N.E. Elk

I DID APPLY FOR THE SAME HUNT & DREW NOTHING. I UNDERSTAND IT CAN BE HIT & MISS LOCATING ELK........HOME WORK IS A BIG PLUS FOR THIS HUNT. I WOULD LOVE TO HEAR ABOUT YOUR ADVENTURE WHEN YOUR DONE, ELK & DEER NUMBERS I WOULD BE INTERESTED IN HEARING ABOUT AS WELL.

YOU MIGHT HAVE A FANTASTIC HUNT, GOOD LUCK..........YD.

Glad to see that somebody from here drew out!! I keep trying!! :)

Good luck on your hunt!

Joey

"It's all about knowing what your firearms practical limitations are and combining that with your own personal limitations!"

My cousin drew the tag, still lookin for a place to concentrate. First scouting trip produced a little sign, but no animals. Hopefully the next trip will be more successful. Too much area to cover for the time we have to scout. Good luck on your hunt.

Yep , it's a HUGE zone . Was up there last weekend scouting . Ran into a guy that has been up scouting 4-5 times , he hadn't seen an elk yet .Certainly not a slam dunk hunt for sure . Pretty cool to be hunting elk in California though . Looking forward to September .

SHEEPSHOOTER.......IS THE HUNT RIGHT IN THE MID RUT PERIOD, OR JUST CLOSE GIVE OR TAKE A FEW DAYS ??? I WOULD LOVE TO HAVE THAT TAG !!!! HUNT EM HARD.................YD.

I'll be up in the garden next week scouting antelope for a Jr hunt.
Will keep an eye out for bulls too.
Saw a heard of 50 elk in devils garden last year hunting antelope.

Hey Steve, The beauty of Sept. you'll be able to hear them. When is opening day? I think its gonna be awesome! Ill ask around and get some info. Tony

LAST EDITED ON Aug-06-12 AT 10:27PM (MST)[p]Keep your eyes peeled for a monster muley buck if you dont mind. We will do the same for the elk. Good luck guys!!! I hope to get a tag one day before the Libs shut off hunting in Kali!!

Season is Sept 12-23 .

The elk zone covers quite a few deer zones . I've seen a few ok bucks , nothing special . I also drew X3B , I know that area fairly well . If anyone needs help there for deer send me a pm .

Sheepshooter, Mark the spots in your GPS where you see the 12-18 inch forkys or small threes for YukonDall:) Got your PM YD. Sheepy supposedly there is some elk in the Warners. I dont know more than that info?? Good luck on your 3B tag!!!

FORKS & SMALL 3'S COME ON LOL !!! I DO HOPE TO HAVE THAT ELK & DEER TAG IN THE NEXT COUPLE YEARS. HOPE YOU FELLAS POP SOME GOOD BULLS & BUCKS............GOOD LUCK...........YD.

Between C and F and approx 2+ miles to the west is a bull in the timber that will knock your socks off...guaranteed!

Spend one day scouting around Pondosa. Several 390+ have come from that area in the last 5 years.

NE elk is probably the best trophy elk area in the country if that barometer is the percentage of bulls killed that score over 350. Every year, between the 17-20 tags, there is a bull or 2 killed close to 400". But the elk are scattered, not concentrated. Your bull of a lifetime lives there, you just gotta find him.

OK, guys, its time to help a buddy out. I was going to go scouting with my buddy who drew the NE archery tag, and he couldn't go this weekend. He is a sheriff's detective in the county where I live, and he just got promoted, but that promotion put him back on patrol and he's now working graveyard shift. He couldn't go scouting and with his schedule will now be going into this hunt blind. I'm already making calls to guys I know who have knowledge of the area, but any help you guys can give me will be greatly appreciated.

Please, if you have any information that may be of help, PM it to me. One MM'er already has and I appreciate that greatly. It looks like I'm going to be doing most of the phone scouting for him, and now that I know he's going in cold turkey, I guess I'm going to be taking some time off to go help him on his hunt to.

He's never killed a big bull, he knows its a good tag, and while he is thrilled with his new job responsibilities, he told me "This promotion couldn't have come at a worse time for my elk hunt".

Your buddy should have an info packet from DFG. I'm sure he has , but if your buddy hasn't , call Richard / Joe . Really good guys that have been very helpful . The few archery guys that I have talked to are hunting in the Devils Garden .

Send me a pm if you'd like any more info .

LAST EDITED ON Aug-20-12 AT 10:00PM (MST)[p]Just got home from the antelope trip in devils garden.
Sorry ,all we saw were Antelope, deer, coyotes and badgers.
No elk this year...

I have scouted 6 days up there so far and covered 250 miles trying to cut tracks (deer) and have yet to see the elk. I have seen elk tracks,fresh shiz and where they have come out of water holes recent to our arrival. Saw a 24 in 4 pt, a forky, 3 does and a few other deer undetermined of sex. Also saw a dandy buck lope and a heard of 12+ with a decent buck lope in it. Headed back up this weekend for another run. That tag is tough, deer and for you elk hunters. Good luck!!

After talking to you yesterday,.sounds like you got a plan,...be sure and pay attention where you pass up those 370-380's...i'll need to know for next year,lol,.. you lucky dog.
Mike

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

California Guides & Outfitters

Western Wildlife Adventures

Offering some fine Blacktail Deer hunting, Wild Pig hunts, Turkey hunts and Waterfowl hunts.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer the top private land hunts in all of California, for blacktail deer, elk, pigs, bison and turkeys.

G & J Outdoors

Offering Tule elk hunts for bulls and cows on a 17,000 acre Ranch in Laytonville, CA with 100% success.

Back
Top Bottom