Mother Jones and CAL OSHA farm question

Bluehair

Long Time Member
Ok, I realize posting a link to Mother Jones is treason, so slap the libtard label on me and move along.

In the meantime, seems like Newsom has a conflict with the farmworkers. Fun stuff to read.

Anyway, the CAL OSHA thing caught my eye and I figgered Homer or someone with first-hand knowledge could explain it to me.

Its my understanding that agricultural operations are exempt from OSHA oversight. What happened in CA that made farms subject to CAL OSHA, or are they even subject to OSHA jurisdiction?

honestly coming from an ag background in california it’s always puzzled me on the the politics around farm labor. you think the dems would be the first to do sign such bills but they never seem to line up with the laborers but rather the wealthy lobbyists.

but really it’s going to do nothing for a majority of farm labor in california. the article states 60% are illegal immigrants which sounds about right and i would bet another large % are green card holders, making the minority in the group citizens.

yeah newsome might sign it to save face but it really does nothing to address the real problems in organized farm labor. there needs to be better access or incentives to go the legal route to gaining a working visa in california before there will be successful farm labor unions a. the fact is most of the workers are illegal immigrants and they don’t care about legislation or union, they just wana get paid cash and western union that back home.

edit: i don’t know anything about cal osha. they only gave a **** that there were shade structures, portable toilets and cold water. they would check those box’s and leave.

Let us put it this way. Newsom is like his aunt Nancy Pelosi. He will go where the money is for his campaign money. The farm labors are holding a dog turd. That is until they can get the majority of them being able to vote.
RELH

"But Newsom nixed a similar measure last year, citing “various inconsistencies and procedural issues related to the collection and review of ballot cards” in his official letter to the Assembly. The UFW responded by organizing a protest march to the ultra-fancy Napa Valley restaurant French Laundry, a favorite spot of Newsom’s, and on to his nearby vineyard."

Typical Democrat. They only honor elections that go their way. He should have arrested the protestors.

The Democrats are like a mule drawn wagon master. They dangle a carrot in front of the mules to get them to go forward on the path they want them to go. Those mules represent black Americans that will never get the carrot that is promised to them. The Democrats will do the same to the Hispanics. The Republicans need to get smart and snatch those votes from black Americans and Hispanics. The Hispanics will become a major voting block in the future years.
They can do it by giving the Hispanics work visas that allow them to stay and work here as long as they obey our laws and continue to show they have a job. Border will need to be shut down and the illegals required to register for a work visa. No need to grant them blanket citizenship. If they obtain a B.A. degree or complete one term in the military with honor, allow them to take the citizenship test. If they complete training in a trade school and go on to a paying job, allow them to take the citizenship test.
As for the larger inner cities, install trade schools to teach the kids a trade they can use to get gainful work and have the states and cities also pony up funds to operate the trade schools.
RELH

Well, I looked at the CALOSHA site, and just saw the boilerplate about them having authority over everything everywhere. A little vague on the ag industry though.

I noticed they also claim jurisdiction on Tribal lands. This seems unusual unless the Tribe has agreed to allow State jurisdiction. Fed OSHA yes, but not usually a state agency.

Last edited:

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom