Muzzyloader Inconsistent--About Had It!!

bigtines

A couple days before muzzie season and not feeling real confident. 1hought I had my TC New Englander shooting pretty consistent and tried one more time last night. 1st shot missed the target and the next 2 wernt in the bulls. Kicked like a mule and bruises big time on my arm. Seems to load harder -was wondering if that might be the problem. Any suggestions? BT

"Kicked like a mule"

I don't know how anyone can shoot well with a recoil like that. I know some who can, but I am not one of them. I flinch if I am shooting a kicker. However, it was pretty cheap to purchase a SIMS recoil pad (I use a slipover, but they make some that screw in). Made all the difference in the world. Now I can shoot it many times without much perceived recoil. Try it, you will like it!

It could be lot of things other than flinching. If your gun is like mine, it will shoot from a totally clean barrel different than after that first shot, so I always foul the barrel before loading for the field. I first pop off a couple of caps to clean the oil out of the breech. Then I load about 20 grains of powder, point it toward the sky and pop a cap off. Then I run a spit patch followed by a clean patch (same as I do between each shot at the range) and then load for the field.

Kind of late to be tinkering with your load, but I would wonder if you would be better all around if you lightened the powder load. A lot of times you get better accuracy along with less recoil. My elk load this year is 80 grains of 777, still plenty of power.

txhunter58

venor, ergo sum (I hunt, therefore I am)

The thing is It didnt used to kick like that. I only use 80 grains of Pyro. Could it be Im not getting the bullet seated.

Short loading the bullet can increase the pressure and cause more recoil. I did it with my Omega when I first got it and was using Tripple Seven before I knew about the crud ring(the scope cut on my forehead is healing well) Make sure that the barrel is really clean and that you are not building up a deposit at the top of the powder charge. If you are using Pyrodex it is less likely to happen than with Tripple Seven but the comment that it is harder to load makes me think you might have some fouling there. Clean well and measure with your ramrod to make sure you are clean if you do not have a bore light. I got one of the ones that drop in the bore and it is great. When loading make sure to mark your ramrod on the first load so that all loads after than are bottomed to the same point.

"(the scope cut on my forehead is healing well)"

Don't know why but that made me lol. My scoped Eclipse Magnum knocked a sizable piece of flesh from the bridge of my nose and blacked both my eyes...

That was about five years ago--still not sure why that happened. Took me a couple years after to finally stop flinching when I pulled the trigger, but no such incidents since.

Muzzleloaders, gotta luv em.

TX Hunter 58, I hunted Colorado's unit 61 last week during the muzzle loader elk season. Four in our camp with two hunters connecting for their cow elk. I had my opportunity but had a good case of Mr. Buck Fever it turns out to be. The weather was hotter than usual during this time period. We talked via email before the season and I appreciate your correspondence. I used 90 grains of Triple 7 and a 425 grain Hornady Great Plains lead bullet. Did not fire off the weapon but enjoyed a good hunt anyway. My twin brother killed a cow that was walking broadside at the magic 100 yard distance and made a good shot on her. Thanks for your advice prior to the season. Sincerely, Cow Tag from southern Illinois.

Great cowtag! Had my chances in unit 42, but didn't connect either.

txhunter58

venor, ergo sum (I hunt, therefore I am)

I always shoot my gun to foul it. I actually load the bullet and all to foul. If your havin troubles loadin your gun switch bullets. Some bullets barley load in mine the first shot. Others laod great even after 5-6 shots. I like Blackbelts or Powerbelts(I think they are the same). Don't do you any good on a second or third shot if you can't seat the bullet.

I am using 777 right now. But might mess around with several other non-corrosive powders. I can foul my barrel with 777 and hunt the whole season with out a cleanin. No rust. After a fouling shot I will clean the area around the breach and the crown of the barrel. Without foulin the barrel my first shot is 6 inches higher and 3-4 inches to the right of my 2-9th shots.

Good luck

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom