Neck turning

Thunderclapper

Is a clean up cut(50% contact) more of a headache than its worth for a hunting rifle? If not, do you resize after turning? Has anyone see much of a possitive result?

"Is a clean up cut(50% contact) more of a headache than its worth for a hunting rifle?"

Yes, especially with a factory rifle... JMHO

However, If you just look at it as another part of the hobby of reloading and have nothing better to do I say go for it.

horsepoop.gif

Disclaimer:
The poster does not take any responsibility for any hurt or bad feelings. Reading threads poses inherent risks. The poster would like to remind readers to make sure they have a functional sense of humor before they visit any discussion board.

i don't think it is either. i have tried all the ways to " trick out " my brass. i find hand weighing every load down to a single kernel of powder works the best for me... but i don't know it all so ??

no i gave it up. couldn't tell a difference. it looks cooler like you are a reloading pro or something . but i saw do difference on my targets.

Thunder I was in the same boat as you. I decided it was a good idea. It does help make everything more consistent and that IMO helps accuracy. I know its just a hunting rifle but I like my ammo to be as accurate as possible. Depending on the brand of brass you will see some necks that are very uneven in terms of thickness. Actually had a buddy test the theory in a few calibers and we found most groups shrunk with a neck turned case.

Thunderclapper,
Here is a post from a few years ago where I asked the same question and done some experimenting. My test says it does help. It for sure can't hurt(as long as you don't cut off too much). It is very time consuming though. I've started buying better brass ie Nosler, Norma, Lapua In lieu of Remington or Winchester and trying to eliminate the neck turning just because it is so time consuming. IMO you'll need to take a light cut almost all the way around though to uniform the necks, only a half way around cut won't hardly do it. Here's the link to the old post
http://www.monstermuleys.info/cgi-b..._thread&om=1407&forum=DCForumID22&archive=yes

Cahunter and Complete, thanks for the info it seems we share similar opinions.

Complete, thanks for the thread link. I did a search first but for some reason it didn't show up on the results.

LAST EDITED ON Feb-13-11 AT 05:03PM (MST)[p]I neck turn my brass. I go farther than 50% cleanup though, I go at least 80% cleanup. I mount the case holder in my lathe and hold the trimmer in my hand. With the lathe at the slowest speed, it goes quick. I can NT a case in about 10 seconds.

I have found that after I NT the brass my accuracy is better. I had a bunch of cases with large weight deltas. Sorting them was a pain. After I NT the brass, they were all within .2 gr. I NT .22, .24, .25, .30 calibers so far. Once I get a mandrel for .338" they will get done also. I found the neck tension is much more uniform when everything is equal.

Is there much difference at 100-200 yards? Not enough to make it worth while, but at 600+ it does make a difference.

Throw in annealing and then neck size the brass and it's ready to rock.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom