I found 4 cows and that was it. We put over 20 miles on the horses and I thought for sure it would end with us seeing a bull.

I have been on here helping others find bucks and bulls for many many years. There are only 8 tags in the North Slope unit so it is not like you are letting out secrets where hundreds of hunters will go next week. If you can help it would be appreciated. I do have horses and will go any distance to find the animals. I talked with sheep herders, campers, tree huggers, residents, etc.... and no one has seen a bull.....except down my Mtn View Wyoming just over the border.

I appreciate any help you can offer. I have been dreaming of hunting moose and putting in for a tag for almost 20 years. I am as excited as a kid on Christmas day.

I plan on riding at least 2 more basins before the hunt opens but time is ticking....the hunt starts in about 45 days or so. If you have seen bulls this year or last then I would appreciate a little push in the right direction. I plan on taking my 11 year old with me but he wont slow me down....he rides a horse as well and is as tough as nails. I will also be taking a 17 year old neighbor boy with me who has never hunted, but he is a tough kid too and I want to get him outside more so he can get excited about hunting. Took him with me yesterday and he was a tough kid....learned to flyfish for his first time on a high creek....also saw his first moose. Pretty cool....

Thanks again for any help you can offer.

"The penalty good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." - Plato

Good luck in your pursuit of a good bull and by all means get and keep those kids involved, as they are our future!

>Good luck in your pursuit of
>a good bull and by
>all means get and keep
>those kids involved, as they
>are our future!

Have you check over by hoop lake? I haven't been that way in a couple years but when we did hunt for elk over there we seen a fair amount of moose. Even found some decent sheds. We seen most the bigger bulls in the wilderness area

4 Bulls by Sulpher CG ...

2 are pretty good!

Walk from camp and shoot.

Wont even need a horse.

4aec49a65c565954.jpg

I ran into an eye popper in the Whitney area. PM me and I will give you particulars. I have seen him two years in a row. I am not a moose field judge and dont have pics,but, I have been around a few. This one is one worth looking at.

Good luck, Dave

Glad to see someone on here with a tag. I helped a friend with this hunt a couple of years ago, we had a hard time finding a 40? plus bull. I will PM you the particulars. The moose population is very poor as you know, don't get discouraged. The bulls that you scout up high, 10,000 feet and up will generally not be there when the hunt starts, they tend to start moving down in elevation about the first of Sept. I saw one fairly nice bull this year close to where goofyelk mentions above. I will keep any eye out and let you know if I come across anything. Good luck.

Aspen- PM Sent.

I have a WY 35 tag just across the boarder and have seen some decent bulls on the Utah side, but nothing on the WY side.

The bull in the photo is a shooter on any shiras unit. I have no hopes of seeing one even close to that size on the WY side of the line.

I did a pack trip into Gilbert lake area about 10 years ago and saw 3-5 of the largest bulls ive ever seen. If I had that tag thats where id have a look first

Why is this site the worst out for browsing with
a phone or posting with a phone?

Earlier this year I went to Evanston and then hit up the Unitas, I seen a nice bull on the Wyoming side. I wish I was more of a help :(

?If men were angels, no government would be
necessary.? John Adams

SilverEagle

Here is that same bull last Sunday. I have a buddy with a tag who I am trying to help get it. He will be close to going book.

3890img_0806.jpg

5695img_0804.jpg

9756img_0799.jpg

Aspen Adventures - I have seen more bulls this year in the north slope than in any other year. Just keep covering ground and you will find them.

Wow. He's even better than I thought he would be. I'll keep my mouth shut about his haunt. I will need to see him on the ground as my reward.

Turkrazy.....pm sent....you guys are awesome! Thanks for all your help.....talked my 17 year old daughter into going this weekend.....thanks guys!

"The penalty good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." - Plato

You guys are awesome. Thanks for all of the help. I turned my eyes toward work for a few days and thought I would check in here.....glad I did! Thanks again. After almost two decades I am ready to have some fun....and these kids want a moose more than I do....thanks again guys...I will keep you all posted and get the story on here when it happenes...

I would second Gilbert lake basin, I have seen as many as 10 bulls in that basin in one day. 4 of those bulls were toads... good luck!!

-Mtngoat

I believe that I have a shed off that big bull-picked it up a couple years ago-biggest moose shed I have ever found.

This is why this site is awesome. You guys are great for helping Aspen out.

Joe

"Sometimes you do things wrong for so long you think their right"

-Joe E Sikora

I wouldn't go hunting the whitney area with a north slope tag you will get busted.the whitney area is part of the chalk creek tag. I have seen some good bulls over buy meaks cabin area

>I ran into an eye popper
>in the Whitney area.
>PM me and I will
>give you particulars. I
>have seen him two years
>in a row. I
>am not a moose field
>judge and dont have pics,but,
>I have been around a
>few. This one is
>one worth looking at.
>
>Good luck, Dave

I wouldn't go after a moose with a north slope tag in the whitney area .the whitney area is part of the chalk creek tag.people get busted up there all of the time making this mistake

I'll be up there during the archery elk hunt...if I see a good bull moose I'll let you know!

Cutbow

Whitney is out of the boundary....thanks for the info. Turkrazy...thanks for the info bud...you were about as helpful as a guy ever was on here. You are an awesome help but...the I realized your bull is just on the other side of the highway....thanks anyway bud!

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom