Name Your Price.

O

ohiohntr

Tonight I was talking to my neighbor who shot a monster 4x4 whitetail last year. (Gross score ~175)
46b54ecb1f0387a5.jpg

46b54eec1f56e7f4.jpg

It's a deer that I watched and filmed for much of last summer.

He was telling me that some antler buyer/collector recently offered him $2500 for the rack. He mentioned he was thinking of selling it to help with school costs.

I have a large muley mount that I shot many years ago, and don't think there is any amount I would take for it. Every time I look at it, I'm back on the mountain enjoying the hunt again.

For those who have shot animals of this caliber whether it be deer, elk, moose, or whatever, is there a price that you would sell for? I guess it wouldn't even have to be a large animal, but any prized trophy.

I don't have anything that anyone would offer to buy, but if I did, the price would be a lot higher than $2500.

I just happen to own a top 100 all time B&C Typical Muley that I have been offered money for, but I don't believe I would sell for anything less than paying off my house. It was killed by my Dads favorite Uncle a very long time ago, and I found it and had it remounted with a new cape and all.....

:( Somebody didn't like bouncing betty :(

I'd sell any of my whittail mts for that although none quite make 175. Even though the area I hunt is about a 50-50 split whittails to mulies I usually try to take a muley. I just think my whittail mts. are ugly. My good mulies no way.

Nope.....Thats just another way were loosing touch with our true hunting heritage. I remember growing up and just being in awe of my granfathers tropys from the 30's and 40's and so on (he's 83 and were headed to Co in the fall). The other day he asked me if I had a place for them since he was selling his buisness and did'nt have room for the 5 mulies, 3 elk, 1 mountain lion at home and if I would take them since none of the other 16 grandchildren have any interest. You know what I said....with the few mounts I already it makes a pretty impresive collection. But thats not the point, It's about me being able to tell my grandchildren the stories that my grandfather told me when I was a boy, And being able to give the true gift of MY FAMILIES true hunting heritage to my children and grandchildren. Anyone who sells their tropys(memories & heritage), Well it was'nt that important to them in the first place. Who cares, 200 inch....2000inch. Its not helping us pass it on to our children and thats the most important responsibility as hunter today.

I also think whities are not very good looking! I would have taken the $2500.00!
rm

I have 2 mounted mulies. I'd sell either one of them for $2500. They are cooland all, but cash talks.

I wouldn't sell any of mine because I live in Kali and it's illegal to sell any parts of wildlife. But if I could I might sell a rack for $2500.

Eel

Never sell none of mine. But the sport of hunting is worth more than money. Its not about taking a state or world record and selling it. Thats why most poaching goes on is because the money people pay for horns. If it was illegal to sell horns then why would there be poaching. I personally think they should do away with the selling of horns. Would stop alot of trophy animals being killed.
Just my thoughts on this.

fca2e9e9.jpg

Yup......Tradition and Heritage are on the way out. Getting your picture in a magazine and showing off some animal YOU DID'NT KILL are more important. I'm only 28 but I'm kinda partial to the older ways.....The way's my grandfather taught me and the way I'll pass it on to my children and grandchildren. Man this thread really got me worked up, I feel like goin out and smashing some lazy hunters trail-cam!!! Just kidding....But it has crossed my mind!

LAST EDITED ON Aug-06-07 AT 07:22AM (MST)[p]Tell your buddy to look in a B&C book and count the number of bucks that make all time as a 4point and then let him decide... Not only is it a big buck but its an extremely rare one at that.

If he sells it he will regret it! Selling a 175gross archery buck? JC... he's crazy

Take out a friggn loan or work an extra job. $2500 is not that much money.

Is it just me or is there a stainless steel tag around that bucks left antler? As for selling any of mine...no way. Even my little Cali forkies are trophies in one way or another to me.

LAST EDITED ON Aug-06-07 AT 09:48AM (MST)[p]>Is it just me or is
>there a stainless steel tag
> around that bucks left
>antler? As for selling any
>of mine...no way. Even my
>little Cali forkies are trophies
>in one way or another
>to me.

That's a locking metal tag. Some states still use them, as did AZ back in the 1960s and early 1970s. I have my first Kaibab mule deer killed in 1962 mounted with the tag still affixed. You can see it on the right antler of the deer between the whitetail and caribou in the pix below. -TONY

TrophyR7.jpg

LAST EDITED ON Aug-06-07 AT 11:13AM (MST)[p]Yes, it is a metal tag. In Ohio, when a deer is killed, the hunter attaches a paper tag in the field. All deer must then be taken to a check station and a permenant metal tag is attached. They also get all the age data as well, to help plan future seasons. I guess it is good to somewhat limit selling or mounting poached deer. A taxidermist here won't touch a deer without a metal tag. If a warden sees a big rack going around without a metal tag, the person better have a good story and proof of the buck being legal.

I don't know if it makes me part of the problem, but I told my friend if he must sell it, to talk to me first. I spent many hours the summer before filming this buck and scouting him hoping to see him during season. I told him if he must get rid of it, I'd rather see it go to someone that has somewhat of a personal interest in it, rather than a collector trying to make a fast buck. I strongly encouraged him to keep it though as I think he would regret later in life letting it go.

About making a reproduction and then selling, wouldn't you lose most of your money paying for the reproduction cost?

It would take at least 10K cash to even interest me into thinking about selling any of my mounts. I have been offered a few thousand for a couple of them for lodges/cabins but no dice.

I think you're on the right track offering to buy the head if you can afford it, instead of letting it go to some dealer. Then, when he realizes he shouldn't have sold it, he'll know where to go to find it. In the mean time, you can have a reminder of a great buck that you had a personal story about.

I've bought and sold antlers for alot of years, but there are a few that I sorely miss and wish I could get back.

Make a replica part of the deal. The buyer has a replica done for the hunter that took the deer. If the buyer is not willing then he doesn't want it that badly... I personally would not sell.. I have my grandad's Muley buck taken back in 1936 out of the Big Bend region of Texas. It goes to my daughter when I am gone. Something about tradition and family heritage that I cannot part with.

I recently got offered a substantial amount of money for my B&C typical mule deer (top 100 all time) as well as them sending me the replica matched to my specs (matching the antler color near exact). I don't see much wrong with that.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom