Need Advice and Counsel on Unit 14 Elk

clearwater150

I could use some hints on where to hunt antlered elk in Unit 14. Here's why. My son-in-law, an avid outdoorsman, is seriously ill. He has been bedridden for the past three years. In some ways, this has been a blessing for me as I have had the privilege of mentoring my grandson, 13, through his first hunting years, including hunter safety, firearm use, and deer and elk hunting. He has hunted and taken deer for two years and last year, I had him put in for a cow tag and he harvested his first elk (after 5 days of hunting) in Unit 14 (December hunt). However, this year he wishes to hunt for a bull....and I, being primarily a bow hunter, have never hunted Unit 14. Unit 14 is located centrally between my grandson's home in Fruitland, and my home here in Northern Idaho....so it is a good meeting place. Also, since we hunted cows there last year, and were able to observe quite a few on winter range, the area seems to have a fair elk population. So....If anyone would be so kind, we could use some good info on Unit 14. We camp near where we hunt and hunt by foot. There would only be three at most hunting together. I do have an ATV if that is important. I normally do not use an ATV relying on "shanks mare" to get into the backcountry. I do plan on scouting this summer, which usually means three or four days hiking away from roads into likely looking elk country....but it is big country....and it would be good to have a good spot(s) to begin my scouting. Thanks.

So sorry to hear about you son in law. Never hunted the area, so I have no information.

Sounds like your grandson is going to be very good hunter. Great to hear, that you are

getting to spend quality time with him, at a important age in his life. Good Luck.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Idaho Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Bearpaw Outfitters

Idaho Deer & Elk Allocation Tags, Plus Bear, Bison, Lion, Moose, Turkey and Montana Prairie Dogs.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, whitetail, bear, lion and wolf hunts and spend hundreds of hours scouting.

Jokers Wild Outdoors

Trophy elk, whitetail, mule deer, antelope, bear and moose hunts. 35k acres of private land.

Back
Top Bottom