Nevada Sheep unit 281

viking421a

LAST EDITED ON Dec-31-10 AT 01:44PM (MST)[p]I had the chance to hunt Nevada's unit 281 for desert sheep the last two weeks. This unit is on the bombing range which is an experience all in itself getting access to hunt here. This was the first sheep hunt I have ever been on and I spent a total of 8 days looking for sheep before I was able to take this ram. The weather was nasty for 5 or 6 days of the hunt raining all day long and socking the area in with fog.

I had several good friends along with my father in law and brother in law there helping with the hunt. None of us are sheep hunters so there was a defininte learning curve trying to figure out how to spot these things. It was tougher than I thought it would be. I ended up spotting this ram with three others feeding on a hillside about twenty minutes before dark. We came back in the next morning before light and started hiking in the almost three miles to get to them. We found them right where we left them the night before and after a very slow stalk around the hill below them I finally got into a position to take a shot about 11 am. After the shooting stopped I had this ram down at about 350 yards. He is an old brommed off busted up ram which is what I really liked about him. He was aged at 10 years old.

5459025.jpg

8117029.jpg

I was also fortunate to meet the Price family out of the St. George area. They are avid sheep hunters who were also hunting this unit with a friend. I can't say enough about how helpful they were. Just unbelievabley friendly and helpful people who even though they didn't know me went out of their way to give me a hand on this hunt. In fact once they learned that we had a sheep down they brought their mules in no questions asked to pack the ram out for me. It was a priveledge to share my hunt with them!

4423046.jpg

4719049.jpg

Congrats on a stud ram Cord! That has got to be one of the roughest and toughest critters I have ever seen. I bet he handed out some scars in his day :) That last pic with the mule tied to the cactus is awesome.

Congratulations on taking one of the rarest trophies in North America! He is a great looking old warrior and it sounds like you earned him.
I have found sheep fanatics to be some of the most helpful and generous hunters I have ever met. (I assume the Price folks were also sheep hunting?) Knowing how special my own sheep hunting experiences have been, I have become much more eager and willing to help out another lucky sheep tag holder in filling his dream.

Thanks for sharing your great experience and pictures.

Awesome old hammer head....good job man!

an old desert battle hammer like him is an exceptionally fine trophy

true trophy ram hunting is about age class....to hell with tape measures and pretentious books

ya done real good Bud...great pictures!

Thanks for the nice comments. This was a sheep hunt of a lifetime, a total kick in the pants. Too bad I have 10 years to wait before I can begin applying again!

Ya I loved the picture with the mule. Funny thing though, that mule was a bit camera shy. Every time I tried to get the angle right to take the picture she would go around the cactus. I have 4 other pictures that have the cactus in the way!

LAST EDITED ON Dec-31-10 AT 07:30PM (MST)[p](I assume
>the Price folks were also
>sheep hunting?)

Yes they were sheep hunting with a friend of theirs that had the same tag I had.

How did the other tag holders do? I saw a picture of a 160 class ram taken there this year (Mike Glock) The good thing about NV is you have two more sheep tags you can put in for. Isn't sheep hunting the best?

I never had a chance to see Glock's ram but I heard it was really nice. I understand he taped it out at 168. He is the only other tag holder that I know of that punched their tag while I was there. They still have a little time though. The season ends tomorrow!

He is definitely one old warrior and I send you my congratulations on a great hunt and trophy!!!

Congratulations on a stud ram!

I think this is the same area which I hunted 28 years ago. I wasn't called 281 at the time. I think it was #73 or something like that. Well enough flash-backs.

Excellent ram. I'm glad you shared your hunt with us!

Zeke

The mountains with the snow is the Sheep Range. The smaller mountains would be the Desert Range.

I know it's been 28 years since I hunted there so I could be all screwed up.

To me it looks like he's on the Desert Range (looking east) and the smaller ridge is Mule Deer Ridge, east of that would be the Sheep Range (snow topped).

If he's not standing on the Desert range where is he?

At any rate, this is right where I hunted! Cool!

Thanks for the info. This brings back memories. Even after almost 3 decades it is in the top 3 or 4 hunts of all time!

Zeke

Thanks nvsportsman for the info. I knew someone could set me on the right path.

Anyhooo. I hunted from the Sheep Range to the Desert Range. Never west far enough to reach the Pintwater range. It may not have been in the unit back then. I just don't remember if it was.

Units numbers and boundries have changed in the last 30 years.

Thanks, Zeke

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom