Moose Unit 25

rambopup4

Going into the 2016 Wyoming Moose non resident draw I have 14 points. I need help locating private land access in unit 25 - the areas around Daniel and Big Piney off Ntl Forest land. Any advice or suggestions from anyone who has hunted Moose Unit 25 on private land would greatly be appreciated. I do not want to go through a guide or outfitter. I am willing to pay the landowner an access fee. I need the arrangement in place prior to the Feb 29th application deadline. 850-694-9262.

Sorry to bear the bad news, but you don't have enough points to draw a 25 tag and the random tag has low odds. There is some decent public lands access in the unit. I was in the moose permit chase until '14 before I was lucky enough to draw (not a 25 tag) and get out. I did a bit of checking around in 25- same as you are doing- and found most landowners were unwilling to talk about access until I had a tag in hand. Good luck.

You have a good idea but I'm not sure if its possible. I hunted 25 a couple of years ago with Terry Pollard of Bald Mountain Outfitters - right in the areas you are referring to. Killed a 40 incher after passing up a dozen or so. Lots of Moose but concentrated on relatively small areas of private river bottom. It seemed like most of that was locked up by outfitters. I would call the Biologist, Warden, BLM Range manager, and run an ad in the Pinedale newspaper. You're cutting it pretty close time-wise for all of that but Good Luck. Chip

Chip,
The Biologist, Gary Fralick, said do not apply unless I have private land contacts and access assured. The game Warden, Hymas, said some landowners allow access. I've also thought of the Pinedale Newspaper. I lived in western Wyoming for 13 years and know all about Terry Pollard. I'd no more do business with that guy than the man in the moon!

Well, it sounds like you're doing your homework. Wish I could help you out. Sorry you don't think much of Terry. I enjoyed my hunt with him and his family. He did exactly what he said he'd do and I thought his outfit was very professional. Good Luck.

LAST EDITED ON Feb-13-16 AT 09:02PM (MST)[p]Last year, those with 14 points had a 30% chance of drawing. So this year the 70% who didn't draw now have 15 points and it seems some higher point holder always jumps in ahead. There is no chance (based on the past 5 years of stats) that a points permit will fall to the 14 point level.

LAST EDITED ON Feb-13-16 AT 09:09PM (MST)[p]>Last year, those with 14 points
>had a 30% chance of
>drawing. So this year
>the 70% who didn't draw
>now have 15 points and
>it seems some higher point
>holder always jumps in ahead.
> There is no chance
>(based on the past 5
>years of stats) that a
>points permit will fall to
>the 14 point level.

That would also be my conclusion based on past odds and exactly as you've stated. I think the chance of a tag with 14PPs this year is a lot less than 1 in 3, like probably 0.

LAST EDITED ON Feb-14-16 AT 11:11AM (MST)[p]Actually the odds last year with 14PPs was 28.57%. That's closer to a 1 in 4 chance (25%) than a 1 in 3 chance (33.33%). Also, that left 143 applicants in the Random Draw for just 2 tags. If most of the remaining applicants had 13PPs and bought another PP, which they probably did, that puts them at 14 and the others at 15 PPs for this year. Now you also have to consider all the people with 13 PPs last year in other draws or that didn't apply that also bought a PP like you did and now have 14PPs. Do you see where this is leading and why we're saying what we are? The only way you will have much of a chance, if any, of drawing a tag is if an awful lot of people with 15PPs or more & 14PPs don't put in for unit 25. That is the big reason why draws are still a big gamble even after looking at stats that you think make it possible because you have no idea from one year to the next if less of the same people that didn't draw will apply again for that same tag or if a few with even more PPs will get disgusted and drop to a unit they can draw to get out of the PP race. Good luck if you decide to put in for it and let us know what happens in the draw if you do!

Here is a Bull Moose taken by a friends wife back in 2012 around the Daniel/Big Piney area back in 2012. Not sure how many points she had but I know it was not any 12+ points.

2809wymoose2012002.jpg

Brian
http://i44.tinypic.com/es7x8z.jpg[/IMG]

Out guessing the point game makes us all crazy. This time of year we are all looking at our points and identifying what units might be good for the upcoming season. It's rare when I have not been disappointed to find out that my odds didn't pan out the way I had hoped. I waited 21 years to draw my Resident OIAL tag in Utah and I was on the ground floor when I started applying.

Best of luck though. You don't draw if you don't put in.

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom