Need pronghorn backstrap recipe

alsatian

Does anyone have a recipe for cooking pronghorn backstraps that they will share? Any other pronghorn recipes?

I cooked a pronghorn leg roast this past sunday evening which was pretty good. I followed my standard venison roast braising recipe: sear on all sides, add 1 cup of water and cook covered in a 325 degree oven for 3 hours, turning the meat over every 30 minutes. I also apply a coating of herbs on the meat consisting of 6 ground or crushed juniper berries, 1/2 teaspoon of marjoram, 1/2 teaspoon of thyme, 1/2 teaspoon of salt, and 1/4 teaspoon of fresh ground black pepper. I add water if needed during the cooking. I try to let the volume of liquid reduce -- without drying completely up! -- towards the end of the cooking process. I then thicken the liquid with a mixture of melted butter and flour and serve this as a gravy with the meat.

My wife & I use the same recipe we do for vension backstrap. Season your flour with salt & pepper and garlic powder, dredge the backstrap in the flour and fry over medium heat in olive oil. cook until med. rare or medium. Use the pan drippings for making gravy. Goes great with home style fried potatoes and veg. of your choice. The nice thing about using backstrap is that it will normally be tender, even when frying it.

RELH

P.S.
Alsatian! is that the frying pan hitting the stove that I hear, just wait I'll be over to help you eat all that backstrap.

Cooked some fron my goat the other night like this and it was great.

was off a 12" section in water, and pat dry with a papper towel.
season with season all and garlic salt and let sit in the refer for 20-30 min.

heat a frying pan on the stove, and add olive oil. Sear the back strap well on the outside, 4-6 min. on each side.

Add 1-1/2 cups of any red wine and reduce the heat to a simmer, and cover rolling in the wine 2 or 3 times over about 15 min.

The wine should reduce down to a few tbl. spoons of a thick sauce. spoon this over your backstraps and enjoy with a cold
beer.

NVMDF

Man, you guys put some time in. I just butterfly 1" thick. Put on the grill for about 8 minutes. Salt and pepper and serve. :)

Bottle of expensive red wine, a nice slab of backstrap, salt and pepper, touch of worsterchire sauce and some olive oil. Heat pan and olive oil nice and hot, salt and pepper backstrap and rub worsterchire sauce over it. Sear it to lock in flavors, crack open wine and pour a glass, take backstrap off heat and put on plate and feed to dog, finish off bottle of wine and go to bed.

Mike
at235.gif

HERE'S THE BEST:
PUT LOT'S OF BUTTER IN A PAN SALT AND PEPPER STRAPS.
MEDIEUM HEAT 3 3 OR 4 MIN.
THEN TAKE HONEY OR MOLASSES AND POUR OVER STRAPS TURN AND COOK ADD. 2-3 MIN.

SERVE ON A STEAK ROLL OR BUTTER ROLL....

This recipe will work wonders on any meat.
1/2 olive oil
1/2 cup orange juice
great big scoop of garlic
Couple BIG dashes Montreal Steak seasoning (buy it at Costco)
Put all the ingrediants in a one gallon zip lock bag. Add your meat and shake to coat. Squeeze out all the air and let set in the refer at least 3 or 4 days or up to a week, the longer the better. Throw it on the grill. Cook medium rare. Gauronteed delicious. Heck it'll even make an old Danner boot tender!
Wes

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom