More WY Bear Advice

ForkWest

Very Active Member
I'm in, tag is bought! Never hunted bears ever, but this is the year. Headed out May 1st-4th. We see plenty of bear during fall deer and elk hunts in the Hoback area. That's where we're planning to head, but I've never been in that country this time of year. It'll be an adventure one way or the other. Trophy size means nothing to me, as this would be my first bear and I'm looking to just take in the experience. Are they following the snowline up this time of year? Still hanging around dens? Do you know what their primary food source is this time of year? Any advice at all for a first time bear hunter? PMs would be fine too. Thanks guys, I'll be sure to give a recap in a couple weeks after the hunt!

They will follow the snow line. This year spring came about a month early, so it should be a good year for spot and stalk. They should be chowing down on fresh greens coming up.

May 1st-4th....make sure you bring your snowshoes! We have up to 140 precent of normal snow pack in the high country. Without an established bait your going to find that time of year EXTREMELY CHALLENGING!!! That time of year you might have a better chance killing a wolf, no tag needed in the Hoback!

I'll definitley fulfill my duty if a wolf happens by! When you say "extremely challenging" can you explain a little more, just so I know what I'm up against and can plan for the challenges. Thanks

Very limited access to melted slopes. You will be unable to cross most of the creeks safely, snow may be too soft to walk on, that kind of stuff... The bears that are out will be big boars that are primarily nocturnal. Those boars will be hitting the baits they are familiar with or looking for winter kills or wolf kill's in the area, which would be productive if you found one a bear was hitting. The wolves will surplus kill in the spring so you may find a canyon that has lots of fresh kills, bears are drawn to the kills. There are a couple old grizzlies in Yellowstone that have not hibernated during the winter, the bears just follow the wolf packs and eat the carnage all winter.

It will certainly be an adventure. It is one of the most scenic times of the year! Good luck!

LAST EDITED ON Apr-21-14 AT 11:03AM (MST)[p]Fork,

Go to the WGF office find out where the Horse Creek and Cabin Creek elk feed grounds are, the wolves have killed over a 150 elk this winter at these sites. I would bet there is going to be some bears around. Only problem is the horn hunters will be out in force too...

LAST EDITED ON Apr-21-14 AT 09:14PM (MST)[p]Check out the snotel sites so you can see how much snow wyo has this year. Still a ton of snow.
Let us know how your hunt goes.

These guys make a good point. You will find them out, but the high country won't melt for some time. Look at lower areas (6000-7000 feet). Southern exposures will be melted off in some areas and you may have a chance to spot one. Think green up, cover for the bears, etc... Check the regs on wolves to be sure that they are considered predatory in the area you are going to be at and for that time.

Good luck on your hunt..good to see info provided by hunters helping hunters..good luck to all..especially those who help others..hth

Good info guys, MUCH appreciated! I'm fired up. If for no other reason than to get out and hunt during a time I usually don't. Also thanks to those that sent PM's!

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom