Need help picking broadhead

Bikes

I have always shot expandibles and killed many deer and a cow and spike elk but now I have a Utah LE bull elk tag and feel I may be wise to go to a good broadhead. Can you recommend one that cuts well and flies closest to field points? What target base do you rec.? THANKS

I just got back from a canada black bear hunt where I shot 2 bears with a Montec by G5. Actually shot both bears with the same broadhead, still razor sharp. Don't know if that helps but I know I'll be shooting Montecs for a long time.

Just an Opinion, but I use shuttle t's by tight point, and I love them. They fly straight, even out to 80 yards. I have killed a couple of antelope with them, and they left a huge exit hole. Good luck with your elk hunt.

Go down to the bottem of the Archery page and look at the thread "Broadheads for elk".
Lots of good stuff there.

I would definitely recommend the G5 Striker. I was wondering myself which broadhead I should use because I drew a LE bull tag this year in Utah. I watched a few broadhead test vidoes. Then I went to the archery shop and the guys there said its and excellent broadhead. I tested the striker and it flies great. I shot it at 50 yards today and flew very well. another that looked good was the slick trick. Watch this video on youtube called Broadhead test its got some good footage and might help you make a decision.

What was wrong with your expandable heads? Sounds like they worked ok to me. Expandables kill animals, lots of animals. And they penetrate and cut big, nasty holes which lead to big, nasty blood trails and eventually to said dead animals.

expandables are good, but if you are looking for something new, go with the strikers. They fly awesome!

" What was wrong with your expandable heads? Sounds like they worked ok to me. Expandables kill animals, lots of animals. And they penetrate and cut big, nasty holes which lead to big, nasty blood trails and eventually to said dead animals. "

Back in the Game: I have used different expandibles but out of about 20 deer, I can only remember 2 pass threws. I have also had blades bent on ribs. With arrows plugging the hole and no exit wounds, blood trails are light. I shoot a Browning Mirage at 60# and can't remember any hits beyond 30 yards. In fact most of my kills have been 18 to 25 yards. I just don't trust them on a big bull on a probable once in a lifetime hunt. Last years spike elk only pentrated about 8".

LAST EDITED ON Jun-10-08 AT 08:54AM (MST)[p]If you want an awesome expandable look at the G5 Tekan II. I am currently using this for elk. I am 2 for 2 on complete pass throughs with this head. It has a cut on contact head, which to me makes all the difference when it comes to penetration. It also has rearward deploying blades that require only 3lbs of pressure to deploy. I am shooting 64 lbs and on two large cow elk, I've had two pass throughs.

www.g5outdoors.com/#sec_tekan

G5 for life.

}}-SLIVER-->

I also shoot the shuttle T, and have had great luck.
I tested 5-7 broadheads last year, and felt best about the Shuttle.
Why would you shoot an expandable if fixed blades shoot as well. In my opinion there is no reason to risk failure.

All I can say is I shot Slick Trick's last year.....and Man-O-Man! What a flyer! They flew true and there was no messing around with sight adjustment. However, I didn't get to put them through any hide.....gotta work on my "Red Zone" approach. The forky horn bodyguard busted me WAY too early.

I shoot the Thunderhead 100 gr fixed broad heads. They seem to shoot good, but I am not apoosed to change. I also have a limited entry elk tag for Utah and want a good broadhead. I have never killed anthing with my 100 gr thunderheads, so I don't know what to compare to. What do you think of the thunder heads?

Is 100 gr ok for elk?

Bikes if I were in your shoes with that tag the first thing I'd do is make sure your bow is in perfect tune. Almost all fixed blade heads will fly with or very close to your field points from a well tuned bow. If you dont have a pro shop that can help you in your area go to Archerytalk forum and ask for help. There are some great tuners and info on that forum. A few guys there you can ship your bow to and will have it properly tuned for very little money. I've found that alot of "pro shops" are just guys selling bows and have little knowledge about properly tuning a compound. As far as fixed blades I've used Magnus stingers, Wasp Boss, Slicktricks, and a few others including expandables. They all work fine when put in the right spot but I've always had better penetration with fixed blades. Good luck with your hunt.

Well Bikes, I'm not sure why you're not getting pass-thrus...I've never had a problem with penetration. Seems like you should be generating enough energy. I personally haven't noticed any difference in penetration between fixed blades and mechanicals, but I sure have noticed a big difference in size of cut and blood trails...expandables win hands down. Fixed heads work like a charm too though, just shoot what you like. I still gotta say though, what's wrong with your expandables? You've killed 20 deer with them, that seems to me like they work just fine and dandy. And you must have been shooting expandable heads for quite a while to rack up 20 deer kills. I'd say stick with 'em!

Lot's of good BH's out there today. I shoot the Magnus Snuffer SS 100 gn. they will get the job done for sure. I have 2 pass throughs on bull elk since I started useing them, you can resharpen them very easy useing a diamond stone sharpner and all Magnus BH's come with a lifetime warrenty, bend it, break it they will replace it and at almost $35 a pack of 3 thats something to think about .

I shoot the Muzzy Mx-3 and love them. I killed 2 bears, a deer, and an elk last year with the same head. I did swap out my blades after both bears. I broke the shoulder of one bear and the elk and the head shows no damage. Good luck with your tag

WW0801

LAST EDITED ON Jun-17-08 AT 01:47PM (MST)[p]i just got a couple of G5 strikers today the only thing i dont like about them is the blades break easier than some i have shot before, but i am gonna stick with these for my LE elk hunt they fly great. the accuracy is awesome as well.

I AM THE ULTIMATESHEDFREAK!!!!

Go with a fixed head and then you won't have to worry about anything. Any of these that fly best with your setup would be awesome:
-G5 Montec
-G5 Striker
-NAP Hellrazor
-Rocky Mtn Ironhead or Blitz
-Magnus Snuffer

"Hunt hard or go home!"

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom