Need help deciding on a new Rifle

blacktailer

I am going to buy a new rifle in the 300 WSM and have it narrowed down to either the:

Remington model 700 RMEF XCR in 300WSM or a
Kimber Montana 8400 in the same caliber

Just hoping that someone out there has some experience with either or possibly both and could offer an opinion. Thanks!!!

Comparing a Kimber to a Remington is like comparing a Mercedes Benz to a Hundai.

Always buy the best you can afford, even if it takes a while on layaway!!

Skull Krazy
"No Bones About It"

Anything with a 7MM is a great rifle, I have one and love it. I also own a 300 WSM and it is also a very very nice caliber. Either or in my opinion.

....Better yet, save your money and buy a bow!

Timberline

I shoot a Tikka t3 300 wsm. I like it. My hunting partner got kimber, I was very impressed with that gun. He also has rems, so maybe he'll stop by and post his thoughts. I'd take that kimber hands down!

Before i get myself into TOO much trouble, i myself own a couple Remingtons and they are great rifles no doubt....but if you have a chance at a Kimber...go for it, you won't be disappointed i'm sure.

Personally im a huge Weatherby fan. 300wby for me!! :)

Skull Krazy
"No Bones About It"

I have been shooting a Remington model 700 in the 7mm for the past 20 years. Best and pretty much only big game rifle I use so I definately like the Remingtons but want to get something in a synthetic stock and in stainless. I've heard a bit about Kimber and the quality of guns that they are. The price difference between the 2 from what I have found is less than $150.00 so, to me, the price is a non-issue for a gun I plan to use for a long time. Regarding a previous post, I can't remember the last time I saw a new Hyundai within $150 of a Mercedes. Not trying to be a wise guy but was wondering if the Kimber Montana 8400 is a low end model and that is why it is in the same ballpark, pricewise, as the Rem. XCR RMEF??? Thanks

I have the Kimber Montana in a 300WSM and I won the Remington RMEF XCR in a 300 ultra Mag, and to me it is not even close, go with the Kimber. I didn't think that the Rem. was that expensive(within $150.00) of the Kimber, but I guess things change in two years.

CABugle

That 300wsm seemed to cause more problems feeding than any other round i have owned, got rid of mine and went back to my old 300wm

Tikka T3 Lite, best rifle for the money IMHO.

Welcome to MM!

horsepoop.gif

LAST EDITED ON Dec-13-07 AT 09:06PM (MST)[p]blacktailer-

If you are getting a Kimber 8400 in 300wsm for within $150 of a Remington, your stealing it and better jump all over it!

I just looked on the web at atleast 7 Kimber 8400's in 300wsm and there's not a one for under a grand, and most were well over that!

So if a Remington is costing around $900 these days, i'm going to take up playing horse shoes!!

So in a nutshell, if you can get a K8400 for around $800....it's a no brainer dude!!

Skull Krazy
"No Bones About It"

Skull Krazy. I knew after I posted, that the Hyundai/Mercedes comment came out wrong. Only thing I was gettin gat is that I too found several of the Kimber 8400's in the $1000-$1,150 range and several of the Remington XCR's in the RMEF edition in both the Ultra Mag (which is the newest model) and a coule of last years model (the 300WSM) in the $950-$1000 range. You're right; probably too much for a remington but just wanted to make sure that the Kimber 8400 wasn't a cheaper model and one to stay away from. Sounds like Kimber is the way to go. I thank you all for the input!!!

No harm done blacktailer, i just like to see a guy get a better bang for his hard earned buck (no pun intended!).

Remington's are good rifles, but the Kimber will have more "custom" fit and feel to it than a mass produced rifle.

I did look up the RMEF Rem's, they are a bit more than a plain old 700, but i don't think it's a performance upgrade, just purely cosmetic.

If it were me though, i'd take a long hard look at the 300 Ultra in that Kimber over the WSM. Just like someone said in a previous reply, the wsm's don't feed as smoothly as a win mag, yet the ballistics are almost identicle in the two.

Good luck in whatever you decide blacktailer, and keep us updated on how it performs when you decide to get it! :)

Skull Krazy
"No Bones About It"

If you do not mind the exta$$ but the Kimber
you will not regret it.

THE LORD IS MY ROCK
NRA LIFE MEMBER
HUNTING PASS IT ON

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom