Mystery Ranch Packs

cabinfever

Very Active Member
Looking to try one of these packs out, but I'm unsure which one would be the best for the type of hunting I do. Looking at 5 day trips with 50 lbs of gear going in and 100+ lbs coming out. Looks like the crew cab or 6500 would do the job, but would love some advice from hunters who have used these packs for 5+ day trips.

thanks, Mike

One more thing!

Anyone use an eberlstock and than switched to a MR. I currently use an eberlstock. It has been a great pack. My only gripe is the main pack compartment does not fit as snug to my back as it should. If you have switched from an Eberlstock to a MR, I'd love to hear from you.

Mike

I've got an Eberlestock but haven't switched to MR so I won't be able to help you there. But, I will say that one thing to consider when judging the "fit" of the pack is that your body will stay cooler in warm temps when the pack doesn't sit right on your back. My X-1 also doesn't sit snug against my back and it's a pleasure compared to some of my cheaper packs which get hot as hell when using them in the early season.

my only issue is when you have 50+ lbs on your back your pack needs to fit as snug as possible against your back.

I got a MR Crew Cab and wouldn't trade it for anything. I deer hunt in Arkansas in a big swamp so I use the pack to help get them out of the woods. You won't really appreciate the effectiveness of the Crew Cab until you have carried a couple of loads with it. It makes carrying heavy loads much easier.
I like the idea of an Eberlestock with the rifle scabbard but the weight should be tight against your back so you should never have a rifle/scabbard between you and a heavy load like on the E-stock setups.
Mystery Ranch has a real good return policy so order one and send it back after you have tried it out around the yard with some weight on it. They offer that policy because nobody returns them. I can't say which MR pack is best but I like mine.
cold dead hands
NRA Life Member

I have been using MR packs for the last few years (2 previous years with the Crew Cab and this year with the Longbow). Your gear will dictate to some extent which pack you will be able to use. I was able to do multi-day bivy hunts with the CC and day pack lid and even pack out an additional 50 lbs of boned-out mule deer meat, with my gear, in one trip. The key here is I was using bivy type gear. If you need a lot of room for your gear, the 6500 would be the way to go.

I would recommend you give MR a call and talk with them about it. Their customer service is one of the best.

flyingbrass

you hit the nail on the head about the Eberlstocks. It took me a while to figure it out but the reason the EB's do not distribute weight well is due to the placement of the rifle scabbard and H20 compartment.Too much space between your back and the main compartment of the pack. My EB is one durable pack but until they fix that issue I will have to look at getting a MR.

I know I'm late to the party, but I'll chime in.

I had an eberlestock, as well as pretty much all the badlands packs. I hated the void in the eberlestock where the rifle sock was. Just couldn't get that thing cinched up to you, and it sounds like you felt the same thing.

I now have the MR crew cab and have used it for a few years now. It's a great pack. It cinches up tight, yet expands well for larger loads. It carries weight very well and makes packouts easy.

It does not have a lot of internal storage, however. The pockets can't take a lot of gear unless you open the pack up and put the stuff in the meat shelf area. Perfect for meat, not so great for lots of 'stuff'.

I'd highly recommend them with that in mind.

I'm also thinking about trying the eberlestock blue widow, as that pack does not have that "no mans land" space between the load and your back. I like the quietness of the eberlestock (MR is cordura and a bit noisier) and I also liked the internal storage better.

So far, MR is #1, but is not perfect.

I just bought mt 2nd Mystery ranch pack. I have the crew cab and love, but it is not as good for a long backpack style hunt so I got the Wolf-pack to try out in Alaska this next year.
Jay

I used to own an Eberlestock (Blue Widow) and switched to MR (I now own three Crew Cab, Behemoth, Kodiak) simply because of comfort when carrying a heavy load. I have used many packs (Badlands, Eberlestock,Crooked Horn, etc.) and I am a firm believer that packs are like boots - what feels good and works for one certainly doesn't work for everyone. Try as many packs as you can and find out what works for you. I believe I have found the packs that work for me with MR.

I have to chime in here. I have both the Crew Cab and the 6500 and I can tell you.....GET THE 6500! They are both awesome packs but the 6500 can do everything and more than the CC. It cinches down when you don't need the full thing but goes bigger than you would ever want to carry. This is a picture of my 6500 cinched down for a day pack (same size as the CC).

4b4ff1e46d9b5b9d.jpg

And this is my 6500 at 88 lbs of gear and bear.

4b4ff21a6e9cc6db.jpg

Once you have the 6500, you won't need the CC. Plus the 6500 loaded down feels about 15 lbs. lighter than the CC loaded with the same weight just because of how it rides.

Bman9900,

when you had the blue widow, did you feel any kind of void or open spot on your back like others have mentioned about the other eberlestock bags with the scabbard built in? Let me know your experience if you get a chance.

Thanks,

copple2

>I just bought mt 2nd Mystery
>ranch pack. I have the
>crew cab and love, but
>it is not as good
>for a long backpack style
>hunt so I got the
>Wolf-pack to try out in
>Alaska this next year.
>Jay
I used a Wolf Pack on a sheep hunt in Canada and it turned out to be a mistake. I couldn't get it cinched tight to my back. It would
pull against the front of my shoulders and have a gap at the top of my back which was very uncomfortable with a load. Just check it out at home to make sure it will fit you properly. Good Luck.

Jerad

chasendeer, it is the Kifaru Gunslinger that is holding my rifle. I LOVE it but I don't like to use it the way they recommend it be used. They have it putting the gun barrel out in front and I just felt like it was always in my way so I used the top strap of my pack to hold the barrel. I was still able to reach up to the clip for a quick access to my rifle. I would highly recommend one for any pack.

You went on a sheep hunt prior to making sure the pack you were using fit you??

I didn't know the proper way to fit a pack to your body. I thought it felt fine at home with some weight in the bottom of the pack but with a sheep head at the top of the pack is when I noticed how the pack didn't fit me right.

Jerad

No, the Blue Widow doesn't have the same void as some of the other Eby packs. I understand it was built for bowhunters, thus no spot to carry a rifle. I liked a lot about the pack, but with heavier loads the harness system pinched a little and wasn't nearly as substantial or comfortable as my MR packs.

I tried and purchased a MR 6500 at the Expo. The guys at MR were top notch. They properly matched me up to the right size frame and made all the necessary adjustments.They loaded about 50lbs on the pack and let me stand around for 15-20 minutes. I gotta tell ya..... it felt more like 30lbs. I'm very impressed with this pack.

Mike

Marley,

since you have to put everything inside of the 6500, how did the meat keep inside of your bag? Did your 6500 get super dirty from dripping, then dried blood? Is there dividers inside to separate your game from your gear? Sorry for all the questions, but I'm really considering this pack.

Thanks,

copple2

No dividers for meat but I always carry about 4 big black garbage bags to put meat in and then slide it all down inside the pack. I'm anal about getting blood on my stuff because of scent for the next hunt. Garbage bags are light weight and serve many purposes for me.

One more thing. I also have the meat hauler attachment for the NICE frame so if I know that I'm going to have to make two trips I will carry loose meat in my garbage bags one the first trip and change my pack at the truck to go back for the back legs. You wouldn't have to do this though I've put two elk legs in the pack at once if you didn't want to take the time to change the pack.

Also the 6500 detaches from the frame so if you needed to you could throw it in the wash.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom