Need input

Randy11

Sorry to beat a dead horse, as it looks like this has been discussed before.
I'm tired of filming critters through my spotting scope and have decided to treat myself to a new high power camera for a late Christmas present.
However I cant decide between the Panasonic Fz28, Nikon P80 and Canon SX10.
I'm mainly interested in the Panasonic and Nikon, as the extra money for the Canon is important on my student income. If there is a good reason to go with the Canon instead though I'd consider it.
I really like that the Panasonic uses Leica glass, but I also own a lot of Nikon optics and know it's quality glass as well.
I guess I just cant figure out what the difference is between them that would make me choose one over the other.
I'm guessing the quality is going to be very similar and it's just features that make the difference?
Also, I assume they all will mount on my spotting scope tripod and window mounts?
Thanks in advance

Thanks for the link, it looks like they're a lot more similar than i figured. I guess I'll just head to the store and see which one catches my eye better.
Thanks

Not sure how important it would be to you, but the specs show that the Panasonic is the only one of the three that offers the RAW format.

I recently purchased the Panasonic LUMIX DMC-LX3 with that being one of the reasons for it. The other reason was the 24mm WA at the low end. BUT...this one wouldn't do what you want because the upper zoom end -- 2.5X -- is minimal for any type of wildlife photos.

TONY MANDILE
48e63dfa482a34a9.jpg

How To Hunt Coues Deer

Tony is right, you would be much ahead to go with the Lumix for it's raw support. . .

www.tonybynum.com

"Roadless areas, in general, represent some of the best fish and wildlife habitat on public lands. The bad news is that there is nothing positive about a road where fish and wildlife habitat are concerned -- absolutely nothing." (B&C Professor, Jack Ward Thomas, Fair Chase, Fall 2005, p.10).

I've been reading about RAW since you guys mentioned this, and basically it is a way to not lose image quality when you transfer off your camera?
Will the camera come with the software needed to read these files?
Thanks for the help

It isn't so much the camera/PC transfer but also on post processing. With RAW, you can make many adjustments on your computer that are almost like making them in the camera bfore you took the photo.

Plus, RAW is a non-compressed format. So when you keep the original RAW, you always have the most image information possible.

And yes, both Canon and Panasonic include decent software for procssing RAW imags. I use both because I have both brands of camera.

TONY MANDILE
48e63dfa482a34a9.jpg

How To Hunt Coues Deer

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom