Mountain lion or Wolf track?

hunter_614

2105big_ass_track.jpg

4750unkonwn_tracks.jpg

I would say looks like a Wolf track.

(The surprising thing about young fools is how many survive to become old fools)

It's a dog track for sure and not a cat track. Probably just a very large coyote. Good ahead and shoot it.

LAST EDITED ON Aug-24-10 AT 03:00PM (MST)[p]I say its a cat track the claws are showing because of the wet heavy snow. Here is a picture of a cat tracks in the sand.
478cat_track.jpg

I would also say cat track, canines are a little more pointy than round. I agree that the claws are marking due to the depth of the snow

Skull Designs: Quality European Mounts at affordable prices

Lion track. While the presence of claws would immediately lead you to believe that it is a canine track, it is possible though rare to see a cat leave claw marks. What gives it away as a cat are two things - first the presence of three lobes rounded down in the heel pad and the extra length of the lead toe. The claw marks are also very shallow in the snow, on a canine they would be as deep, or deeper as the rest of the track. This indicates the cat had just pounce or was running as it made the track and its foot was fully splayed out as indicated by the spreading of the toes.

UTROY
Proverbs 21:19 (why I hunt!)

If you make your eyes all fuzzy, it looks like Jesus holding an umbrella....

Steve
T&A Inspector

Canine tracks generally will show claws...lions(cats) almost never. Canine tracks tend to be more pointed ....lions flat. Also lions, as are all cats, back pad is 3 lobed.

This looks like a classic canine track.

from the "Heartland of Wyoming"

I followed these tracks for a 1/2 mile, it was not running and some of the tracks were in shallow snow, but all of the tracks did show claw marks and all of the tracks were spead like these in the picture. I have seen alot of cat tracks while hunting and have always been able to identify them clearly but this is different. The pad does not seem big enough in comparison to the whole paw and I could not distinquish three lobes. The claw marks could have been filled in when I scraped the snow back to get a better picture. I am not saying it is not a cat but, it does not look like the cat tracks I have seen in person.

Also if you notice in these pictures you can see where the track is layed over another track and I believe that falls in line with a canine and not so much a cat.

Thats a tough one. From the pictures it looks like the back of the heel pad has 3 lobes and the top has 2 and the tear drop shape of the toes and the relation of the toes to the heel pad all say cat track. It looks like only the 2 middle toes show claw marks, maybe just a coincidence where the snow moved a little there? I say cat from the pics.

Ryan

I really think it's a member of the dog family but I'm no expert. Ole yeller maybe?

My favorite comments; "big coyote, shoot it" and "if you squint your eyes it looks like Je......" and "follow it and see if it drops any more money"

That's some good material. I almost fell off my chair from laughter!

Zeke

Most definately a lion track. A cat will have tracks that overlap, not canines. If you followed the tracks for a ways you should know if the animal was stepping in its own tracks as it walked and the tracks will basically be in line with one another. A canine however leaves tracks that kind of alternate and are side to side with no overlapping. I've seen lots of wolf tracks and even more lion tracks. Go search wolf tracks on the net and compare the pics to yours and you will quickly see it is not a wolf/canine track. Check out the links below to see some pics.

Wolf:
http://lecs.cs.ucla.edu/~nithya/personal/Alaska Pics 3/pages/Wolf Tracks_JPG.htm

Lion:
http://guytal.com/gtp/gallery/image.jsp?iid=c000117&gid=20&stid=0&mid=light&iidx=1

Well We may have just found the first evidence of big foot if no one knows what it is. Congrats!

Turn the Dogs out.
Any Lion Hunter has seen Claws in the Snow.The comment about the second track is right.You can see were the cat put its other foot in the same hole.
Were EXACTLY did you say you were?

Fullcry is right, as houndsmen we see cat and dog tracks side by side constantly. These tracks are beyond obvious. Not to offend, but anyone calling these dog tracks need to get out of the house and spend a little more time in the field.

Had this looked at by two fish and game officers and a goverment trapper and all three of them said it is Canine.

I appreciate the comments and input.

>Had this looked at by two
>fish and game officers and
>a goverment trapper and all
>three of them said it
>is Canine.
>
>I appreciate the comments and input.
>

I still say it is a cat (feline, cougar, puma ) not dog (canine, wolf, coyote )

I rest my case on it being a cat!!
If you had the government employees say canine, then that should have told you that it would obviously be a cat!!!!!

Exactly NickW! LOL

I would trust the lion hunters here.

UTROY
Proverbs 21:19 (why I hunt!)

Just in case you guys don't get to the Preds.
These are wolf.

90552010_wolf_hunt_010.jpg

52422010_wolf_hunt_011.jpg

34232010_wolf_hunt_045.jpg

Wolf claws are very prominent and pads are elongated. Cats front pads are rounded.

That is a big kitty.

HK

100% certain its a cat track.

At first I was thinking LION and DTFB, then it occurred to me.

Could it be a lynx track?

Don't have them around here, and I have never seen one, but it seems if I remember right, that they have toes spread farther apart than lions, but can't remember about the claws?

Just a thought. But 100% feline, the "WW" on the back of the track is a dead giveaway.

Later,

Marcial

>100% certain its a cat track.
>
>
>At first I was thinking LION
>and DTFB, then it occurred
>to me.
>
>Could it be a lynx track?
>
>
>Don't have them around here, and
>I have never seen one,
>but it seems if I
>remember right, that they have
>toes spread farther apart than
>lions, but can't remember about
>the claws?
>where do you live im a evertsen also

>Just a thought. But 100%
>feline, the "WW" on the
>back of the track is
>a dead giveaway.
>
>Later,
>
>Marcial

Cat beyond any doubt .and yes the lobes present at the back of the pad are the dead give away

GEEZUS!
I just seen this thread!
Some F&G boys looked at it & said canine?
WTF?
Please let us know who these two JOKERS were?

I love not acting my age,
Damn I love my NASCAR race,
And Hell yes I love my Truck!

OK 3!
Still blows my mind!
Maybe they could get the USFS up there to verify it too?}>}>}>

Mtn lion for sure. I have tracked several lions that had there claws out enough to show in the track. Dog tracks are not so strait across as your lion track picture is.

Definately a feline track. If it was a canine you should be able to draw an invisible X through the track, also a cats track is much more round than that of a wolf or yote. Notice the X intersects in the middle of the CATS track... and there is an open space in the WOLF track

Wolf my ass!

I have seen plenty of wolf tracks here in Idaho and like those shown on this thread they are all very elongated and pointed. Those are NOT wolf tracks or coyote tracks. I can not speak to Lynx. They clearly look like Mtn Lion except the claws, but many here with more experience say seeing the claws out are not unusual so it seems it is clearly Feline not Canine.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom