More issues for the Game and Fish

Tue May 28, 2013 11:35 AM

A former law-enforcement boss at the Arizona Game and Fish Department embezzled thousands of dollars from an undercover account set up to catch wildlife poachers and should be charged with felony theft, a state police investigation concludes.

The Department of Public Safety report alleges that John G. Romero, who resigned while under investigation in early February, set up a covert bank account using his old undercover name and siphoned public money for three years before it was detected.

Investigative findings, including a request for prosecution, were submitted to Arizona Attorney General Tom Horne more than two months ago. No charges have been filed to date, and a spokeswoman for the Attorney General?s Office said she could not comment.

Romero, who could not be reached, told investigators he did not use funds for personal expenses, according to the report. But he admitted a failure to maintain records or to get payments approved, the report says.

Gary Hovatter, special assistant to the Game and Fish director, said the 22-year officer retired with full benefits.

Hovatter said a claim may be filed for recovery of the cash. He also said the matter was referred to the Arizona Peace Officer Standards and Training Board, which regulates law-enforcement officers and is empowered to withdraw certification.

According to the DPS report, Game and Fish officials requested an independent probe in October after an audit of the Operation Game Thief program, designed to catch wildlife poachers. Records showed cash withdrawals by an unknown person named Greg D. Gomez. Romero had been given that pseudonym, with a matching driver?s license and Social Security card, years earlier when he worked undercover in the department's Special Operations Unit.

Game and Fish officials told DPS investigators that the fake identity was canceled in 2000 and that Romero had not worked undercover since 2004. They said Romero never received permission to resurrect the identity or create a covert bank account and never filed expense reports concerning the payouts.

The DPS report says at least $13,600 went into the ?Gomez? account, which was linked to Romero?s home address. Nearly all that money was withdrawn.

DPS investigators concluded that Romero improperly authorized his own expenses and was not challenged because the employee who issued checks ?knows not to ask any questions? about undercover operations.

State police said that most of the withdrawals by Romero took place on days when he did not work and when his personal bank account was low or empty.

The report says Romero failed to provide documentation of how the funds were used and stammered when asked to explain, as illustrated by a transcribed excerpt: ?You know, I spend it on, uh, you know, mostly it's for the uh, you know, the payment of, of, of services. Uh, use it for the, uh, the, you know, I help out other regions with, uh, with payments of, of, uh, just informant money or projects or, you know, just different things of that nature.?

Romero told investigators he kept his activity reports at home but was ?not the best bookkeeper. ? It seems like I'm playing fast and loose with this,? he added, ?and sometimes I do.?

Romero, whose salary was $65,362, wrote the Game and Fish Department's policy manuals for investigations and special operations. He was a nationally recognized expert on illegal trafficking of reptiles and served as a training officer.

Department records obtained via a public-records request show that Romero had been promoted through the ranks to a top enforcement job despite repeated disciplinary memos for failure to maintain and submit official records.

Hovatter said Game and Fish administrators have taken steps to prevent future violations of financial-accountability rules at the agency.

Reach the reporter at [email protected].

Pretty good deal Romero got, a 65 plus thousand dollar a year salary, and only worked 22 years for full benefits, he is probably 48 years old or so.
We get to provide for him and all his expenses for the next 30 plus years as he loafs around, Im so glad that my hard earned application money is well spent.

piper I think the benefits are not realistic too and that's one of the reason the game and fish are having such a problem with there budgets. If hes found guilty he needs to make restitution.

LAST EDITED ON May-30-13 AT 06:53PM (MST)[p]And im sure hes not the only one doing it, and who no's when he was under cover he was most likley stealing money then to .

Wow, no wonder they had the big shake up at G&F with the top brass...Heads rolled over this deal for sure.

Don Martin

Whip me, beat me, writew me bad checks! If all the punishment I get fropm embezzling from my employeer is an early retirement, think I would go start embezzling today! But I'm thinking my punishment would be more along the lines of forced room and board on the state. But, the retirement at full benifits is probabally cheaper for the state.... :)

Embezzle all those years from your employer and receive your pay check then get caught and get your full retirement.....wow, what a win/win for him. When my old neighbor gets out of prison for armed robbery I will have to tell him to put in an app. at the AZG&F sounds like his kind of place.

Arizona Hunting Guides & Outfitters

SilverGrand Outfitters

Offering mule deer, elk, antelope, bighorn sheep, javelina, and turkey hunts in Nevada and Arizona.

Arizona Elk Outfitters

Offering the serious hunter a chance to hunt trophy animals in the great Southwest.

A3 Trophy Hunts

An Arizona Outfitter specializing in the harvest of World Class big game of all species.

Arizona Strip Guides

Highly experienced and highly dedicated team of hardworking professional Arizona Strip mule deer guides.

Urge 2 Hunt

THE premier hunts in Arizona for trophy elk, mule deer, couse deer and javelina.

Shadow Valley Outfitters

AZ Strip and Kaibab mule deer, big bulls during the rut, spot-n-stalk pronghorn and coues deer hunts.

Back
Top Bottom