NE Cali Scorer?

sageadvice

Long Time Member
If things go as planned, i'll be scoring my friends 190+ net typical muley this Saturday evening before our every other week poker game in his really nice home. I don't know that the buck will net over 190" but i've long suspected that he will. My friend has not been at all well but being that i brought the potential of this huge typical to his attention, he is very interested to find out one way or the other if it will Book.

Was wondering by chance if any official scorer would rather do the taping than myself? We're in Chester, Ca. Thanks,

I'll see if i can get some pic's to post.

Joey

"It's all about knowing what your firearms practical limitations are and combining that with your own personal limitations!"

I know it's a long way for you to travel but there will be official scorers at the Siskiyou Sportsmans Expo in Yreka on March 17th and 18th. They will be scoring animals for free.

Well, that gives us options should he add up like i think he's gonna! Thanks Sisqhunter for the heads up!!

Joey

"It's all about knowing what your firearms practical limitations are and combining that with your own personal limitations!"

Have you looked on the B&C or P&Y web sites? They have a list of all of their official scorers, their hometown and phone numbers. There might be one near you. Is this a California buck?

HAddict, No, not yet anyway but a great idea, Thanks!

I believe it's a Idaho buck from the 70's It's about 28-29", i'm guessing, outside, real tall with all long tines, very few deductions, and no abnormal points. He's had it hanging over his inside entry way to his house. This guy has hunted a lot of game in a lot of places in north America and Canada. All the different deer, moose, elk, sheep, wolves, you name it, he has hunted it.

Not so funny but he claims his first wife left him because he was always gone and the money those sheep trips cost. He hasn't hunted in years but of all the super nice heads in his home, this Muley buck stands out, to me, as his outstanding trophy. He has no idea what it will score, it's time to put a tape to it. Thanks again,

Joey

Joey; There is a Sportsman Expo in Chico this April 14 & 15. You can research it under Chico sportsman Expo or "The North State Sportsman Expo" and maybe find out of they will have official B & C scorers there. I do know there will be outfitters there trying to sign up hunting and fishing clients. If so, not that far of a drive for you.

RELH

RELH, I've not been to that show yet but have a couple friends that buy and sell old fishing stuff there every year. Gonna have to attend one year soon! Thanks for the tip!!

I'll know a lot more about this buck once i rough score it Sat evening. I'm still hoping the buck is what i think it is.

Joey

Thanks Brian, i'm going to rough score the buck myself. Way back when, the guys returning from outa state trips with their bucks would call and i'd go score their bucks for them. I never said that i could get them scored on the nose but on a typical like this one or a non-typ where things were fairly cut and dry, i could give assurances that my rough score would be within 2" one way or another. For right now, there are no official scorers close by, this will do and if he's over the 190 net as i suspect, i'll leave the option to him as what the next steps will be. Thanks again for the link,

I'm still hoping to get some pic's to post of this buck. Maybe the Mrs. has a camera and can email me the pic's so i can get them up. He's a good one!!

Joey

Joey, did you notice if Dan Mckenna is back in town? I thought he was a OM at one time. I could be mistaken however.

Eel

Steve, he is not on the list. Closest ones look like either in Redding or Oroville. Check out the 3rd person on the list, but that is way down south.

Brian
http://i25.tinypic.com/fxbjgy.jpg[/IMG]

I do know Dan is back. And he's turning animals around like crazy.

He picked up my "09" Nevada bull in 12/09. I got it back 9/11. I was pi$$ed. Would not have said a good thing about him EXCEPT the work was exceptional.

This year guys are getting their animals back in 2-3 months or less.

He showed me photos of some game rooms he did for guys in Sacto. Apparently he was so tied up doing full body mounts for rich guys, he didn't have time for the little guy. But he is in business and I'm sure they paid better.

Bottom line is
1) I stole Joey's thread.
2) This is the time to get Dan to do your work.

Not sure if he's an official scorer which is what Joey is looking for but he sure knows big game.

Califelkslayer, I heard Dan was moving back to Chester area last month (January) but haven't heard if it happened or not.

LAST EDITED ON Feb-26-12 AT 02:07AM (MST)[p]My buddies buck didn't make it. I felt it would the whole time i was scoring it right up until i added up the deductions and still thought it had a chance.

Buck killed near Dillon Montana 1978

Some of the nice things of this rack;
Both main beams were 25 4/8
Both g-2's were over 18"
None of the G-3's or 4's were under 10"
18+" mass per side
32 4/8" outside sp
22 4/8 inside sp
Most all the points were well bladed
Total gross score 198 3/8
total net score 186 7/8

He had three abnormal points for -5 3/8

Hella buck, just had a few too many small deductions.

I won $50. even in the poker game!

I took pic's with my disposable, i'll try and get them developed.

Joey

Sorry to hear about your gambling habit, Joey! There are programs out there for that. Full Tilt Poker comes to mind! :)

Sounds like a sweet buck Joey! With all the goods listed it sounds like a sure thing but that is the flaw in the scoring systems and net scores. There are bucks that make it that would pale in most hunters eyes compared to the buck you describe, can't wait for pics!

P.S. I don't wanna sound anti record book with my post so will say I think they are great and honor the animals they score well it's just not perfect as with anything.

Now let's get some pics, Joey!

Bill

Kill the buck that makes YOU happy!

Thanks guys! Those abnormal points were not counted in the 198 3/8 gross typical score so the way some score a deer and adding those points, this clearly is a 200+" buck. I knew that he was huge, i just didn't see the small deductions side to side, keeping him out of the book.

This was fun to do again. I have kept a binder of all the game that i have scored though most of it was years ago. I can think of 3, now 4, muley bucks that i taped that were really close to netting the B&C minimum but none have yet made it. Goes to show just how tuff it is to have a buck officially net "Book"

Joey

>LAST EDITED ON Feb-26-12
>AT 02:07?AM (MST)

>
>My buddies buck didn't make it.
>I felt it would the
>whole time i was scoring
>it right up until i
>added up the deductions and
>still thought it had a
>chance.
>
>Buck killed near Dillon Montana 1978
>
>
>Some of the nice things of
>this rack;
>Both main beams were 25 4/8
>
>Both g-2's were over 18"
>None of the G-3's or 4's
>were under 10"
>18+" mass per side
>32 4/8" outside sp
>22 4/8 inside sp
>Most all the points were well
>bladed
>Total gross score 198 3/8
>total net score 186 7/8
>
>He had three abnormal points for
>-5 3/8
>
>Hella buck, just had a few
>too many small deductions.
>
>I won $50. even in the
>poker game!
>
>I took pic's with my disposable,
>i'll try and get them
>developed.
>
>Joey
>
>
>"It's all about knowing what your
>firearms practical limitations are and
>combining that with your own
>personal limitations!"

Disposable? Did you add up the score on an abacus?

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

California Guides & Outfitters

Western Wildlife Adventures

Offering some fine Blacktail Deer hunting, Wild Pig hunts, Turkey hunts and Waterfowl hunts.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer the top private land hunts in all of California, for blacktail deer, elk, pigs, bison and turkeys.

G & J Outdoors

Offering Tule elk hunts for bulls and cows on a 17,000 acre Ranch in Laytonville, CA with 100% success.

Back
Top Bottom