Mount prices

Zigga

Long Time Member
Is it just me or have prices on mounts shot way up? An elk shoulder mount used to be around $700 and now they are around $1,200. Sheep sized mounts used to be $350 and are now $600. I haven't had a big game animal mounted in the last 3-4 years so are these figures accurate?

I just had an elk done and it cost me $795 for a shoulder mount. I know they can get up to around a thousand for a pedestal and open mouth but I haven't heard of a plain shoulder mount costing $1200.

It's always an adventure!!!
www.awholelottabull.com

Must be for a "fuel surcharge". ;-)

48288e6577d023b6.jpg

>Is it just me or have
>prices on mounts shot way
>up? An elk shoulder
>mount used to be around
>$700 and now they are
>around $1,200. Sheep sized
>mounts used to be $350
>and are now $600.
>I haven't had a big
>game animal mounted in the
>last 3-4 years so are
>these figures accurate?

Is it just me or has the price of EVERYTHING shot way up ?
Why is it that everyone expects a taxidermist to never keep pace with inflation ?
I bet some of you guys tip your guides and camp help more than what you pay for a deer shoulder mount.

It also depends on the Taxidermist, I had a cguy who does awesome work charge $500 for a shoulder mount on a antelope it came awesome but the prior years was $375 last year.

I inquired about getting one done and he raised is prices even higher the reason he said is he did not want to take in as many animals. By doing it this way he will be able to dedicate more time into doing quality work.

THE LORD IS MY ROCK
COLORADO,USA
NRA LIFE MEMBER
HUNTING PASS IT ON

I'd be shopping for price and quality. Some of these guys tend to get a bit hungry come early and mid summer when they run out of work. I shot a mountain goat last year and was able to get a tanner in Montana to do the tanning for $250 which turned out great. I picked up a full body form and eyes from Jonas for another $350. I then shopped and negotiated a deal with a reputable local taxi to mount it for a flat fee and am looking at saving at least 50% over what some guys wanted to do everything complete. Never hurts to shop and negoatiate...

shop around, for an elk shoulder (not bugling) 900 should be the high,
deer 500.

extra things and non standard positions will cost more.

on thing people forget is fuel, forms are HUGE and shipping sucks on them.
two elk forms can easily cost 100 bucks to ship.

another thing about forms, the cost has tripled on some due to fuel costs, foam= petrolatum = gas=$$$$$$$$$$$$$

so ya expect the prices to go up with everything else, but i would not expect them to lower when fuel does....

I live life one mule deer at a time.

Triple_BB
I don't want to ruffle any feathers but I find your approach offensive. I'm a full-time taxidermist and have been for over 30 years. You wouldn't take eggs, batter and bacon to a restaraunt and ask for a better price on breakfast would you ?
A propper mount requires a propper fitting form, one-size does not fit all. You wouldn't hire a craftsman to do your kitchen cabinets and then go shopping for him in order to seek a discount !
I've had customers who thought that they would get a discount if they "did most of the work" before bringing it to me. It don't work that way, in fact I tell them that I should probably charge extra for all the extra work they made for me.
If your Mountain Goat form wasn't the propper size, you made alot extra work for your taxidermist.

Signed,
Rodney Dangerfield

Pay for what you get. You do or order anything and it is wrong then it should cost more.
Just remember if you pay a cheaper price and it falls apart then you should not complain. This is one of the times that paying more is better.
Amen glass-eye!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I agree with glass_eye.

It would make it very difficult for a taxidermist to guarantee his work if he has no control over a big part of it. If the hair on the hide starts slipping after a year, would you blame the taxidermist.

I'm a dentist, but it always bugs me when people try to do stuff themselves (adjust their dentures, or pull their own teeth). It usually casuses more work for me and higher fees for them. Any person in their own business probably feels this same way. I've had patients go elsewhere for bargain dentures costing a couple hundred less then what I charge. They then come back to me a month later when they don't fit or look right and expect me to fix them. I refuse to, because I don't want it to become my problem. They then get mad when I tell them I'll do a new set for them, but it will be the normal cost.

I guess I can't speak for them, but I'd be willing to say taxidermists feel the same way. If they can't control all aspects of their work, they won't feel comfortable to guarantee the work.

You get what you pay for. If you wan't something done right and want it to last, there is a price for it. I've found taking the cheap route usually costs more in the long run.

I think most Taxidermists are underpaid. I can hardly blame them for chargin $1000 for an elk. To me, it seems like a lot
of work.

I do not negotiate prices with my Taxidermist.

Just beware of the prices in Arizona, I think they are the highest in the country. Alot of guys are paying 750 to 1000 for a deer mount here. I took one of mine to a guy here Trails End Wildlife and didn't do a great job. I paid him extra to do a certain mount and after 3 1/2 years went by he slammed it together. Over paid, didn't get what I asked for.

Ohiohntr
When I was thinking of examples to compare, I thought of someone doing their own dentistry to get a discount, but then I thought "bad example, nobody could be that stupid"
That's too funny !

I had an antelope and whitetail done last fall for a total cost of $500.It would have to be near a world record elk before I would pay over $1000 for the mount.My Taxidermist charges me $500 for elk,$350 for caribou,but I have known him most of my life and I and him have hunted all over north america together.

glass_eye,
I actually had a patient that tried to pull out a tooth with vice grips. He got it out along with 3 others and about a third of his upper jaw bone. Trying to save the $80 for an extraction costed him several thousand in oral surgery fees.

LAST EDITED ON Aug-26-08 AT 05:24PM (MST)[p]+1 for Glass Eye

I helped my dad with his glass business for a couple years and every now and then we would get a call from someone asking us to install some windows they bought as seconds from Home Depot. When you do those kind of jobs are basically selling labor and believe it or not, that is not where your profits at. It only took once for us to realize that we could make a lot more and finish with a quality product not taking those "i got the materials, could you install them for me" jobs. We'd say no thanks and hit the golf course instead on taking on the frustration of trying to fit a rectangle window into a (some what) square opening. Some framers do not know what a square is.

If you don't normally do it and need a quality job, find someone who does and pay the price. Certainly shop for quality and price, but have it done right or don't do it at all. The old saying is right, you get what you pay for.

Ouuuch, just thinking about pulling one of my teeth with a pair of vice grips makes me cringe!!! Heeeers yer sign.
264X300

>I find your approach offensive. I'm a full-time
>taxidermist and have been for
>over 30 years.

Rodney, don't be offended. It's a free market society and no one is holding a gun to yer head or anyone else for that matter. There's plenty of quality taxi's who don't have a problem competing for business and that's who I'll do my business with. Yer free to charge what you want and do business with who you please. More power to ya...

There was a time when my hunting partner and i were killing some pretty darn good muley bucks yet could not really afford to have them mounted. We sent for catologs and read some books on how to DIY. Back then, we had about $50-60 tied up in each mount that we did during the winter after duck season closed.

A couple of the first ones, not so good, yet, they weren't so bad either. As time went on we got better at it and i have 3 mounts including the last one i worked on, still hanging in the front room, 25 years later.

I believe you'll find that they won't be as nice as what you might get paying to have a professional job done but even if they don't come out perfect, you did it yourself, there's pride in your handiwork, and lord help the guy who says they look like shi#. lol

Joey

Why people skimp on taxi work is beyond me. It's something you want to look up at for the rest of your life and remember fondly. It's not something to pinch a penny with. Somebody mentioned competition and finding a txi who was hungry for business. Tell you what, a good taxi man has more business than he can handle and is probably worth what he charges. I'd raise an eyebrow if a guy was real hungry for my business and willing to wheel and deal.

This is a great debate. I like that some taxis are getting involved. Taxidermy is an art form and there are a few who do it very well and some who can just do it. I had a good sized mule deer done 11 years ago that I still marvel at today because I feel he really captured the majesty of this buck and I am glad that I paid what I did and would gladly pay twice that price now, which would be around $750. The same taxidermist also did a huge buck for a celebrity that same year and he treated me the with the same respect and courtesy as the high dollar country singer with a much larger trophy. I was very impressed and will take future work to him if I am in the area again, and I won't hesitate when he tells me what it will cost because I know it will be worth it when it is done. I have seen too many crappy looking mounts to chance it for a lower price.

UTROY
Proverbs 21:19 (why I hunt!)

LAST EDITED ON Aug-27-08 AT 06:14PM (MST)[p]+1 BigPig

I find it almost comical that some hunters will spend $1000 on a new rifle, 40K on a jacked up F350, 3K in europian optics, only to skimp on the mount. A good taxi knows what he's worth and will charge it. I've seen a $250 mount.....no thanks.

I've seen some $250 mounts and you are right, NO THANKS. There are 3 taxidermists I will go to and 1 does birds REALLY well. The others do the best work for big game but getting the animal back before 3 years is a problem for 1 of them. Prices have gone way up for everything and a 30% increase is acceptable nowadays for really good work. I just wasn't sure how it was everywhere else. I have a whitetail mount that is 10 years old and it looks just like it did the day I brought it home. I guess that is what you are really paying for.

Guys, Weren't some of you ever young? I pull in $70.P/hr now but back when i first started hunting big bucks, i worked two full time jobs at 8-$10. hr just to be able to cover the home expenses to take near a month off every year so i could hunt 2 or 3 states. The time off to hunt was not paid, there was always some new gear to get, tags to buy over the counter, food and fuel to buy. I typically made the hunts on $1500-2000. total, at the time, a huge amount, to me, of cash money.

I totally agree that nothing looks better than an excellent job on a great muley buck. But looking back, when i returned home from those early wanderings, money was REALLY tight, i suppose that others then and many now, costs are way higher, feel the same pinch. The way i see it, you have four choices; pay the man, DIY, some type of skull mount, or hang em in the garage rafters...all good! It's "going" that's really important.

Joey

Good point Joey. Memories are what you make of them, not what hangs on your wall and if your trophy is enhanced by your own taxi work, even if it is not museum quality then that is something to be proud of and more power to you. My grandpa killed a huge buck in East Canyon in the early 60's that he never even thought of mounting. It just hung in the rafters in his attic and then after he died the house caught fire and they were burned up. He never felt like any less of a hunter because he didn't have a trophy on the wall. That wasn't his style - he was a mason and made the wall itself and was more proud of that than anything he ever did hunting or fishing.

UTROY
Proverbs 21:19 (why I hunt!)

This is a good post. I read through all of the replies and I can't resist putting in my 4 cents worth. (used to be 2 cents, but inflation has risen lately)

I'm a full time taxi, and I just had to raise my prices this summer to keep up with the rising costs to produce a quality mount.

Here's a few of the reasons why I raised my prices.

My tanning costs went up during the winter last year, costing me an extra $6,000. I had sent the hides to the tannery in the fall, then the tanner raised prices on Jan 1. That means I am mounting heads at my quoted price but paying more for tanning than I figured.

Mannikin prices went up sharply. Like the tanning they went up in the spring and this also wasn't figured into my quoted prices. That means I am mounting heads at my quoted price, but again I am paying more for the mannikin than I figured.

All supplies increased in price. No joke, they almost all went up.

Shipping went up drastically, and everything we taxidermists use is shipped one way, and sometimes two ways. We ship hides to the tannery, then pay to have them shipped back, or we haul them to the tannery, and pick them up when finished. We all know it costs at least 30% more for a gallon of fuel this year than it did last year. Once again, I mount a head and this extra money comes out of my profit margin because I quoted the price during the summer of 07 and the prices went up during the winter.

Most of us taxidermists were working for a much smaller profit margin this year because we were caught in the middle of all this price increasing, and we are bound to our quoted prices that we gave you when you dropped off the animal.

I raised my deer heads from $575 to $625 for a flat back shoulder mount. I raised elk flat back shoulder mounts from $900 to $975. These increases will cover the extra costs I pay for the materials, tanning, overhead, etc. I am gambling that the tanning costs won't rise, and that shipping won't go up too much, and that my customers will pay for their mounts in a timely manner.

This is probably more info than I should have given out, but one thing I can promise you is that if a taxidermist fails to make money, he will go out of business in short order. That means that the warranty on your mount expires as well. A business that is making money will grow and improve and be able to better serve it's customers for a long time.

I also would like to comment on the guy that shops around and gets his own tanning done, then buys his own form, etc to save money.
If you bring your own tanning here to my shop, I cannot provide a warranty on your mount. Also, I have had guys bring mannikins in with their capes that they have bought, and rarely if ever does the mannikin fit the cape, and they are normally a cheap piece of crap from a sub par taxidermy supply company.

Good taxidermy is worth every penny, and if taken care of properly should last you a lifetime. Think about that when you think that a mount costs too much.

The sting of a high price for quality wildlife art lasts but a moment,and is lost in the beauty of the rendition, while the ache of a cheap attemp at taxidermy lingers for years.

Good hunting!
Travis

>The sting of a high price for quality wildlife art lasts but a >moment,and is lost in the beauty of the rendition, while the >ache of a cheap attemp at taxidermy lingers for years.

Aint that the truth!

Travis (aka deerbedead) has done 5 mule deer mounts for me and he is currently doing my 6th, and I can tell you his work is worth every penny. $625 is cheap for an awesome mount. Travis, is arguably one of the best mule deer taxidermist anywhere.As long as I have known him he has done little if any advertising and he has plenty of work.That speaks volumes.Bottom line, if a taxidermist is willing to strike a cheap bargin I'd run the other way.

I also think the same guys that claim there is no difference between a $50 pair of bushnells and a $1800 swarovskis are the same guys that think there is no difference between a $300 mount and a $600 mount.

Mike

Amen, Travis
I recently had a steady customer confess to me that he took some ducks to someone else because he was cheaper and I took too long. He told me of how he regrets doing it and that he wants to come back to me. He said he'd prefer to pay a little more and wait however long it took, as long as he knew they'd be done right.
I told him what I tell everyone that shops for a cheap price.
"You can pay my price and get a mount that you'll be proud to hang in your livingroom, or you can get it done cheaply somewhere else and get a mount that is only fit to hang in the garage"

Breck

>LAST EDITED ON Aug-27-08
>AT 06:14?PM (MST)

>
>I find it almost comical that
>some hunters will spend $1000
>on a new rifle, 40K
>on a jacked up F350,
>3K in europian optics, only
>to skimp on the mount.
>A good taxi knows what
>he's worth and will charge
>it. I've seen a $250
>mount.....no thanks.

I am a taxidermist, and you speak the truth. I have spent a lot of time and money to get my work to a high level, and I want customers that can appreciate it.

4000fps,

Mind tell us who you are or if you perfer, PM me and those who might like to know for future reference.

Thanks for your comments too.

Brian

Just wanted to share my thoughts on this subject. I'm a full time taxidermist of almost 30 yrs. experience now. I've built my business and name through no advertising but with honesty and integrity with my customers. Word of mouth has made me sucessful. Taxidermy is a true art and you do get what you pay for. There is more in expenses of mounting a trophy than just the materials needed (including shipping). The cost of running a taxidermy shop also rises. I need power and heat and water and office supplies and cleaners and repairs to equipment and the list can go on and on. I also use the best mannikins and eyes and materials available. All this adds up and must be adjusted with what makes your business money, and that is the price of mounts. I'm not going to talk bad about any other taxidermists or the way they run their shop. I am not getting rich by all means doing taxidermy. I have the same passion now as I had 30 years ago doing the only thing I really enjoy...... Taxidermy.

Silverwolf Taxidermy

>I'm a full time taxidermist of almost
>30 yrs. experience now.
>I've built my business and
>name through no advertising but
>with honesty and integrity with
>my customers. Word of
>mouth has made me sucessful.

This is a key issue for me if I'm shopping for a deal. And for you guys who like to negotiate deals, this info is paramount. Most guys have been saying you get what you pay for. Not always true as is the case with a lot of things in life. If you focus on taxi's who have been around a long time and do good work, which usually goes hand in hand, the comments above will guarantee a good job. The guy doing my Mtn Goat is an excellent taxi. I know he won't do a crappy job because his reputation is on the line and he's done work for me in the past. The last thing he'll want are people coming in the house asking who mounted that piece of crap. Like I've noted, some of these guys get hungry in the summer months after they run out of work, others aren't members of taxidermy union local #69 and will work with you if you ask. If they won't, no big deal, move on or pay the man's price. It's free enterprise baby...

I live in AZ and I am having a muley done by Southwest Wildlife. Jim's charge is 650 for a shoulder mount. I have looked at his showroom and he does very good work. I would rather pay a little extra for a job well done. I have seen some taxi work that would not belong in a garage. The deer looked like it was in a war and lost.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom