New 280ackley

muzz

Long Time Member
Just shot for load development. I think I have a shooter!
Bulls eye was my fowler shot and to the right is 3 shots at 100 yards.

8814image.jpg

O--one
B--big
A--ass
M--mistake
A--america

Nice. What's your recipe and pills? Speed?

I almost bought a 280ai this past winter then wussed out and went with the 7mag. Amazing how close they are.

"That's a special feeling, Lloyd"

Wow, I guess it's a shooter alright! Do you think you will be making a post with a target like that shooting the new 25-06 you just finished?

140 grain ttsx, 59.5 grains of H4831sc, 215 primers. Don't know the speed yet. Will chrono down the road. The 25-06 better shoot damn close to this.

O--one
B--big
A--ass
M--mistake
A--america

Sweet!! Hard to top that!!

I have a 280AI and hunted it last year again after several years in the safe. I'm not a good enough shot to do what you shot with any regularity but i've had a couple groups like that with mine when the stars all lined up. Great cartridge and i like your bullet selection!!

Sounds to me like you are set from Varmints to moose in the two new rifles. Some might ay that you are on the light side for the biggest stuff out there with the 280AI but i'd do it and not have a care in the world! A very nice 1-2 punch indeed!!

Joey

"It's all about knowing what your firearms practical limitations are and combining that with your own personal limitations!"

Thanks sage! I will shoot anything with that 280ai. It's capable of anything.
O--one
B--big
A--ass
M--mistake
A--america

Is the Target Tacked to the side of a new House being built?:D

[font color="red"]From My Smokin Cherry Red Hot Barrel & My Dead Cold Hands I Shall go down Fighting for American Pride & Rights!
I Know I'm Out Numbered by Pusssies & Brainwashed Democrats that'll Throw Their Hands in the air & I know I can't Lick the U.S. Military by Myself when they Turn on us but I'll make
you one Guarantee,They'll be Enduring a Situation where I Hope to Hell All Americans become True Americans once again & Stand up for their Rights!

I love the 280AI, really miss mine, have been ..snooping around for an action to build another one. The last one I had was built on a 7mm express, just had it rechambered. This time i'd like to have a longer heavier barrel. One place the 280 beats the 7mag, mine held 5 rnds 1 chambered and 4 in the box. With shooting like yours i bet the ones in the box stay there.

I hoping so, all I should need is one round. It was just the 280 before I had it rebarreled and I have 5 one shot kills with it. everything I shot at was DRT. I liked it as a 280 but always wanted a 280AI.

O--one
B--big
A--ass
M--mistake
A--america

LAST EDITED ON Jun-28-14 AT 11:48PM (MST)[p]2nd best thing a guy can do with the '06 hull..6/06 being first..IMO of course ;-).

Congrats on the new shootin iron, try some 145LRX in it if you get the itch, they are a great bullet.

Nice shooting! I put together a 280AI last year and I'm getting 3120fps w/145lrx 60g imr 7828ssc.

tried the 7828ssc and wasn't getting the groups I wanted. I hope this load chronos at least 3100 with the 59.5 grains of h4831sc.

O--one
B--big
A--ass
M--mistake
A--america

Remington 700, 24" barrel. hvy sporter fluted. thinking the weight is around 7.5 - 8 pounds

O--one
B--big
A--ass
M--mistake
A--america

Sweet!
I'm waiting (and waiting) on my 280 Ackley to be finished. It is a 700 action with a Shilen Remington sporter contour 24" going into a KS stock. If it shoots half as good as yours I'll be a happy camper.

NRA Life Member

Lefties are the only ones in their right minds--and I ain't talkin' politics!

If you go with h4831 or h4831sc stick around 49 to 50 grains. I know a lot of guys shooting that load and it's a sweet spot.
O--one
B--big
A--ass
M--mistake
A--america

LAST EDITED ON Jul-01-14 AT 10:51AM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON Jul-01-14 AT 10:49?AM (MST)

Great shooting!!

I finally got my 280ai to shoot how I want it.
Bottom group is 58gr of IMR 4831 140 gr Berger

IMG_20140701_063350_297_zps74daux7y.jpg

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom