Most Worthless Points in the West?

Eastwood

My vote has to go with Colorado elk points. I am convinced these are nothing more than junk.

I have 11 of the wretched items. They're not edible. I can't gamble them away. Does anyone have a good idea what to do with them? They've got to have some useful purpose. Perhaps CODOW can come up with some kind of internet game to double or nothing them one shot. I'd be in. Got nuthin to lose. 12 years so I can get in a raghorn unit. Sweeeeeet.

What are your most worthless points?

nothing's worse than AZ. I have been a resident my entire life and I have never had a bull elk tag and at least 7 of my friends have had no less than 3 tags in the past 8 years. And we all put in for the same hunts, obviously I have too many points to count, they have few or none, and still get the best tags. Not to mention the numerous people who draw strip tags their first time applying (I know 4) and a guy who drew a Bighorn sheep tag with 2 points as a second choice. Sure everyone will probably say "those are only a few of so many," well its true, but it continuosly happens. At least in CO after so many years of applying, you can be guaranteed a tag, if you have the minimum number of points required. In AZ, you can have max points and NEVER get a tag. Beat that!!!!!!!!

I was lucky enough to draw a primo AZ archery elk tag with 6 BP's. None in the 4 years since. The hunt was of such high quality I could get shutout the next 6-7 years and still feel like I got my money's worth. There is at least a mathematic chance. With the new CO NR quotas I know my 11 points will get me zero quality tags in my lifetime. The only realistic hope is that the CODOW improves elk management in some current raghorn units. There are plenty of those to choose from.

I have 10 worthless Colorado elk points also. What about 2 for 1 to switch them to deer? Maybe trade all elk points for 1 deer point?

Not to hijack the thread, but Utah has great bulls and people complain. Colorado has poor elk and people complain. Arizona has great elk and think they can hunt them over and over.

I hope Utah and Arizona keep the great elk so bonus points are not useless. I hope like you guys that Colorado wakes up and builds some quality.

Colorado elk points are useless.

As worthless as 10 or 11 CO elk points are, even more so for nonresidents now with the 20% cap, at least they were cheap at only about $30. All points systems suck in my book, but the ones that blackmail you to send in $200 to $300 per year (NV, and now WY) are the worst. What really will be bad is having several thousand dollars invested in a system, then the rules change and poof, your investment is gone.

Kalifornicated started their points I believe 4 years ago. That being said, see if you can top this one! I have been applying for 40 (fourty} years to hunt antelope in this liberal left coast state and have received a rejection notice 40 different times. Fourty two years ago is when the state started the draw system for the speed goat. Yes, I believe I'am one pathetic loser!

ktc,

They should allow bartering between hunters. I will trade you my 11 CO elk points along with my PSE backup bow and pop-up camper for one deer point. That would be fair. Then at least one of us could go elk hunting.

Gee Whiz,

I'll get my elk tag again this year for $49 and will shoot another bull within 7 miles of my house. Maybe he will be bigger than the 5X6 I shot last year. He was only 280 or so but heck I got to hunt and will again this year. sucks to live in western Colorado.

BeanMan

Here's what I did with my worthless CO elk points last year. Not AZ quality, but better than the general units.

Resizeof2005Elk027_original.jpg

I'd vote for WY sheep points for those just getting in the game. Worst of all about those is that you have no choice in buying the point. If you apply, they deduct the cost of the point.

I'd have to agree. Given the draw system the WY sheep points are right up there with worthless. Next year's draw stats should confirm that even with the dropouts.

WY Sheep hands down!!! Abso-fricken-lutely worthless if you are not close to the top and have a century to wait! Yet, I still keep getting them!

CO,

How does a guy spend his useless Colorado elk points for a bull like that one? Definitely worth 10 useles points.

Eastwood,

I will top your offer and take a Budweiser cube for my 10 points. Unless of course CO wants to tell me something.

My 13 Utah points are good as gold. I wouldn't even sell them on eBay. It sucks living in big bull country with max points.;-)

I think some type of a point system is better than none at all. Yes it is getting expensive, but buying a $141 license (Idaho) just to apply is expensive also and you get no points for future years. I guess the bottom line is what do the draw odds end up being? It seems fair that a guy applying for 20 consecutive years should have alittle better chance at a tag than a newbie. As far as my most wasted points, not sure I have any wasted points.

----------------------------------------
Measure wealth by the things you have,, for which you would not take money.

ColoradoOak , very nice bull ! He's a smoker alright , as for the rest of this thread , geeze , I've gotten depressed and had a laugh , lets make a deal for points eh lol. 40 YEARS with no tag , brother , load up and come out of that hard to draw deal , WY offers alot of speed goats , heck NM is not bad either . I feel bad for not drawing an elk tag for 2 years now , but drew 9 straight before that , and I'll gladly hunt for raghorns and cows , just love hunting elk....

For those who are already in the game with Utah elk points they have value. But people who are just starting to accumulate points now are looking at a very long wait to have a reasonable chance to draw a tag.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom