My Desert Ram hunt Video

dogdoc

LAST EDITED ON Jan-31-14 AT 08:59AM (MST) by Founder (admin)[p]Finally made a little video of my hunt. Sorry for some of the shaky footage. My thanks to the other hunter that was able to video my ram in the moments before I shot him, and then shared it with me. Great memories.
Doc

www.youtube.com/embed/bTymWatEeI0

Sweet it olmost looked as if you could of killed him with a bow?

hornkiller.jpg

I loved it!
Real hunting videos are my favorite. The "shaky" shows the excitement and emotions of the hunt IMHO.
Pretty darn cool trophy.
Congratulations again and thanks for sharing your success with us!
Zeke

Horn
You know, its funny. I practiced all summer at longer range shooting (300-500yds), and then I killed him at 75 yards. Before he went over the ridge, we could not see him. We knew he was there because we had spotted them from way below and watched them go over the ridge. We could see the 3 smaller rams that were with him. He was a good 75-100yards ahead of them, and the knob just hid him from our view. After he ran into the next canyon, he ended up stopping and gave me an unbelievable shot.
It was an anxious few minutes not being able to see him. We thought he may have given us the slip.

So was the guy taking the video hunting that ram? I was curious why he was taking pictures and not going after the ram himself. Perhaps he knew you were on top of him and he was not wanting to mess things up. Obviously if that is the case then big Kudos to him!

We had both seen the ram the day before. Opening morning I was able to see the ram very close to camp, and we began to follow him as he went up over the ridge. We were well onto the ram when they came up over the opposite hill. They watched the ram and were trying to decide whether they wanted to try and get closer or not (judging him, etc). They had him at 668 yards, pretty far. In the video without the music, you can hear the conversation between the two of them about the sheep. At about the 2 minute mark of the video, they noticed us and decided to keep filming and let it go at that point. Needless to say, after he was down they came over and looked at him. We took some quick measurements with them there, and they were pretty surprised/sick. I do have to say that they are very nice people, A+ all the way around. The kind of guys you want to hunt with. It was very nice of him to send me the video.

From our perspective we had seen these four rams earlier the day before (or two days before, not sure) but didn't have time to get good glass on them. We just knew that four MORE rams had been spotted so we were working our way through there glassing for any rams not just this ram headed some place else. I had 4 weeks to hunt and my partner Steve had the first 5 days and was coming back so we weren't in any hurry. We just dumbed onto Jed's ram about the same time we saw them so it was a no brainer to just sit and watch the fun go down. We had no idea they were on this ram until they showed up in the phone skope. And besides, he worked his butt off for this ram and deserves every inch in my book. Congrats again Jed and thanks for the video via email.

So NevedaMuleys,

How did your hunt end up? May we please see some pics of your ram?

I hope all ended well for you since it sounds like your crew were pretty stand-up guys! Congratulations on that fact.

Zeke

Kudos to Sir NevadaMuley!
Unfortunately, there are some hunters who would have opened up on that ram at over 600yds. Thankfully you are not one of them. Our sport is not a competition between each other. It is a quest between us and the animal. You are indeed a stand up guy to share the video footage.
I also totally understand you wanting to extend your time hunting with your friend. It is all about the experience and a few inches of horn one way or another shouldn't make any difference.
I too would love to see your ram!

I agree to the class act of Nevada Muley!!!!

I think we met you N Muley on the second cold day of the hunt..we were with Keith and The General and you were in the Ranger with a buddy near Lone....

Heard you got a dandy!!!!!

Ed

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom