My last photo, almost

ForkWest

Very Active Member
Here's what could have been the last four photos of me ever taken alive.

We've ran the Snake a lot in our little raft and never once had an issue even when people have fallen out.

However, this year the river was running 3 times higher than normal. Fast, cold and dirty with run off, not the best time to get bucked out!

I was sucked out in the absolute worst spot to go in. Pretty sure I used up one of my nine lives on this one. A couple times there I didn't know if I would ever surface for air in time. I was fighting for the surface with everything I had, to no avail. When I finally could get my face out of the water there was just enough time to get a half breath of water and sucked back under again.

Finally dumped out 200yards down stream of the big rapids, but was losing distance fast with the raft and had no energy left keep my head above. They finally got a rope to me while I was squeaking out desperate pleas for help. Drug me in like a dead rat. SCARED THE HELL OUT OF ME! Really thought this could have been it.

Probably the biggest contribution was that I was wearing my shitty neoprene ski vest. Come to find out it aint even close to being considered adequate under coast guard guidelines. Not anywhere near being buoyant enough for the conditions.

Live and learn, good memory now!

2179jake_overboard3.jpg

http://www.monstermuleys.info/photos/user_photos/4791jake_overboard4!.jpg

3093jake_overboard2.jpg

9906jake_overboard.jpg

Here's what could have been the last four photos of me ever taken alive.

We've ran the Snake a lot in our little raft and never once had an issue even when people have fallen out.

However, this year the river was running 3 times higher than normal. Fast, cold and dirty with run off, not the best time to get bucked out!

I was sucked out in the absolute worst spot to go in. Pretty sure I used up one of my nine lives on this one. A couple times there I didn't know if I would ever surface for air in time. I was fighting for the surface with everything I had, to no avail. When I finally could get my face out of the water there was just enough time to get a half breath of water and sucked back under again.

Finally dumped out 200yards down stream of the big rapids, but was losing distance fast with the raft and had no energy left keep my head above. They finally got a rope to me while I was squeaking out desperate pleas for help. Drug me in like a dead rat. SCARED THE HELL OUT OF ME! Really thought this could have been it.

Probably the biggest contribution was that I was wearing my shitty neoprene ski vest. Come to find out it aint even close to being considered adequate under coast guard guidelines. Not anywhere near being buoyant enough for the conditions.

Live and learn, good memory now!

2179jake_overboard3.jpg

http://www.monstermuleys.info/photos/user_photos/4791jake_overboard4!.jpg

3093jake_overboard2.jpg

9906jake_overboard.jpg

Kahuna through Lunch Counter? My wife had a similar experience being pushed down under in lunch counter after flipping the raft in Kahuna, she came up in the calm after lunch counter and scared to death. Next run, we flipped again and got the raft out before Lunch Counter.... Scary, glad your okay.

Kahuna through Lunch Counter? My wife had a similar experience being pushed down under in lunch counter after flipping the raft in Kahuna, she came up in the calm after lunch counter and scared to death. Next run, we flipped again and got the raft out before Lunch Counter.... Scary, glad your okay.

The river is so high this year, Kahuna is GONE! Nothing, totally flat. Lunch Counter on the other hand was ridiculous. Instead of one good bump like normal, there was a string of 5 monster waves. Dropping in to wave 1 was like falling off a cliff, waves 3,4 and 5 were the nasty ones flipping boats. Even the big 20 man commercial boats were flipping! For those who stayed upright, it was an awesome ride. For those like me who rode it from the underside, it was hell!

The river is so high this year, Kahuna is GONE! Nothing, totally flat. Lunch Counter on the other hand was ridiculous. Instead of one good bump like normal, there was a string of 5 monster waves. Dropping in to wave 1 was like falling off a cliff, waves 3,4 and 5 were the nasty ones flipping boats. Even the big 20 man commercial boats were flipping! For those who stayed upright, it was an awesome ride. For those like me who rode it from the underside, it was hell!

But isn't it a KICK!! Have you done the Gallatin? It is a BALL! Two dozen times more fun (and rapids) than anything on the Jackson portion of the Snake.

Within the shadows, go quietly.

But isn't it a KICK!! Have you done the Gallatin? It is a BALL! Two dozen times more fun (and rapids) than anything on the Jackson portion of the Snake.

Within the shadows, go quietly.

Sounds like you had a little luck on your side Fork. You don't want to depend on luck in water like that.:) Get a new PFD.

Eel

Sounds like you had a little luck on your side Fork. You don't want to depend on luck in water like that.:) Get a new PFD.

Eel

Glad you're ok. This year the river is no joke!!! It's high, fast, and freezing (as you found out). I commute the "canyon" every day and in the past two months I have seen search and rescue hittin' the water at least 10 times including today and have had 1 fatality. The problem this year has been primarily groups that float the river the same time each year. Because the flows have not dropped much yet this year compared to years past, it's causing big problems for the vacationers. The one fatality (that I'm aware of) this year happened on a commercial boat but a lot of the "guides" are seasonal and new to the area. Glad you're ok!

Glad you're ok. This year the river is no joke!!! It's high, fast, and freezing (as you found out). I commute the "canyon" every day and in the past two months I have seen search and rescue hittin' the water at least 10 times including today and have had 1 fatality. The problem this year has been primarily groups that float the river the same time each year. Because the flows have not dropped much yet this year compared to years past, it's causing big problems for the vacationers. The one fatality (that I'm aware of) this year happened on a commercial boat but a lot of the "guides" are seasonal and new to the area. Glad you're ok!

No thank you. I have an aversion to fast moving water so there's no way I would go rafting. Glad your OK.

Eldorado

No thank you. I have an aversion to fast moving water so there's no way I would go rafting. Glad your OK.

Eldorado

I had a similar experience. I had a friend take me kyaking a few times. I was getting pretty good, or so I thought. He took me on the Provo through the bridal veil falls section during high water and I got dumped. I was banged against rocks and drug and beaten. By the time I got to the bank I could only lay there and shake for about 10 minutes. It absolutely drained me. Scary, scary, scary. I haven't been since. Glad you made it out ok.

I had a similar experience. I had a friend take me kyaking a few times. I was getting pretty good, or so I thought. He took me on the Provo through the bridal veil falls section during high water and I got dumped. I was banged against rocks and drug and beaten. By the time I got to the bank I could only lay there and shake for about 10 minutes. It absolutely drained me. Scary, scary, scary. I haven't been since. Glad you made it out ok.

Forky on July 8 my buddy went out at lunch counter he said he was under for 45 seconds it scared the the hellp out of him.

Forky on July 8 my buddy went out at lunch counter he said he was under for 45 seconds it scared the the hellp out of him.

There are lots of things I want to do to enjoy life. Drowning is not one of them. It's like hunting, a big buck might win his fight for life many times, but when the hunter wins, game over. You can only die once. A death affects everyone, younger and older, that knows the person that died. If you have a family that you are responsible for, you have no business taking the kind of risks that is created by this year's high water. Some people are even taking their family for "thrills". This is not Lagoon. The river doesn't care.

There are lots of things I want to do to enjoy life. Drowning is not one of them. It's like hunting, a big buck might win his fight for life many times, but when the hunter wins, game over. You can only die once. A death affects everyone, younger and older, that knows the person that died. If you have a family that you are responsible for, you have no business taking the kind of risks that is created by this year's high water. Some people are even taking their family for "thrills". This is not Lagoon. The river doesn't care.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom