Need Best Rest Info 4 Hunting!!!

Blackknight

I have tried the prongs and they froze on me one time. I switch to a whisker and Im ready for something else because Im experiencing problems now. So please give my you best Ideas for a new arrow rest for hunting with the best consistancy. Thank you all!!!

What problems are you experiencing? Might help us better identify a rest that will work for your needs.

BOHNTR )))---------->

Well, I have tried the prong set up. One year I had a buck at twenty-two yards and it was snowing. I had my finger on the arrow while waited for the right time to shoot. This buck was following a doe in heat and I was waiting for him to pass by a tree to draw. Well, he finally did and my prongs were froze downward and I missed. I didnt realize it at the time but all along while holding my arrow and the prongs tightly downward it stayed there. I was pissed. So I said I need something that stays in place and I dont have to worry about my arrow falling off the rest. So I switched to a whisker. Its ok and all but my fletching take a beating and Im not getting good flight patterns.

I'll tell you up front that I am no expert on the subject. I'm a begginner archer and all I've used is the fork rest that came with my bow. But in my opinion, a high qaulity drop-away rest of some kind is the best. That's what I want to get anyway.

I'm presently using a Trophy Taker shaky hunter, a Limb Driver by vapor trail, and a QAD LD. Fou hunting, I'm particularly fond of the QAD LD--it's easy to install and tunes quickly. I've had good luck with the trophy takers (had 3) and I'm really high on the Limbdriver. It gives more support than any other drop away I've used. I glue an arrow holder in from of the TT and Limbdrivers that holds an arrow in place well enough to hold the bow upside down yet drawing bow quietly lifts the arrow out of the holder. This containment method is not as sure as the QAD (or the wisker buscuit which I've also used) but is more than adequate,even for spot and talk hunting. I've shot with fingers, the wisker buscuit and several brands of drop aways. I can't imagine hunting with anything but a drop away.

I would go with a drop away rest for hunting. The trophy taker or one of the other brands will work fine to.

The NAP quicktune 4000 has been a sure fire no problem fall away for me. Dang thing is solid! I have used the same one since they came out. I am still on the fence about the TT. I am putting a TT on my new set-up. I won't report on it, good or bad, till I try it out for awhile.

"The rich....who are content to buy what they have not the skill to get by their own exertions, are the real enemies of game".........Teddy Roosevelt

LAST EDITED ON Mar-27-07 AT 11:36PM (MST)[p]I would recomend the Rip Cord, its a great drop away rest. A bit on the pricey side, but its top of the line for sure. On feature I realy like is you can lock the forks in the up positon or just draw back and the forks with rise by themself. In the up position it keeps the arrow self contained within the forks. When showing it to customers at the shop I will grab a bow nock a arrow, then flip the forks up with my thumb then turn the bow upside down while shaking the bow trying to make the arrow fall out. After that I don't have to say a thing becuse the rest has just sold itself. In addition to having them on my own bows we do sell a lot in our shop. Here is there web site if you so wish to check them out. Its one of the best drop aways on the marker IMO.

http://www.ripcordarrowrest.com/

For 3D, spots, target, etc. a drop away or a blade rest is by far the best. But when it comes to hunting the K.I.S.S. rule is pretty effective. Drop aways do fail, whether it is due to the cord getting caught on something and breaking, freezing due do cold, rain, or snow and not lifting or dropping at the shot, etc.
The WB effects accuracy only a slight amount, guys have shot 300 60X in 5 spot with the WB, and you only loose 3-5fps. Like I said early, the WB is the best HUNTING rest IMHO. :)

Lien2

I have a NAP Quick Tune 4000 on my back-up Bow and a Drop Zone on my Switchback(Both fall a-ways).I have beat the dog crap out of both of them hunting in a foot of snow and never had a failure!!! Good Luck

I use a WB and had some problems with vanes also. Switched to 2 inch Blazer vanes- no more problems. And my arrows seem to fly better, more accurate.

for hunting the whisker b. is hard to beet. when i'm chasing bulls in the timber and need to make the quick shot, last thing I want to do is look down to check my arrow position. I do have and tried the drop zone and tt pronghorn, but felt more comfortable with the whisker. being comfortable and confedant with your rest with no second guessing is more important than having the newest rest on the market..first morning out last year I shot a p&y bull at 49 yards, with no problem from the whisker b.

I also would stick with the WB. Ive used many diffrent rests and the Wb is the best hunting rest ive shot. I also had trouble with fleching and found cockvane up is a must. they also make a waterproofer in case the weather is causing your problems.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom