My deer season over

alsatian

LAST EDITED ON Nov-29-04 AT 01:58PM (MST)[p]I came back yesterday from 9 days of hunting the Oklahoma deer season with my 14 year old son. I took a doe that field dressed 92 LBS opening morning. It was my son's first deer hunting trip, and he insisted that his first deer must be a buck so he got a buck only permit. I had a combination permit which allowed me to take both a doe and a buck. Neither of us saw a buck during the 9 days, so my son was skunked.

Opening morning, I placed my son and my niece at advantageous positions around a large pond that is known to draw deer. I climbed over the bowl of land that encloses the pond and sat on the far side of the hill, on the downward slope facing east, maybe 400 yards away. My niece saw a couple of does walk out of the woods to the edge of the pond about 30 yards away but missed her shot with a .30-30 Winchester 94 which, it turned out on later inspection, was missing the rear sight elevation ramp so who knows where that rifle was shooting! My son had fallen asleep and was quickly awakened by the rifle shot. About 5 minutes later a cautious doe walks out of the woods in front of me. She looks straight at me so I avert my eyes and freeze. When she drops her head to the ground, I begin to raise my gun. But she immediately raises her head and looks at me again. Again, I freeze and avert my eyes. We play this patty cake routine a couple of times -- maybe a total of 1 minute -- and she freaks out and runs forward. I raise my gun, think I see her in my scope, but figure I better not shoot. I am about 25 yards away from a deer trail that runs right against a fence at the edge of the property above a road. I'm thinking to myself that my spot is pretty poor, that the deer are forced to be very close to my spot and that consequently I'll have this problem of getting the gun on the deer every time. Woe is me! This was about 8:05 AM. About 9:15 AM another doe appears out of the woods from the opposite direction. This doe proceeds on her way with no particular caution. I am able to raise my gun to my shoulder and even adjust my right boot heel for firmer placement before I take my shot. She went down about 10 yards further up the trail. I hit her low, in front of her on-side front leg, but the bullet went through and broke her off-side front leg. I now wish I had hit her further back, behind the legs, because I lost considerable shoulder meat from both sides. I used a .243 100 grain Winchester Power Point cartridge. I suppose anything would do the job at the 25-30 yards of this shot. I drove my truck up to the road and had to carry her only about 10 yards!!!

In the middle of the nine days I placed my son in a clump of bushes beside a long grassy path -- looks like a road but is not -- that leads to the edge of a small pond back in the woods. The pond is about 75 yards away from the clump of bushes. The idea was to get a shot at deer using the grassy path in either direction and also deer going to or coming from the pond. Well, about 11 AM three does popped out of the woods where the pond is located and walked right up the grassy path to where my son was located. They walked calmly right past him and never nosed him, never bolted. He says he could have reached out and touched one of them. However, because of my son's "It has to be a buck!" philosophy, he had only a buck permit and could not shoot!

It was fun and the weather wasn't too bad. We had a couple of days of rain, but the temperatures were pretty moderate. I'm glad to not have to listen to the alarm clock going off at 4:30 AM any more though. I don't have any particularly pretty pictures to post so won't post what I have.

One point about my son being asleep opening morning, he was suffering from some sort of head cold that made him very sleepy. He would go to bed shortly after we got back from hunting in the evenings, not usual behavior for him. I caught some sort of bug myself that first gave me a very bad headache and then manifested itself by causing me to cough up thick green vile-tasting stuff from the back of my throat and also gave me laryngitis for three days. In my case I felt strong and energetic, just that I suffered with the cough and laryngitis.

41b4aede2ecd10cd.jpg

Here is a picture of my doe.

The native image is some 900 K, and Monster Muleys requires that files consume less than 100 K of memory. To reduce the size of the file I save it at about 4% of resolution. I'm not at all knowledgeable about manipulating digital images. I snap the picture with my Fuji S-5000 Fine pix digital camera. I download the image to my computer. I save it at 4% resolution (which still consumes +90 K of memory, by the way). The image is pixilated as hell, as you point out. And the image is much bigger than what everyone else posts.

Do you have any advice how to avoid the poor quality and excessive size of this picture? Do I need some sort of image processing software that everyone else uses to solve this problem?

Rather than changing the image resolution, you want to change the image size (dimensions). You can do that by opening the original file in Microsoft Photo Editor (or some other editing application) and reducing the dimensions (shown in either pixels or inches). If you reduce the dimensions to 640 x 480 or so, the rest should take care of itself and you should end up with a file size small enough to upload.

Good luck.

Here is the picture after reducing to 640x480 using MS Photo Shop. I'm not sure the pixillation problem is solved, but it is a more convenient size I think. My original image is 2048x1536 pixels and uses 24 bit true color.

41b601015feea3ca.jpg

I went back to the original image, opened the image file in MS Photo Shop, clicked on "IMAGE" and the "RESIZE" then selected pixels as the unit and then scaled it down. After this action I saved the file under a different name.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom