Mount Emily

whtelk

So how many preference points do you guys think it will take to draw the new Mule deer hunt in Mount Emily?

It will take 11-15 points. My rough calculations show that:

132 people have 11 points
60 people have 12 points
18 people have 13 points
12 people have 14 points
7 people have 15 points

No non-resident tags will be given out for this hunt. People may draw with 9 or 10 points. At least one person will draw with zero points. This and the other late hunts offered this year will make some of the other sought after October hunts ie: Steens, Trout Cr, Starkey Exp Forest a LITTLE easier to draw.

Mt emily, white river and I think hood unit, November 20 to 30, 10 tags a piece. You better be packing the most points for the Mt emily tag

Rich

Wanted what makes you think there will no Non-Resident tags given out for the Mt. Emily hunt. YOu have to get all 7 guys witgh 14 points to actually apply. I think it is a toss up with the guys with 12 and 13 points. But the Mt. Emily hunt will be a good one cannot wait to see what turns out with it.

Dave

I NEVER SAID NEVER!!!! But if you take a look at the hunts with 25 or fewer tags issued ie:Starkey Exp forest, NE Whitehorse ML, Hart Mtn ML, Juniper ML, none were given to non-residents. Eventually, I think they'll give them to the non-res, but only after all the max point residents are gone. Even though Non-Res are allowed up to 5% of the tags in each hunt, they very rarely draw before a resident.

That's why you don't see them listed in the draw stats, they are given to the outfitter to market before the drawing. Any not sold by April 15 are put back into the drawing. The number of outfitter tags is equal to 1/2 the number of NR tags drawn the previous year, whether there are any given out the first year on a new hunt, I don't know. HIGHDESERT would know, as he's an outfitter in Oregon.

And I had the Juniper Tag this year. So yeah there was not a NR Tag issued for this hunt. As far as tag allottment goes. A non-resident can figuire the extremly limited entry tags that they will go to them on even years and to the guides on odd years. This is a great program for guides it is very similar to the Nevada guide draw. Except the fact the outfitters have the opportunity to market the tag for roughly 90 days. If not they go back into the draw pool. So for last year the NR Tags went to the guides. The tags for all of the Premier elk hunts as well as the Juniper, NE Whitehorse, and Hart Mtn Muzzleloader tags all went to the guides they will go to the Non-residents this year 2008

Dave

I thought that was the way it worked. I have 1 point off the max for both elk and deer - NR. Just waiting my turn. Probably going for Wenaha archery elk, haven't decided on the deer. These new hunts look interesting.

goldhunter, Curious how many elk points do you have and how many NR wenaha tags do you guess there will be this year for bow? I am way back in the pack with seven elk points for nr. Had the wenaha tag in washington this year, what an awesome elk hunt you will be in for a treat if you draw just get in shape! nwhunter

There will be 1 Non-resident tag for the Wenaha, Walla Walla, Starkey, Juniper, Hart Mtn. Muzzleloader, NE Whitehorseand Trout Creeks, and the Starkey hunt. There will be 9 or 10 for Beatty's Butte and East Whitehorse 3 for South Juniper. 2 for the North Warner, 11 for the wagontire hunt. for Rifle Deer. As far as the new hunts got. I am predicting 1 Non-resident tag per hunt IE: Beulah Late Archery, SE Whitehorse, and the Hart Hunt. Along with the new rifle hunt Hood, Mt. Emily this will be a big time tag. Interstate Youth there will be none for Non-residents. The best youth tag out there for a Non-resident kid is either the Applegate or the North Warner Tag. 13 for the steens as their is not a guide/outfitter in the steens as of yet. I am patiently waiting my time for this permit. Ant further questions about tag numbers let me know.

As for 1 point under max you are looking at a minimum of 3 years for the wenaha tag and up to 20 with all the Point saver Non-resident holders.

Dave

Actually, after checking I only have 12 points each, way out of the money on Wenaha. Maybe draw a deer tag soon. As far as the point savers, I'm hoping some of them are rifle hunters.

Ya, after studying the point report if the point savers are mostly archers waiting for Wenaha and only one tag every other year, we will all be old and gray before we draw. There are about 60 in my group and above. It looks like I'll be hunting Arizona before Oregon and I have only my loyalty point there.

I found a buck on the west side of the hunt that we were looking for. We could not find him friday night or Saturday AM. The client got a call and had an emergency at home and had to leave Sunday AM so we got 1 hunt day in. We saw several 160+ bucks on saturday and did not realize the hunt was going to get cut short. But was an absolute blast none the less. We were trying to get back on the 2nd half of the hunt but he did not get free until the end of the season.

Dave

I've been looking the Oregon situation over a little closer. It does indeed appear that it could be many, many years before I am in the running for Wenaha bow. The question of the day then is: How do the Mt. Emily and Walla Walla bow hunts compare to the Wenaha?

On the new deer hunts, I'm guessing the rifle hunts will take max or near max points. I also think these new hunts will draw down the point pool on the resident side pretty significantly.

But the new archery hunts should be down a few points. I was kind of holding out for Juniper or NE Whitehorse muzzy. I think I would be in the running for either the muzzy or the bow hunts. Do you guys think the new archery hunts have the potential for bigger bucks than the muzzy hunts?

My personal feeling is that you could find a bruiser in any of these hunts but no one unit has a better proportion of big bucks than the next. This is not based on personal knowledge. But rather my beliefs of how trophy muleys are allowed to develope. You generally need low hunting pressure and/or low success due to rough country, poor hunt dates, dark timber, etc.

In any case I think bow hunting muleys is easy. Bow hunting trophy muley bucks is exceptionally difficult. Although these bow hunts are very tempting, I may have to stick to my guns, in this case my muzzleloader.

HighDesert. Wondering if you can explain this to me. Applied my son everyyear for Interstate youth. @ 15 he was one of 3 NR that applied with 3 points. The next year tag went to guide. His last year, with 5 points, he struck out. Did the other NR youth draw the tag or was there some other dymanic I didn't know about?? Not itching, just wondering.

His last year to apply was last year by the way.

Yeah I can a Non-resident Cheated simply put. The youth who drew the tag last year had 8 points!!!!! and he was 17 I raised wholly hell over this because the kid he was applying with had 8 points as well and he was a resident. So lets just say the state is investigating these two people. Trust me your son had a shot at it but when you get cheaters who start the kids young their is nothing any of us can do about it.

Not to get off topic, but I would not waste many points on the new Hood late hunt. I live in the unit and I would not waste more than a point or two on that hunt. Yeah you might find a decent blacktail late in the season, but you are more than likely to be very disapointed if you have never hunted the unit.

Did they start them young or roll over their 800 series points into the 600 series like the guy who drew the Umatilla NWR tag with 16 points?

Wow! No wonder my daughter never drew a tag. The way I understood it was that you could not start appling for points until the age of 12.
I noticd this year that they have changed that.

>Wanted what makes you think there
>will no Non-Resident tags given
>out for the Mt. Emily
>hunt. YOu have to get
>all 7 guys witgh 14
>points to actually apply. I
>think it is a toss
>up with the guys with
>12 and 13 points. But
>the Mt. Emily hunt will
>be a good one cannot
>wait to see what turns
>out with it.
>
>Dave

I'm curious how you figure a non-resident would have a chance at drawing this tag? NR's are limited to no more than 5% of the tags for each hunt, so being that there are only 10 tags, and 5% of 10= 0.5 I don't see how even 1 Mt Emily tag could go to a NR? A hunt would need to have 20 tags for even 1 of those to be available to a NR. What am I missing?

I applied for the emily hunt,i only have six points but what the heck

"Pain is fear leaving your body"

Back
Top Bottom