NEW 5 yr structure when?

Yes,
You better, be thinking what might happen in the next few years about hunting. With the reserve almost gone and the finances on the Wildlife looking so bad, there has been talk at the Aug. Commission Meeting at Gunnision, about looking at how Mo.and Ar.run there operation. Tax funded!!!! If that happens see what happens to hunting in Colorado. Sportsmen needs to get together before it is to late!!!

Would not be much of a suprise of it became tax funded in the future now that the division of parks is part of the DOW. Mixing the two was a mistake IMO, but we will see what happens.

Romans 10:13
THE LORD IS MY ROCK
NRA LIFE MEMBER
marines.jpg

fox14.gif

You need to attend Meettings to know the reality of what is happening. When the Parks merged with the DOW some people thought it was the Parks that was in a bad financial situation.
Reality was it is the DOW that is in a bad financial situatuion.
The DOW started to show a lose in revenues in 2000 and has continuied to go down hill. What I have seen done and learned through these years it is due from regulation changes and management. I have been in several Meettings in the last year or two where I was hearing things being said that sounded like going tax funded from the DNR Director. When it was brought up to look at Ar. and Mo. on going tax funded made me worry. I confrontedone a young Commissioner that is a big sportsman and he told me don't worry,tax base would be alright and not to worry about the anti hunt groups, they would not let them get control. I don't know who he thinks he was talking to give that kind of statement. The Sportsmen needs to attend Meettings and get in volved in reality of what is really going on. I attended the Commission Meetting in Yuma, Co Nov.8-9 and there was a total of three public people that I saw there. I know Yuma is in the middle of no where, but even at other Meettings like Gunnison,Glennwood Springs,Denver, Publeo, ect. not many ever show. So I hope to see a good turn out of sportsman at the Dec.6-7 PWC Meeting in Colorado Springs!! See You there??? May all your hunts be good ones.

We need to create a right to recreate bill that would involve a system where hunting is protected from being eliminated/regulated based on popular and only regulated on science. I have been thinking about this, we could create a state wide bill that help prevent the elimination of all sorts of outdoor recreation. OHV use, 4x4s, Fishing, Hunting, Camping, Mountain Biking, Dog walking, etc. We could write a law stating that any state law regulating or eliminating out door recreation would require a 70% majority even a 60% majority is extremely hard.

This system would be the only hope that we can save our hunting in this state. We would have to write the bill wide enough in scope to include all groups of outdoor users. Including hiking, backpackers, ohv, horseman, etc.

Otherwise once the tax based system comes in they will loose the ability to manage based on science and have to work under popular vote. It will not work. Maybe we can use lottery funds for the DOW?

Look at what our state did with the trapping ban, bear ban etc. They took away a management tool based on emotion and not science. As a result our preds are high and the bears are 2 times more likely to get shot in a dumpster by an officer than they to be hunted and killed etc...

We can not afford a tax based system especially with the idiots in large numbers who live in Eagle, Pitkin, Boulder etc...

I started hunting Colorado in 1999. The plan at that time needed some tweeking. However, under pressure from the local hunters, they tweeked it the wrong way. The locals told them they wanted the NR to pay more for hunting to make up for shortages and they wanted to keep their cost the same.

With the 2005 plan they took opportunities away from the NR hunters, raised their price and kept the Res hunters the same. I visited at length with the DOW and they knew then they were in trouble. They said they needed to change the structure but the Res wouldn't stand for it. Federal funds and NR revenue pay between 60 and 70% of the bill.

They knew they were killing the goose that laid the golden egg. I think Res should have some rights over NR hunters even on Federal land, but you can't keep expecting someone else to foot the bill forever.

With the 2010 plan they threw in the towel. They are going to have to change the current system to makeup for shortfalls in revenue. It's at the point they are going to have to go after max revenue which is probably tax based funding. Sucks but it is what it is.

I think your wrong on this. Since 1994 I have seen resident prices increase a couple times. When I first bought a tags it was around $20 for deer, and the expensive one was elk at 30. Now deer is 30 elk around 40 and add in the additional items and it does cost residents more. I also question your thoughts on Nonresident vs resident hunters and the % of revenue. While a nonresident tag may cost more, ultimately most NR only buy one or 2 tags a year. And many of those NR only come here every couple years. On the flip side most of the residents I know, will hold anywhere between 3-6 tags and that is every year. Add to the fact that the majority of tags sold are to residents and i just do not believe that it would add up to 70%+ from feds (which actually give us very little for state owned and ran wildlife) and the NR. On the flip side, I do believe that we are at a point to look at reasonable tag increases.

We also need to let the DOW know that a tax base funded system is an absolute last resort.... And I mean the only way... I would on the flip side like to see us look at a wildlife surcharge on vehicle registration, or a surcharge on hotels, etc. Even just a little bit spread across a large enough base would make a huge difference.

I also believe that we need to push a right to hunt, better yet a right to recreate bill that would make the management of resources based on science and the emotional will of the people. We need to include a wide array of outdoor users and make it something that will make the trapping ban, bear hunting ban, type of legistation nearly impossible to pass.

The way to save going tax funded??? Cut some programs that don't pay their way. Set the percentage... whatever it takes; 65/35, 60/40 50/50 with hard caps, (NOT soft caps)...whatever it would take to support the wildlife. For example: if it was 65/35 on 1000 licenses, this would mean 650 licenses would be available at resident price and get rid of the non-resident licenses. Make the 350 licenses a sportsmans license. Sportsmen licenses would be available to ANY sportsman that would be willing to pay the price (that would be the old nonresident fee)to support wildlife!!! I would be willing to pay the price,(since I use to), and that was 30 years ago. Reality is the population of Colorado keeps growing, and legislators will not raise the resident licenses enough to pay the way. Also, the Commissioners will not change the regulations on resident licenses (it should be one has to be born and raised to be a resident), not 6 months to be a resident. If you don't like this idea, then I'm open to any realistic idea!

Good info guys I was curious about what I have heard (loosing $$$). Seems like that could be a good thing for the NR? Seems like cutting our tags hurt so raising them would help?

Istill would like to know when the next 5 year structure comes out. I know it starts in 2015 but when will it be finalized? I have a lot of deer points and my debate on using the will be influenced by the next set of 5 year structure.

Does the 5 year structure typically change hunt dates an hunts in general. In other words I am looking at an early rifle deer hunt could it go away or be made better worse (by dates and timing)?

>The way to save going tax
>funded??? Cut some programs that
>don't pay their way. Set
>the percentage... whatever it takes;
>65/35, 60/40 50/50 with hard
>caps, (NOT soft caps)...whatever it
>would take to support the
>wildlife. For example: if it
>was 65/35 on 1000 licenses,
>this would mean 650 licenses
>would be available at resident
>price and get rid of
>the non-resident licenses. Make the
>350 licenses a sportsmans license.
>Sportsmen licenses would be available
>to ANY sportsman that would
>be willing to pay the
>price (that would be the
>old nonresident fee)to support wildlife!!!
>I would be willing to
>pay the price,(since I use
>to), and that was 30
>years ago.

HUH?

>Istill would like to know when
>the next 5 year structure
>comes out. I know it
>starts in 2015 but when
>will it be finalized? I
>have a lot of deer
>points and my debate on
>using the will be influenced
>by the next set of
>5 year structure.
>
>Does the 5 year structure typically
>change hunt dates an hunts
>in general. In other words
>I am looking at an
>early rifle deer hunt could
>it go away or be
>made better worse (by dates
>and timing)?

Recent history suggests that the hunts and dates will not change much. You never know, though. I think that CPW is in a bit of a rut. They have found a structure that works fairly well, and I think they will be reluctant to make drastic changes.

Typically the year-long process begins during the fall of the 4th year of the current plan and concludes during the fall of the final year. I would expect to see them begin to solicit for comments next August-September, and to see a final plan one year from then.

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom