Need Some Help

Chief23

I was hopeing that I could get a littler bit of guidance on some Mule Deer units. Here is my situation. I am 56 yrs old, I come out archery elk hunting evey year and backpac into a unit in Central Colorado. I go in just far enough that i feel gets me away from the day hunters. The unit is primarily dark timber with a few meadows.
I currently have 5 points for mule deer and I would like to keep building on them. Could someone point me in the right direction on some units that I could research a diy archery mule deer hunt that has alot of aspen and open meadows up relatively high that I could bivy in for a few days at a time that would take 0-1 p.p.to draw. Not really looking for above the tree line hunt, just a unit that I could find some deer in with a decent chance at a shot oppotunity. I have looked at some trespass hunts and private land hunts but it appears the deer are not down that low until the snow and rut brings them down. Believe me, I am not looking for any honey holes just some units that would meet that general criteria. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

In my opinion, the great thing about Colorado is that deer are widely distributed in almost any unit across the state. You probably won't kill a 200 inch monster, but decent deer can be found almost anywhere, even in units that you can draw with 0-1 pp.

My advice: go to the CDOW statistics page on the website and figure out which units can be drawn with 0-1 pp. With that list, use the NDIS Maps to check out the type of topography you're looking for and make sure there is public land. You should be able to narrow it down to a couple of good possible units.

I just realized you said that you want to keep building your deer points...the only way to do that AND hunt is to draw a deer tag as a second choice or pick up a leftover. If that's the case, don't look for units that require 0-1 points to draw...look for units that are under-applied for or typically have leftovers.

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom