New 20 gauge pump

stinky

I am looking at getting a 20 gauge pump shotgun for the kids to use. I would have to be steel shot compatable. I am looking at a JC Higgins M21, w/a poly choke (the price winner at $175, and not sure if that is bottom dollar), a Mossberg w/a factory camo paint job, the shortest bbl (i'm thinking that is a good thing for a good for a kid), and a 870. The 870 and Mossberg both have screw in chokes and are at about $250.

I'm thinking that I've read that the polychoke was not really all that adjustable, as the pattern on some settings suffered...dat tru?

Would the PC work w/steel shot?

How durable are the Mossbergs?
John 14:6

You will be disappointed with the JC Higgens. I had one year ago and all it functioned it was not very good gun. Your other choices of the mossberg and Remington are a much better choice. Although I am more of an 870 fan the mossberg will serve you well and you will likely not give you any issues, good gun and there are after market parts available to upgrade as your kids grow. One more item, the mossberg safety is easier for younger shooters to work since it is within their sight and is thumb operated.

"Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway."

Keep your eyes on the classifieds. I just picked up a Mossberg 500 youth model for $125 this week. I expected it to be a junker but it's in great condition. Took my daughter on the youth pheasant hunt with it yesterday. I'm sneaking her out of school tomorrow to go hit it again.

Mossbergs work, 870s work better. The 870 is a little more slender and might fit smaller hands a little better.

I clean my 870 every few years and have never had a problem. I have a buddy that has to clean his mossberg routinely to keep it functioning.

mossberg 500c i have one in 20ga that my 13 yr old daughter shoots i have other mossberg shotguns as well

LAST EDITED ON Nov-24-12 AT 02:14PM (MST)[p]I agree with what Dang has to say here, "Mossbergs work, 870s work better. The 870 is a little more slender and might fit smaller hands a little better."

Dad bought me a Mossburg 500 for my 8th grade graduation present, it had a 28" barrel in Modified choke. I liked my fiends Remingtons better as they just felt better in my hands but i'll tell you, i killed a lot of birds with that 500, liked it, and did not feel limited in any way with the fixed modified choke. The Mossburg safety is fast and is really easy for younger shooters to use.

To me, it would depend on the deal. If i were looking for my kid, don't have any but if i were, and he had already been broke in on hunting with a shotgun, i might also think of a used but nice Remington 1100. I shot one of those too, paid $100. for it, and that thing was a feather bustin SOB! lol, i mean to tell ya, it felt right, didn't hardly kick, and as i recall now, few birds in range ever seemed to get away!

My upland gun now is a 870 28" modified choke. One of those can last a busy hunter a lifetime, maybe longer!

Joey

"It's all about knowing what your firearms practical limitations are and combining that with your own personal limitations!"

"Mossbergs work, 870s work better"

don't agree with this at all. i'm not saying the other way is true, either i own both and have for many years and have not had a single issue with either. they are both great pump guns. it all comes down to personal preference. you cant go wrong with either one.

I bought a 870 Remington in 20ga for my daughter. She is just a little thing and the youth model makes a difference in the felt recoil. I am not against Mossberg's as my first shotgun was a Mossberg. However, the difference between the two guns was that the Remington is a steel housing, and the Mossberg has a molded housing. That was enough info to sway my decision and go to the Remington.

I picked up a Weatherby SA 20 last year. It is old school gas operated, but it cycles FAST, it is built small and I really like it. I think I paid $350 for it. The recoil is sucked up by the operating system. I really like this little gun. It is synthtic, screw in chokes and is a fun little gun. It was a blind purchase(saw one, didn't know about it, bought it) but it was a good pickup.

"Your just jealous because _____, so you can't know anything!!"

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom