Muzzle brake?

Stinkbug

I've been thinking about putting a muzzle brake on my Remington Sendero 7mm. Does anyone know if this will affect the accuracy of my rifle?

No, but it will blow your ear drums out...

horsepoop.gif

Disclaimer:
The poster does not take any responsibility for any hurt or bad feelings. Reading threads poses inherent risks. The poster would like to remind readers to make sure they have a functional sense of humor before they visit any discussion board.

It will probably improve your accuracy since the recoil will be lower. That is, if the louder sound does not make you flinch more...

I personally like muzzle breaks on magnum rifles, but they are loud and wear appropriate ear protection.

It affects wheather or not your friends like to hunt with you. Anyone standing by you during the heat of the moment, will remember the "moment".

Bucklover Is right on ! If you dont believe him you can ask my nephew. He will not line up beside me ever again. haha
I have always tryed to stay away from muzzle breaks in the past. Until I shot my 300 Tejas that has a break on it. It is basicly a hot 300 rum. Sure it helps on recoil,but the nice thing about the break on this gun. Is that you can see the bullet impact on the target. So it keeps the muzzle down.
I do have a set of sport ears custom molded to my ear to use when hunting. The kind that shut off when the gun goes off.But I have hunted with out them and it didn't bother me to much. Generally it a one shot kinda of thing. ;)

I personally would break it.......

I wondered about my 300 Sendero, and ended up putting a break on it and I shoot it much better. Sure its loud, but it doesn't rip my arm off and I don't need a lead sled to shoot more than three rounds through it.

I read a report that the military released, it said that like 5% of people shooting magnum rounds can actually shoot without ANY flinch after 1 round......Put a break on and I would bet money you can shoot better. My 300 RUM kicks about like a 243 now, I have shot 40+ rounds at competitions without even a slight bruise and watched many 220-250 pound guys that shoot daily flinch like a little girl at about 30 rounds.

To each there own, ear plugs are cheap, missing the shot of a lifetime because you flinch or aren't 100% comfortable behind your gun isnt worth it to me. Your buddies will learn to wear ear plugs as well :)

If you mean a regular old 7mm Rem Mag, don't waste your money or ear drums.
If your talking about a 7mm RUM, I would consider it.

I don't know that it would be a necessity on a 7mm but they do work.

Rifles use muzzle brakes, handguns and shotguns are ported. They keep the recoil parallel to the barrel and greatly reduce muzzle jump.

I have several ported shotguns and a Mod 29 Smith that I wouldn't shoot if it was not ported. I don't shoot magnum rifles anymore, so I don't have a brake on any of them.

Guys that do a LOT of shooting swear by them, but everyone around you swears at them.

Handguns and shotguns scatter powder residue out the vents, so it just ain't good to stand beside the shooter.

"whackin' a surly bartender ain't much of a crime"

Take a look at a good ***** pad if you already haven't. If you have then you may also be interested in a little mercury tube recoil reduction system installed in the stock of the gun. Works great. Adds some weight but does help.

I have shot 7mm's that will rattle your teeth. I like a muzzy break on anything magnum. It will improve accuracy significantly.

I have a sendero in 7mmrum. the gun is so heavy it doesnt need a muzzle brake. if you get one, it doesnt affect accuracy, but it will be VERY loud. I had a 257wby mag that I wanted my wife and sons to shoot, I had a muzzle brake put on it, my gunsmith said it would be loud. I thought so what. that gun was so loud it hurt to shoot without earplugs. it doesnt matter when your at the range, but I shot an antelope and a deer without ear plugs and ended up selling the gun because I dont hunt with earplugs. a heavy sendero rifle in 7mm doesnt need a muzzle brake.

STINK- I've done a little research on this as well..And came to the conclusion that mercury recoil tubes would be a better choice...Although I have not had this work done, LACK OF MONEY, and not to hijack the thread...Would like to hear from other about the pros and cons of having this done... THANKS!!

I had one put on my 300 win mag last summer, Why have recoil if you dont have to? It is quite a bit louder, but it took down the recoil considerably! without adding weight to the gun, which was a big deal to me on an already heavy gun. Ruger M77 stainless with laminate stock... Any and all magnum rifles I have from here on out will have one on, thinking about doing it on my 270 for my wife and kids also. My dad put one on his 30-06 BAR for my moms elk hunt last fall and it has less recoil than a 22. If you go hunting with me I will warn you once, then from there on out its your bad for standing by me lol!

My extra loud gun saved 2 peoples lives opening day of the deer hunt! They were very lost and came running over to me after I shot a coyote and my brother and I took them back to their vehicle.

4b1db2ac644136c4.jpg

I too have a Sendero 7mm but it is the ultra mag. I have a Barnes MuzzleBreak and love it. The recoil seems less than my 243. I always wear ear protection when just shooting. When pulling the trigger on a deer or elk, I don't and maybe it's the adrenaline but I don't notice the noise.
By the way, this is the most accurate gun I own. That includes Weatherby and Rugers.
MS

I bought a 300 ultramag RMEF edition about 9 years ago and convinced myself I wasn't going to brake it. I was pretty surprised the first time I shot it, and after five rounds in a t-shirt I had had enough. I still held off braking it though, and instead used a past pad, ear plugs and muffs, and did PLENTY of shooting. I finally got where I could totally relax, with no problem poping off a few rounds without a pad and still maintain accuracy. Still for me, more than about five - seven rounds (in a t-shirt) I really start feeling it, but I refuse to deal with noise of a brake. For me the key was to shoot it enough with a pad, and out in the field I don't even notice or think about the kick.

Don't do it you will regret it!!! I shoot a 300 weatherby mag and put a limbsaver on it and that doesn't hurt my ears...If you need a muzzle break on a 270 you need to take up bow hunting...I shoot both and wear hearing protection for both. If recoil is the issue buy a smaller caliber.. No shame there...

I put a thicker butt pad and brake on my 300 RUM. It kicks less than my 30-06. I've never shot it without hearing protection so I couldn't tell you how much louder it is than it was pre braked...

Some of these comments are comical. I have a brake on my Sendero 300RUM and I love it. Yes it is loud but I highly doubt you will hate the gun if you add a muzzlebrake. It turned mine into a gun that is fun to shoot instead of the opposite. If your huntin buddies are getting muzzle blast while you are hunting then you probably shouldnt be shooting wherever they are standing for that to happen. If you are behind the gun or any reasonable distance away from it, it is not bad. I wear ear protection while shooting but I have hunted without. In fact I took a bull in New Mexico with my buddies 30:378 and I didnt even notice the blast. Of course, adrenaline was kicked in..:)
If you are from Utah, Roger Birch did mine and I would recommend him to anyone. Good luck with your decision

muzzle brakes are awesome. I'd probably put one on a non magnum.

Look at the Vais muzzle brake. They port the gas out the tip of the barrel as well as out the side. This helps on the sound for bystanders.

I have a Remington Sendero in 300 RUM. I had a MagnaBrake put on the rifle before I ever fired the rifle. This brake is removable, thank God! I hunted 1 time with the brake on the rifle and no ear protection, I will never do that again.

On the plus side the rifle shoots exactly the same with the brake on or off, so I can use the brake at the range where I am making multiple shots. This keeps me from developing a flinch. Remove the brake when hunting where I usually fire one shot and don't feel the recoil. If I were to put a Brake on a rifle, I would make sure it is removable.

BT

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom